Author Topic: Scary dreams  (Read 924 times)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Scary dreams
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:32:32 am »
Over the past few weeks DD has woken up a few times crying. She says that a bad puppy was biting her so I am assuming it was a scary dream that woke her. I usually comfort her and then lay her back down when she's calm and she eventually goes to sleep. Is there anything else I should be doing?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:15 am »
Hello Hun,

Ah bless her, bad dreams typically kick in ages 2 to 4. I think you are doing the right thing by giving her as much comfort as she needs, I'm glad she is at least going back over in her own room after she wakes. Usually it is something a LO has seen or heard recently that kicks off the process in their sleep, so I do wonder if maybe a dog has frightened her at some point  ??? Maybe you could read her a story or two about friendly dogs/puppies to try and reverse that if it is the case, do you have a dog of your own, or a family members dog  ???

With DS if he wakes saying there is a monster for eg: in the wardrobe then I have always indulged him in checking, as I heard this is the best way to go, rather than dismissing fears out of hand YK  ??? Then I confirm it is not real and only a dream, but at 2 years old she will only be entering the stage where she is able to take on board what is and isn't reality. A night light may help if she doesn't already have one  ??? DS has one of these which he absolutely adores and finds very relaxing and comforting if he wakes from a bad dream.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mookie-2303-Snuggly-Puppy/dp/B00CICEVSU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427877578&sr=8-5&keywords=dream+lites

I know some parents have also made or bought 'dream catchers' if the dreams persist, and explained to their LO's it will catch the bad dreams but let them keep the good ones  :)

If she is willing to talk about her dream in the day you could try that, to see if you can figure out where it is coming from.

I hope this helps Hun. Been having some bad dreams myself lately, ugh, it sucks  ::)

((HUGS))

x.

Offline lily_layne

Re: Scary dreams
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 21:25:01 pm »
We were out with friends a few weeks ago and there dog was there. I think DD overheard someone talking about the dog biting another kid. Reading stories is a good idea. I wasn't sure if talking about it during the day was the way to go but it sounds like it is. More to post but I crying baby is calling for me...
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 15:02:24 pm »
How are things?

x.

Offline lily_layne

Re: Scary dreams
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:13 am »
She hasn't had anymore nightmares but she does still talk about puppies getting into her room. I am trying to remember to talk about puppies being outside and at their own houses before she goes to bed. There's been a dog sleeping at a house near the playground and she is quite curious about it. She always wants to see him and asks to touch him so the fear doesn't seem to be too great.

A dream catcher is a great idea. I will definitely get one for her if the dream keeps coming back. We live in a community with a lot of First Nations people (DD is the only white kid at daycare) and dream catchers are a part of their culture. I know I could get a beautiful hand-made one easily.

I get bad dreams too (mostly when I am anxious) and I hate them. Maybe we need dream catchers ;)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 19:42:24 pm »
I'm so pleased the dreams have stopped for now Honey.

We live in a community with a lot of First Nations people (DD is the only white kid at daycare) and dream catchers are a part of their culture.

Ooh yes of course, how fabulous :) I'd definitely go for one each :) I am going to get one for DS too! x.