Author Topic: Night wake for 3.5 months. Sleep training don't seem to work  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I been battling with night wake for ny DS. He would still despite having a df. I began to think is a habit. He is a big baby weights 8.5 kg.
I tried sleep training. day one he woke at 3 am and after 45 min of patting I manged to restttle without a feed and he woke at 6.30am. For the rest of the day this is his easy

E: 6.45
A
S: 8am to 9.45

E:9.45 to 10
A:
S: 11.15 to 12.50

E: 1pm ( this was bottle fed as I need to do pick up)
A
S: 2.30 to 4.30

E: 4.30
A:
E top up at 6.( I was hoping this will be his bed time but he woke up cat nap at 6.45)

E: 7 am
Bed at 8 pm

Df at 11pm

So day 2 of night , he woke  up at 3 am ( like last night) managed to settle with me patting for 20 min. And then he started waking 4, 5 and 6. By 6 I was so exhausted and fed him and he slept till 7.30

Each time he woke btw 4 to 5, I managed to pat him back.
What's going on here? Can someone shed some light ? It seems like we r going backward from where we started.

For naps. DS can self settle to sleep. So I really don't know why he woke so many times at night

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Night wake for 3.5 months. Sleep training don't seem to work
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:45 am »
Feed him hun, he's only 3.5 months and a dream feed and a night feed or even two is normal at this age :-* there are so many growth spurts in the first few months, if it's been more that 3-4h since the last feed just get on and feed and get you both back to sleep.  The fact he's a big baby is pretty irrelevant, I know common 'wisdom' suggests bigger babies should be able to sleep through sooner but my big boy had night feeds far longer than my smaller girl.  Bigger babies need more calories but still have tiny stomachs so can't necessarily take everything they need in daytime hours.  You don't say if you are bottle or breast-feeding?  Advice applies regardless but would be even more true for a breastfed baby xxx

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:24 am »
Thanks! I am bf most days other than just one bottle during the day.  Just afraid is a habit as it always seem to be 3 am despite whatever time I df.

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:36:57 am »
I might just give it a few days and try resettling and if doesn't work, will feed him. Do you think I should drop the df since regardless of df he still wakes up? Just been so sleep deprived esp with an elder sibling.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:22:54 am »
I suspect not so much a habit as more a point in the night he comes into light sleep and realises he is hungry, so wakes :). By all means try a resettle but my feeling would be if he is back up within the hour then hunger was probably the issue, particularly if he will happily then sleep off for another few hours.  The dream feed is really your call, I never did it with mine and just fed when they woke.  Means you can get to bed earlier yourself :). But if you do drop the DF you can always bring it back later down the line if you wish.  Just be prepared you may well have (in fact should probably expect) two night feeds so it all depends on when you prefer to get your solid block of sleep in x

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:51:33 am »
So DS is now 4 m and I hv moved him to 4 hr  easy. However his NW is getting worse.

Last night he woke at 10, 1 and 4 ( every 3 hrly all of which I fed thinking he is hungry). He had no problem going back to bed eventhough sometimes I wake him up from his burp.

Can he really be hungry every 3 hrs? He seems to be eating more during the night than day. I switch to bottles and he was chomping down 4 oz at the 10 pm and 1am and at 4 am I bf coz I ran out of bottle. I noticed he wasn't that hungry when he woke at 7 and was happy playing in his cot till 7.45.

Even then second feed of the day he seem less hungry. Is like he is so distracted during the day than to eat well.
 Any thoughts

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 15:00:30 pm »
How many oz is he taking in the daytime compared with the night?

Can you post a couple of days of your routine?

There is a big growth spurt at 4 months but if it's been going on a while it could be he is getting used to the night feeds.  Have you tried resettling without feeding at the first waking at least?

Offline Jess_C

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 15:13:07 pm »
I can't really tell the day time as I bf. it is around 7 min, not more than 10 min which seem short to me. His growth spurt seem  to hv started since 3.5 months.

My gut feel tells me he is more hungry at night than day. Coz when he wakes up he is not screaming for food. I tried resettling but is so hard as he is really hungry. Last time I did that he evoke every hr. Am thinking of reducing his oz gradually everyv3 days. Do you think that ll work?

To be honest he hasn't slept longer than 5 hrs for a long time.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 18:31:26 pm »
I have exactly the same problem with a 3 mos old: short day feeds, night waking. she shows signs of hunger at random times but doesn't take breast. her routine is usually 3hrs. not too interested in 7 am feed.
did you consult anyone yet? my lactation consultant also said cut night feeds. but she seems so genuinely hungry at 2 and 5 am and when she eats so short (up to 15 min if lucky) it's not easy to just make her skip a feeding.
what is the best/gentle strategy?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 19:05:11 pm »
4oz is a very small feed for a baby that weighs 8.5kg - that is likely why he woke so soon.

My DS is 4.5months, but small at 6kg, and I give him 6oz I feed. If he takes 4oz he would only go 2.5-3hrs.

He is bottle fed, but I have BF my 2 previous babies so I do get the issues properly.

Your LO prob takes 6-8oz of BM a feed now.