Author Topic: night feeding  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Frankiefrankiefrankie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
night feeding
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:07:38 am »
Hello, just wondering if someone can help me with my 10 month old and her need for a night feed.  She is currently on 3 days feeds of roughly 160 mls plus 3 solid meals and sometimes snacks.. she isnt a big solid eater, especially at lunch time..... her last feed is at 7pm and then  she wakes up between 1-4am for a feed.. I have reduced it to only 100mls.. cause she wakes up at random times is she still needing the night feed?  She is very small in size for her
age and doesnt eat as much as I would like... is it normal for a 10 month old to still need a night feed??? Thanks in advice for your thoughts..

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:41 am »
Hi Honey,
I would think of reducing to 3 bottles a day if she would take more pet feed. 160mlx3 gives you roughly 480ml of milk which is not enough for her age. Min requirement at this age is 20-24oz, 560-600ml per 24h. If she is eating more milk-based solids, you could think of dropping the night feed but I personally would wait until she is 1yo. I think she is also trying to tell you that she still needs it.

Babies' requirement drop to 12-14oz at 1yo and you can think of dropping a night feed completely very soon.

Another option I would think of is reviewing your feeding routine so maybe she eats slightly to much solids and therefore slightly not enough milk and that's why she wakes at night. Is she is not a great water 3 meals a day can be quite a lot. So why not post your routine?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: night feeding
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:04 am »
Hello martii85, thanks for ur quick response..
Here is her routine
6am wake up
Breakfast 7am -1 tablespoon of cereal with 40mls of formula
Formula 9am-160mls

Lunch 11.30 rice or couscous with veggies, yoghurt, fruit
Formula 2pm but lately refusing it. I end up giving it to her as she becomes drowsy.. otherwise she will not take it.

dinner 4pm: pasta or rice or lentils with veggies,  custard
Formula 7pm: 160mls

night feed 12-4am  100mls

On reflection maybe she is eating to much of a heavy lunch and that is why she is refusing her lunch bottle or it could be teething.. she is showing signs. .. Not 100%.. I wouldn't think she is wanting to drop a bottle cause she is still wanting a night feed....
 I would live to offer her formula first but she has always wanted solids first and will refuse milk if offered. .
Any suggestions would appreciated. .

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:11 am »
Hi Hon, so there is no milk at WU?
Do you offer her breakfast cereal with fruits?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:22:59 am »
Hello... above I have posted her routine.... she does not milk first.. it doesnt matter how many times I offer it.... for the last 3 days she has been refusing her lunch time milk.... I am confused as she wakes up at night for a feed... do I try to go cold turkey on her night feeding to see if she will take her lunch feed or do I reduce her lunch solid intake??

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:32:26 am »
Just then she drunk all her milk as she rejected her lunch bottle..
In total since she has woken up she consumed 450mls of formula and one tub of plain yoghurt... if she has a feed during the night, which she will it will bring her consumption to 550mls... I am confused on how to handle this???  I just assumed by now she would beable to last atleast til 5am??

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:37 am »
See seems being a baby who is not very hungry and her hungry windows are when you just offers solids.
Secondly her solid meals are really big as you offer something savoury, yoghurt and fruit as a top up.

What do you think on routine like that:
6am WU - don't offer a bottle, if you know she usually doesn't want it
7am offer a bottle
8am breakfast (just 1h not later after morning 7am bottle) as much as she wants, you may offer a top up with milk from 7am (if it's still fresh, my formula should be used 2h after being prepared)

Than two options:
a) 12noon bottle, 2pm snack, 4/5pm dinner and 6:30pm BT bottle
b) 11:00am lunch, 2:30 bottle, 4/5pm dinner, 6:30pm BT bottle

Comments:
- in both options break between last meal and mid-day bottle is 3:30-4h so she should be hungry at happily drink it.
- I wouldn't offer any fruits after lunch as it makes her really full (it's sweet so even if not very hungry she is probably happy eating) so obviously she is not interested in any milk at 2pm.
- if she takes a bottle at 2:30 she may not be hungry at 4pm for a dinner, so you may have to push it a tad later' just look out so she still takes her BT bottle at the amount of 160ml and limit dinner is she starts to eat more
- do you offer her meat? if not it would be wise to think of it or offer other protein-based meal like lentils
- it's good to offer a protein-based/meat meal at lunch so their requirements are met; and than you can go with a high-in-carbo meal at dinner, not worrying that she didn't take much if she wasn't very hungry
- you may consider giving her yoghurt on breakfast or as a snack at 2:30. At that age if they are refusing milk, yoghurt is a great way of giving them calcium they need - so it's great she is taking it.

