Author Topic: Playing with mini cooking sets  (Read 1766 times)

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:56:23 am »
My DD is six months old and I thought maybe I should get her one ofe those sets...The point is I am not really into cooking and my husband comes from a family where it's a tradition that wife cooks A LOT....So he suggested this idea, actually. Has anyone tried these cooking sets for toddlers? At what age?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Playing with mini cooking sets
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »
I would probably expect her to just bash a few cups together at six months old, nothing more involved than that.

Toddler cooking, however, is a whole different and wonderful world! Worth waiting for an investing in proper books and tools when she is ready.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 17:51:14 pm »
I introduced kitchen items when DS was very little. Initially just the safe items I already had in the kitchen rather than buying a set of toys. I would lay him on a soft blanket on the kitchen floor whilst I washed up or cleaned and just hand him one safe item.
I describe it here and how it built up over time if you are interested
Cycle of Activity-Help Build Independent Playtime
(it's reply 2 but the whole thread is interesting and useful)

We had a big set of plastic cookie cutters from a very early age, didn't cut cookies with them, just looked at the shapes and colours, picked them up, dropped them, put them all in a tub, emptied it out etc.  Much later these cookie cutters were used for cutting play doh, and obviously I gave them a good wash before they were used for cooking real cookies.

I also love love love a toy kitchen, whether it is a re-purposed cupboard or side board or, a cardboard box with a hob drawn on the top, a plastic kitchen set or a beautifully crafted wooden kitchen set, they are ALL great for young toddlers, as soon as they are cruising and toddling they can stand at a play cooker.  I think we got ours when DS was 1yo, he still plays with it now at 4yo (great value for money).  As soon as a LO can sit up they can play with cups and saucepans (real or toy) and will probably love exploring the shape, sound, bashability etc.

Play food is another love, again it can be plastic, wooden, knitted, whatever. Recycled food packing is great. DS learned the names of many fruit and vegetables from toy food and food cartons.  This sort of thing is great from 6 months so long as you check the size and suitability of each piece so she can't choke on it.

And as MJ&N has said, real tools when older and joining in real cooking are great. I have a child safe knife for DS to help me chop vegetables, he loves making real dinner.

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 19:46:29 pm »
At six months, any household object is something interesting to look at, but she's certainly not ready for pretend cooking yet. You can just give her some of your kitchen utensils and any child-safe bowls, cups or plates you have to rotate through as she's interested. I think Henry started playing with things like a bowl and wooden spoon around 12-14 months, but still isn't old enough to get the concept of a play kitchen at 16 months. I think 18 months + for that toy.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 20:10:29 pm »
A play kitchen is a classic 2 yo birthday present.  You'd definitely be a bit early right now.  But I'd let her play with any plastic bowls, spoons, etc that you have, and as she gets older around 12-18 mo, she'll appreciate playing with pots and pans and wooden spoons in the kitchen.  At 6 mo, I imagine she's only just sitting up?  I'd keep it really simple and tactile for now.  There's no rush.

Sounds like you might have some thoughts on gender role association? Our play kitchen (and most of the food) was bought for our son (first born) and I know MJN and creations both have sons too.  Kitchens + food play doesn't have to be a girl thing or stereotyped as female, rest assured :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 00:22:53 am »
I would say DD3 really started playing with our kitchen set (ie putting bowls in the microwave, dishes in the sink, bringing me "meals" she made) at about 14-16 months, but she has been walking since 9 months and imitates her older sisters a lot.   At 6 months I just put plastic dishes from our cupboards out for her to play with.
Heidi

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:52 am »
Thank you so much everyone for your inspirational replies! :) You are the best!!!