Author Topic: 4 mth old doesn't take enough milk in daytime  (Read 2383 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 mth old doesn't take enough milk in daytime
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
My DD is fed every 3-4 hrs and the total intake within 24 hrs is about 25 oz which is fine. But the problem is that she take very less in the daytime than in the night. She can only take 3 oz for each feed in the day and she will catch up at 7pm (bedtime) 11pm(dream feed) and 3 am. Sometimes in the daytime she will finish half bottle and push the bottle away and then play for a while and then finish the rest before the nap. Already tried a lot of things like feeding in a quite room or try different teat, nothing worked. And no reflux signs. Sleeping is fine.
I hope if she can have enough milk then i can drop the dream feeding or the 3am feeding. any advice?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 4 mth old doesn't take enough milk in daytime
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 13:50:35 pm »
I know you've tried a quiet room but how about a dim room?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 15:25:20 pm »
My DS is prone to this - usually if I give him a 20min rest he will finish the feed. He takes 5-6oz every 4hr, and 6oz for one night feed.

He often wakes at 5am for the first feed though  :-\.

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:06:13 am »
I know you've tried a quiet room but how about a dim room?
didn't work

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »
She can only take 3 oz for each feed in the day and she will catch up at 7pm (bedtime) 11pm(dream feed) and 3 am.
To be honest, this sounds fine to me. I know a lot of babies drink more but mine also took only 3 oz at that point. 4 oz was if she was really hungry:p 1 -2 night feeds are very normal at this age and so waking for another feed at 3 sounds about right. I don't really think there is a problem per se. Basing this on my experience, she is waking as she needs the calories and once she is satisfied, she will go longer on her own. Good advice from Liz to split feeds. You could also try cluster feeding although I have no experience of how to do this with a bottle but at that time I would feed on wake up from catnap and before & after bed as well as a dream feed between 10 & 11.

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:24:07 am »
She can only take 3 oz for each feed in the day and she will catch up at 7pm (bedtime) 11pm(dream feed) and 3 am.
To be honest, this sounds fine to me. I know a lot of babies drink more but mine also took only 3 oz at that point. 4 oz was if she was really hungry:p 1 -2 night feeds are very normal at this age and so waking for another feed at 3 sounds about right. I don't really think there is a problem per se. Basing this on my experience, she is waking as she needs the calories and once she is satisfied, she will go longer on her own. Good advice from Liz to split feeds. You could also try cluster feeding although I have no experience of how to do this with a bottle but at that time I would feed on wake up from catnap and before & after bed as well as a dream feed between 10 & 11.
yes I know it is not a big problem when I compare my baby with other babies who have serious sleeping and feeding issue. maybe she was too easy before and I am so spoiled with that. but I know I have to face lots of changes as she grows up. I can still manage the 1 or 2 night waking so far. and even though I have to feed her small and frequent I still can keep her on the routine with flexibility. as a FTM I have to admit I am really afraid of sth like sleep regression, teething, refusing milk and so on. but I am doing my best! Thanks for ur help! it is really a helpful forum!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:25:48 am by sszskristy »

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:35:46 am »
The first year definitely isn't easy. But we are all doing our best. And you are doing a great job with your baby:)
Have you visited our birth clubs, hun? Its a great way to chat with other mums going through similar experiences. Its a wonderful support system to have. This is the one you would post on
3-6 months, Part 42