Overall you should aim for at least 540ml so:
= 3x160ml = 480ml
= breakfast = 60ml of milk
+
= yoghurt as a back up if she doesn't take her minimum

What do you think?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 03:43:41 am »
Love your advise.. I will try this tomorrow for sure.. I will keep u posted. . Ur a superstar..

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:40 am »
Hello again... so this is what is happening now... I feed her milk first roughly at 8am and then she goes on a strike til 6pm.. then I feed her before bed and she gulps it all and then wakes up once during the night for another feed, 100mls...its like she is doing the 12 hour of not needing a feed during the day instead of night time.. how bizarre.. how do I recorrect this??? 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 13:20:06 pm »
How much milk she takes overall?
How much solids and at what times she takes?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 03:55:46 am »
. In total 380mls of formula

Solids-   
8am- breakfast 1 tablespoon of rice cereal with 30mls milk

12pm- lunch sandwiches(1 slice) or 2 tablespoons of mixed veggies, slice of cheese and a small piece of fruit.

4-4.30pm- dinner mixed veggies with pasta or lentils or couscous or rice. Sometimes scrambled eggs, pieces of chicken are offered as a fingerfood..

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:12 am »
That nightfeed is so small I'd say it's probably a comfort prop to get back to sleep rather than hunger at this age - have you tried settling without feeding or just offering a sip of water?

Are you using the fastest flow teat for the bottles?

If she is refusing milk I would stop the nightfeed to see if that helps the day and keep to the milk first, solids an hour/ hour and a half after and increase the amount of dairy in her food. The dairy like cheese and yoghurt counts towards her daily intake so that will all help.

The other thing to consider is where she is in her growth chart - is she sticking to her centile and meeting milestones etc? Some children are naturally smaller and have smaller appetites.

Laura

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:40 am »
Laura, thanks for support. Agree with what you said.
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:59 am »
I thought exactly that, that she was using it as a prop..  so before I offer her milk i attempt to put her back to sleep.. but she ends up crying... its a hunger cry..usually if she wakes up, it is easy to help settle her if it not hunger related...
I was thinking maybe she is telling me she just is not interested in her afternoon bottle and I need to stop thinking of ways of getting her to drink it.. I should just increase her solid intake and see if this will sort itself out... its been a week now and she just will not take it.. doesnt matter if I give her milk first when she  wakes up or an hour after her cereal..  fingers crossed it works.... thanks for all ur advice... I will keep u posted in acouple of days..

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 08:40:40 am »
So its been nearly 2 weeks now and she has made up her own mind that she does not want the afternoon bottle.  If she does take it, then she refuses her bed time bottle... its still a mess... she still wakes up at random times at night for a bottle feed (midnight-5am ) and she gulps it all...  should I just accept this night feed and hopefully as she gets older her solid intake will increase which I hope will help the situation or do I try cold turkey. . I just feel bad, cause she is only 7.5kgs and 10.5mths old..  what would you do?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 11:26:40 am »
Being small is not a problem Hon, is she in her curve in percentiles? Does she wet her nappies? How much milk and milk-based product does she take during day?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 21:18:20 pm »
She will get weighed on Thursdays so I will be able to see how she is going....her daily consumption is roughly like this:
Am- 190-210 milk
          60mls in cereal
           Yoghurt

Pm     yoghurt
           Custard
            Formula 160-210mls (bedtime)
            Formula 150 (night feed)
Sometime she has cheese sticks or I add moo cheese to her pasta..
She isnt the biggest eater.. maybe 2 tablespoons for lunch and 2 tavlespoons for dinner. . She loves plain yoghurt....

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 02:39:06 am »
And how old is she now..?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 03:00:44 am »
Sorry I didn't reply...  its been a sleepless couple of nights..
She is 10.5 mths now and I just got her weighed and she is 8.5kgs...
last night I had to co sleep with her.. she just would not sleep in her crib.... she started off in there and slept for 2hrs but then she cried and every time I resettled and placed her back into her crib she cried. I attempted 6 times.. I was exhausted as I worked today and the night before was similar but at least she slept in her crib majority of the night.. is it bad to think that maybe co sleeping is the solution? ????

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 05:58:57 am »
Oh Hon, there is nothing wrong about that thinking! If cosleeping is a solution which doesn't bother you and she sleeps better, that's a food choice. Remember it's about you and your child to feel good, not about millions of others opinions!

However I start to think that her NW probably has a different route then hunger honey. Is she ill, some teething involved? Would you consider opening a thread on sleep board so some nice ladies could share some advice?
~Marta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 07:02:01 am »
Thanks martiii
I think ur advice to open a thread is a good one
..I will.... co sleeping in australia or should I say my group of people is frowned upon.. but I am tired and 10 months of this roller coaster is enough... thanks for ur help.. its nice to have someone who doesnr judge.. take care xoxoxoox