Author Topic: How many bottles? 9 month old snacking on them. Do I need to drop one?  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Katy Doug

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi there,

My DD is 9 months old and she has 5 bottles currently.  A good amount for her is 5oz but at bedtime she can sometimes only have 2oz.  I feed her at -

7am

11am

3pm

7pm

and a night feed (struggling to drop this)

She is on Neocate for a CMPA and I wonder if she actually likes the taste these days as she's enjoying her solids.

I wonder if dropping a bottle may help her to take more at the other feeding times?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
We were on 3 bottles by 9 months and the main reason was to get my DD to take more at a feed and it did work. We did a wake up feed, a snack mid morning then a bottle after her lunch just before her pm nap. Then she had her third bottle at bedtime, with a small snack after nap if needed and her evening solids around 4.30/5pm. I got 20oz+ a day in her that way, on more bottles she was taking less.

What are you doing with the night bottle? We dropped it by decreasing the bottle by 1oz every 3 nights and then when it got down to 2oz we just offered water and resettled. It worked well as she got used to less milk gradually.

Laura

Offline Katy Doug

• Showing Appreciation 0
We were on 3 bottles by 9 months and the main reason was to get my DD to take more at a feed and it did work. We did a wake up feed, a snack mid morning then a bottle after her lunch just before her pm nap. Then she had her third bottle at bedtime, with a small snack after nap if needed and her evening solids around 4.30/5pm. I got 20oz+ a day in her that way, on more bottles she was taking less.

What are you doing with the night bottle? We dropped it by decreasing the bottle by 1oz every 3 nights and then when it got down to 2oz we just offered water and resettled. It worked well as she got used to less milk gradually.

Laura

Thank you Laura, I think this is a good plan of action! She needs to take more milk and this sounds like it could be the answer. I'll start today and see what happens.

I'd also like to try reducing the oz at the night feed too. I'll see how the 3 bottles during the day affects the night waking and take it from there.  Did you DD stop waking after you'd done that?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
When we got down to 2oz she slept through one night so when she woke the following night we just offered water! She wasn't impressed with that and did take a while to settle but she did.  I think she woke 2 or 3 more nights then stopped. It was easier than I anticipated!

Laura

Offline Katy Doug

• Showing Appreciation 0
When we got down to 2oz she slept through one night so when she woke the following night we just offered water! She wasn't impressed with that and did take a while to settle but she did.  I think she woke 2 or 3 more nights then stopped. It was easier than I anticipated!

Laura

Sounds like a dream come true!! I did try reducing the night feed a while back but she would wake again around 4.30-5am. Not sure whether that was because she was hungry or some other reason.  I will attempt it again once she's got the hang of the dropped bottle. She only took 2oz so I think I need to bring lunch forward so there is a good gap between this and her bottle.

Will keep you posted :-)