Author Topic: Introducing solids CMPI  (Read 10525 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Introducing solids CMPI
« on: April 05, 2015, 19:57:28 pm »
DS is CMPI - was put on nutramigen from 4 weeks of age as he was vomiting up all his feeds. He has ongoing reflux issues so I suspect it is a true intolerance.

Obviously he accepts his stinky milk with no issues. He was so young when he started that he didn't know any difference.

I'm kind of nervous that solids will make him realise it is yuck  :-X :-X, and cause him to drop feeds too early. Obviously he won't be able to have any dairy for fats and calcium, so it would lead to everything being very complicated.

Obviously have a few weeks before we start yet, but just wondered if any opinions??

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 20:58:09 pm »
DS had no issues thinking solids were yuck! He loved them! We kept him gluten free as well, as my mom was a confirmed (biopsied) celiac from birth.   I used his nutramigen the liquid needed with solids and he really knew nothing different.  Honestly, he loved his milk! 
Will be back later though hon, I'm off to bed tonight xxx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Introducing solids CMPI
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 21:52:34 pm »
He was so young when he started that he didn't know any difference

I think this is the key - you might think the milk is yuck - he doesn't! TBH, I have not come across a baby on that milk who has gone off it after going onto solids xx

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:40:40 am »
That is my concern - hoping it doesn't happen as he is still a bit teeny  ::).

Offline Mashi

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:32:10 am »
I would not think it will happen Liz. And with solids, just take it slow, yk?  DS had something once a day from 6-7 months, then twice a day for a while and only at about 9-10 months was he actually eating 3 meals a day.   Just go slow and let him have fun with some solids, he will still love his milk!!!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »
DS was on neocate which was UGH super gross. He even started it at a later age (6 months) for the MSPI and reflux issues. And aside from reflux flaring up due to solids introduction and having pain with certain foods, he did not mind the taste of his bottles at all and kept his intake up just fine. He even drank the plain version rather than the flavored options (vanilla and something else I think). ICK. I think your LO will do fine :)

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 17:47:54 pm »
Thanks my friends  :) :-*.

Solid introduction didn't go well with either of my others, so I think I'm over thinking Yk??

Offline Mashi

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 17:55:10 pm »
Remind me what went wrong with J and M? I remember M was difficult but she had more severe digestive issues, didn't she?

If it helps, I can sketch out a rough idea for you of what I did with L? 

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 18:06:50 pm »
Jacob was FTT due to feeding aversion from in medicated reflux. Basically refused everything and eventually ended up on a diet of toast fingers and pear purée.

Megan did marginally better with puréed stuff then refused the lot and we started again with finger foods.

Main problem was that they both woke a ton at night and I got knackered!!

Lots of reflux flares I couldn't work out.

Thomas is my most severe refluxer, but appropriately medicated now, so he's kind of the best at this stage iyswim?? He's def the easiest personality though. Very calm baby. Only think that makes him scream is a reflux flare.

I do need a plan for sure!!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 18:24:29 pm »
Ah yes, I had forgotten they all had reflux with the MPI.  Sorry  :-[

We really kept it to fruit and veggies for the first couple of months.  Purees mixed with gluten free cereal (for thickening purposes really) and formula.  Bananas, peaches, plums, apples, pears, avocado, blueberries.  Once per day, after lunch time.  I think that was a good 6 weeks at least.  Started adding gluten free grainy things in the mornings - rice flour pancakes, mushy GF cereal, etc - mixed with new fruits like prune puree, etc.

Fruits in the mesh feeder about 7-8 months - chunks of peach or plum for instance.  About 8-9 months we added dinner.  Just bits of whatever we were having - salmon with avocado, sweet potato cooked in cubes, home fries (boiled potatoes left to go cold and then chopped in cubes and fried in olive oil for instance).  Strips of chicken, meatballs, turkey burgers, etc.  But when we added dinner in, it was only on nights when it worked, yk? Like, if he was tired or needed a bath or his nap was late, he just did not care.  I know a lot of people have their LOs on 3 full meals at 6 months and we were totally the opposite. I was in no hurry and took it really slow.  But yet we still met all of the "guidelines" esp for milk intake and he increased his solids and dropped his milk sort of naturally, yk?  At 12 months he was on a bottle in the morning and a bottle before bed with 3 meals and 2 snacks.  And that evolved slowly over 6 months, so his milk was still his main nutrition.

HTH? xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 19:12:08 pm »
Liz hun, just go super super slow. Pick one food and then stick with it a good week even, the 3-2 days thing doesn't apply eith really sensitive LOs as it takes so much longer for their guts to react sometimes.

Something like puréed cooked pumpkin mixed with the milk is a pretty good safe start, plus the pumpkin is a sweet root veg and actually tastes ok with the milk.

Personally I'd keep away from all grains to start with, go for bland veges, and if you want to try meat apparently lamb is the least allergenic and easiest to digest.

Every time we offered solids after 3-4pm we had bad nights too so I found feeding breakfast/ lunch or mid morning the best times to feed initially.

You will be fine hun x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 16:44:23 pm »

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 21:11:04 pm »
Thanks  :-* :-*.

Did you all wait until 6months proper?? He's still so refluxy that it is hard to not hope that some solids may help  :-\. They never have before of course, but I do just wonder if they might  ::) ::). I guess it's more if a teeny bit of baby rice helps rather than real solids though.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 21:32:05 pm »
We tried at about 5 1/2 months but he just wasn't into it so waited until 6 months for that reason.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 00:32:12 am »
I know we tried some solids before 6 months but I was just reading some of my old posts because I remember it not going well at all. I found one from November 2011, which puts DS around 7 months old and it says we are reintroducing solids. I guess we tried and had a bad time with them so stopped and waited awhile and tried again. I think then it was still slow going.