Author Topic: How much sleep for 3yr 3month old?  (Read 825 times)

Offline kaipooi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
How much sleep for 3yr 3month old?
« on: April 16, 2015, 00:02:30 am »
hi,

After 2 weeks of broken camera (no clue how much he actually slept) and 1.5 weeks of illness after, I have no idea how much DS should be sleeping. Before all these began he was averaging 12ish hours of sleep. Now he gets around 11.5hrs. I try to put him down earlier but he just wakes up earlier.

Now he is crying over not getting his way. He hardly ever cries before. Petrified of thunder now. He used to sleep through thunderstorms and now he wakes screaming. It is monsoon season here 😭 every little outside sound wakes him up now when he used to sleep through them. Even neighbors walking upstairs! He has white noise since he was a baby so I am surprised he hears anything. He has always hated loud sounds though.

So, I don't know if it is OT causing this or developmental? Or his sleep needs have changed. How much does your LO sleep around this age?
Jacqueline

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:42:35 am »
(((Hugs))) hon. It's a pita when they don't sleep isn't it? Dd went through a similar stage a few weeks ago but it was fear of the dark. I do think it's developmental as she got thru it. We put a little nightlight on for a while but now she sleeps wo it again.

Also she has a set bt since January and she's started to self regulate. It takes the stress out for me as to when to do bt. Currently by is 7 and Wu can be anywhere from 6.30-8!!

Have u tried set bt?
aishi :)

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: How much sleep for 3yr 3month old?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:29:39 am »
We have set BT too but DD is definitely averaging less than 12h a night, not helped by little brother waking her up ::) lots more defiance and some big tantrums right now, some is OT after a particularly bad night but a lot I think is developmental.  I think 11.5h is pretty ok for this age x

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »
At 3.5 yo, after nap dropping, we were at 11-11.5 h.
Barbara

Offline kaipooi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 13:39:45 pm »
Hi ladies,

Thank you for your responses. It helps reading them.

Aishi, yeah he has set nap and bedtime. Yes, he still naps only because I can't put him to bed at 730pm as his dad only finishes work at 730-800pm. This was his routine before he got sick,

WU 700-730am
S 230/245pm - 415/445pm
BT 930pm

He was doing an average of a 2 hour nap and a 10 hour night. Short night but he was handling it well so I let it be as it suited his dad too. Then he fell sick and routine went out the window, disturbed nights, early and short naps, etc. OT to the max.

Oh, I just realized today that his activity level in the morning has dropped as it is school holidays and he is home with me. That could probably be why his naps are short, and fighting me at 230pm. I keep thinking he is recovering from his illness and to keep his activity low, and early naps to catch up! I took him to soft play for two hours today, pushed his nap till 300pm, and he had an undisturbed 1hr40min nap! Yay! Then a distant thunderstorm came, he didint cry nor scream! Just covered his ears with his blanket and rested :)

So yeah, I am hoping the sensitivity thing is mostly development. The sleeping thing is just me being too cautious and he probably needed a slight adjustment. Well, this is what I am thinking today. He will probably tell me otherwise tomorrow!
Jacqueline