Author Topic: Re: 20 month old moved to BBB, advise please  (Read 661 times)

Offline Darla Lesy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 20 month old moved to BBB, advise please
« on: March 28, 2015, 15:38:49 pm »
I'm interested in hearing the reply to this as we recently moved our LO 20mo intro a big boy bed after  he crawled out twice in one day. I panicked and immediately put him in a toddler bed. The first three nights it took taking him back in about 25 times before he stayed.  Then he was up in the middle of the night for about 2 hours. Screaming and crying whenever I tried to put him down. (Recently diagnosed with a ear infection so that was probably a big part of it). On day 3 of medication and he went down good last night but up at 530 am knocking on our door. What should I be doing for the warkings in the night when he is awake and not upset but just wants out of his room /bed?   As for the early wakings, when he was Ina crib I would not  go in before 7 am unless the was upset and often he would fall back asleep. Now he knows he can get out. Any tips??

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 17:07:43 pm by Sammysmammy »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: Re: 20 month old moved to BBB, advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 17:15:01 pm »
Hi Hun,

It's really tough when your hand is forced, but it is dangerous when LO's start to climb out of the cot :(. He is very young to make the transition, DS was around a year older. A lot of parents put a baby gate on the door, so he can get up but not get out to come into your room etc, so that would be a good place to start. Apart form that, I would recommend a Gradual Withdrawal or Walk in Walk out, depending on which he responds better to. With GW, you could sit next to the bed to start with. Then the choice you have to make, is whether you use rapid return when he gets up or whether you just stick with a 'sleepy phrase' and wait it out until he gets bored and gets back into the bed himself. Having done both I would recommend the latter, as I just couldn't find the energy myself for 'rapid return' it's exhausting!  ::) But again he is very young to get the message in comparison to a 2.5/3 year old you know  ???

Another idea (if you still have the crib) would be to use one of these, if he would tolerate it:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.babycribsafetynet.com%2F&ei=GuEWVcbACOiM7AaLz4C4Aw&usg=AFQjCNHwrioqcc7Ve2_xLiHLRJAfLqgcKw

It would enable you to keep him in his cot much longer.

Thoughts  ???

Here's a image so you can see how they work :)

x.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 17:17:27 pm by Sammysmammy »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: Re: 20 month old moved to BBB, advise please
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:25 am »
How's it going Honey  ???

x.