Author Topic: Transition to big bed going very badly  (Read 676 times)

Offline afranklin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Transition to big bed going very badly
« on: April 15, 2015, 14:13:20 pm »
Hi ya'll,
We got a new bed for my DS (27mos) on Saturday and he's so excited about it he can't sleep! His sleep is awful, he needs/wants rocking, and refuses the crib until he's about to pass out and doesn't care anymore.

We used to just pop him in the crib and he would settle right away. Now he's bouncing around and screams bloody murder if I put him in the crib. At this point he's certainly OT.

Our routine is exactly the same as it ever was. The stuffed animals in the bed are the same. The location of the bed is where his crib was.

I put him back in bed for about 30 min last night, without talking and then I got tired of it. It became a game of yo-yo. Then I put him in crib and he screamed to be rocked. Then I rocked him until drowsy and put him in bed and 5 min later he was up asking to be rocked again. I don't want to rock all the time! We never had to before.

This is killing me, the lack of sleep. I'm supposed to work from home during his nap and right after BT, and instead I'm spending 1.5 hrs trying to get him to settle.

What should I do? We are thinking of dismantling the bed, or saying it's broken, or something, to get him to choose the crib for a while and get some sleep!

I can't go on like this, I was falling apart last night crying and overwhelmed.

Please help.
Amanda

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Transition to big bed going very badly
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 14:28:04 pm »
Unless there is a safety reason to move him to the bed I'd be tempted to just put the BBB away and go back to the crib for now.  If he's an independent sleeper can you use WIWO?  Perhaps an early bedtime if he's missed out on quite a bit of sleep last few days?  Or if he needs to be in the bed because he is climbing out of the crib, I think it may well be a case of riding it out until he gets used to it.  LOTS of playtime in, on and around the bed.  Get rid of the crib altogether.  And maybe consider gradual withdrawal if silent return to bed isn't working for now?  (((Hugs)))