Author Topic: Back to work dilemma!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Mommy28

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:42:57 am »
So, DD is 5.5 months and I am due to go back to work in 2 weeks. We have been successfully combination feeding in preparation for this for the past few months and so far so good. Problem is there is one more bf thrown in there that I must, must, must drop soon and I can't seem to do it (or rather DD won't let me). Our feeding pattern looks like this:

6:30/7 BF
8 Solids
10:30 FF
2:30 FF
5 BF (need to drop this!!)
7 FF

The 5pm bf comes after the cat nap and I have tried to hold her off on it as she can clearly go longer without a feed but she cries for it until I give in. I have had a couple of ideas but any guidance will be appreciated. 1. To split feed a bottle (ideally want to avoid this as I am concerned she then won't take a full BT feed). 2. To gradually introduce solids on wake up from CN instead - she has really taken to breakfast the last few days so I think she will have no problem with it.

Any thoughts? I'm having nightmares about the nursery ringing me up to come BF an unconsolable baby.

Thanks in advance

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Back to work dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:01 am »
Could you switch the 5pm and 7pm feeds around, assuming that you'll be back with her by then? Alternatively, you could possibly feed her when you pick her up.

As she will be only six months when you go back I'd focus on the milk feeds for now as solids can't really replace them yet. Later maybe, but not yet.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Mommy28

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »
Thanks for replying so quickly! Sorry should have mentioned in my first post that switching the feeds is not really an option because I work strange shifts and often don't get back until between 9/10 pm. Ideally I would like to just keep everything as it is but just cut out that 5pm feed. Think some of the issue stems from the fact that when we started to switch the feeds there are more BF in the day as the feeds are closer together so I am left with an extra one - iyswim?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 13:58:36 pm »
Hmmm. Hard to see where you could cut out a feed, really. You have a couple more weeks to work on moving to formula, and I'm guessing that when she is at nursery she will take a bottle at that time.

Is it possible to time your nursery visits (assuming you have some settling in sessions) so that you can try it out and give yourself some confidence? Maybe talk it through with nursery too. They have seen it all before and may have some strategies you could try.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 18:59:51 pm »
My DS is FF and I end up needing an extra feed in at that time as well.

What I do is offer a small 5pm feed as soon as he wakes so he isn't really hungry, and only takes 3-4oz, then takes a proper 5-6oz bedtime feed.

Like you say it will soon be replaced by solids anyway (and the CN will be dropped).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 19:10:26 pm »
I would just get whomever you have looking after her to offer a small bottle. If you aren't there I expect she won't kick up a fuss like she does when you (and your breasts!) are right there in front of her. You could also try milk with a little solid food mixed in at that time. Something milky like cereal or banana. Or even a yogurt. As MJN says it won't really add greatly to her nutrition at this age but all you really need it to do is satisfy her long enough to wait for the BT FF, no?

As pp's say she will drop the CN soon and you can push the second and third feeds later as her A times increase. I tended to drop feeds as we dropped naps.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mommy28

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »
Thanks for your input ladies.

I think your right I will just carry on allowing a small feed at 5pm and let it drop naturally along with the CN. I think I was focusing too much on the 4 hr EASY and need to learn to just go with it a bit more. I never FF my first so this is all new territory for me.