Author Topic: Routine review to assist with STTN - 5months & EBF  (Read 1002 times)

Offline tjn2060

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Routine review to assist with STTN - 5months & EBF
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:44 am »
I'm sure we are over the worst of the 4mth growth spurt, but I really need to get to the point where DD2 sleeps more hours than we are getting at the moment, so I'm asking for comments on how to tweak our current routine so that we are in better shape.
This has been our EASY for the last week, as usual, give or take... (4hr E, 2.5hrs A, 1-1.5hr S)

Wake at 6.30am and play in our bed
7.00am Breastfeed
9.00am Nap (1-1.5hrs)
11am Breastfeed
1.30pm Nap (1-1.5hrs)
3pm Breastfeed
5.30pm Nap (40mins)
6.15pm Breastfeed
7pm Bath & Breastfeed
7.45-8pm Bed
10.40pm Dreamfeed
1.30 or 2.30am Breastfeed (both sides being offered twice in effort to get past 5.30am)
5.30am Breastfeed in bed (single side)

- Getting there again with independent sleep, still swaddled as doesn't roll over
- I intend to start food once she can sit - falls all directions still at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts from a very tired Mummy (DD1 is 2.5yrs!)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Routine review to assist with STTN - 5months & EBF
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 15:03:04 pm »
Routine-wise I don't think you're doing too badly at all :). The only thing I would suggest to change would be to bring BT earlier if you can, at the moment the day is quite long and that may be causing OT night wakings. Could you post a recent 'real' day or two when you get a chance? I suspect you may need to push A times a little in the earlier part of the day if you're not getting a consistent 1.5h+ nap but I can't quite make things add up from the sample routine you posted.  You may need to work on cutting the third nap shorter and working towards dropping that altogether too :) 

When you say you are getting there with independent sleep, what do you mean?  Have you tried resettling the 1/2am waking without a feed?

Offline tjn2060

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 15:42:57 pm »
I'll post later for you jessmum.

Working on falling asleep in her bed & not in arms/feeding. Shh/pat not working now, pu/pd trialling.

We have a small weight gain issue highlighted on Monday where she has dropped 2 of those percentile lines on the graph in 9 wks - health visitor not overly worried. Lack of milk is being investigated starting today with breastfeeding group confirming latch is good. She weights 5.22kg/11lbs 8oz & was 20wks yesterday.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 18:52:20 pm »
Hmmm if weight is a concern I would be loathe to recommend you actively cut down on night feedings....are there any points in the day you could perhaps offer an extra feed to get some more calories in?  Perhaps re-offer 30 mins after her main feed?  The milk at that time is highest in fats so might help.

Something to think about - the dream feed can disturb sleep for some babies.  If you miss it out when would she wake?  I never did the DF with either of mine. 

Hugs for the tiredness though, I have a similar age gap between my two and it can be exhausting!  If it makes you feel any better I was up twice a night at least with DS at that age too, he did develop some habit night feeds that I had to put some effort into getting rid of but you may just need to ride it out a little longer for now.  Can anyone give you a break in the daytime?