Author Topic: questions about cluster feeding for a 4-week-old  (Read 982 times)

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
questions about cluster feeding for a 4-week-old
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:20:34 am »
I understand cluster feeding is at 2 hr intervals in the evening.  However, my 4 week old's feeding schedule is at every 2-3 hrs.  Does cluster feeding in her case still work because most of the time she gets hungry in less than 3 hrs?  Or I should forget about it until she is truly on a 3 hr EASY.  Another question is when you do cluster feeding, do you give the normal amount of milk the baby usually takes?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: questions about cluster feeding for a 4-week-old
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:15:48 am »
Hi hun if she is still feeding 2-3 hourly I would forget about trying to 'force' a cluster feed and just continue to follow cues.  I assume you are bottle feeding from what you have said?  If you want to start introducing a cluster feed once she can manage a bit longer between feeds then you could offer a full amount (though she may not take it) at 7/10/1/4/6/8 plus a dreamfeed if you wish at 10/11pm.  For some babies it doesn't work and that's ok, just take your cues from your LO and if she is happy just with 3hrly feeds then do that.  My experience was that cluster feeding was something that my DD wanted and led by demanding (she was breastfed though), and my DS never did at all.  I never deliberately offered a cluster fed to either of them and bot did some good long stretches at night from early on, so although it's a useful tool, it's not essential :). Hope that helps x