Author Topic: Trying to wean baby from bottle to soppy cup with straw- help!  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hi all! Baby is now 9 months old. She drinks from a cup with a state no problem if water is in it. As soon as I put milk in it she only takes a few sips and that's it... I could offer her the same cup 2 seconds later with water and she would drink it all. Any help of suggestions on weaning? I still want to keep her night time feed with a bottle for now. Just her morning /lunch/ afternoon bottles in the straw cup would be nice

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Trying to wean baby from bottle to soppy cup with straw- help!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 15:08:41 pm »
I didn't try to move mine from bottle to sippy cup or straw for milk until 12 months. I felt under 12 months he needed the comfort of the bottle but also the ability to guzzle it down efficiently.  At 12 months I switched the BT milk to a sippy cup plus solids snack before the BT routine began and stopped his BT bottle, went very smoothly. But the morning bottle he was very resistant to, even though he was older than your LO. Despite him taking milk fine from a sippy for supper (although it was a small amount) he found it much harder to switch the morning bottle. After trying several times over that month he took a straw inside his bottle rather than the teat, I was then able to switch the bottle.
Initially I split the teat so he could sit up to drink rather than laying more backwards, but yk I think I discovered later that this is not advisable to split the teat, perhaps someone else has information on this.  After that it was a few trials with the straw popped into his bottle before he took it.  We used a wide disposable straw as that's what he would accept.

Maybe she's a bit young to switch all those feeds to a cup?

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 20:55:14 pm »
Yes I agree it maybe a little premature to move her over to the dippy cup. I just don't want to wait till the very end and then run into challenges with it. I never thought to sacrifice and nipple with a state in it- good thinking! In trying to cut out her dream feed right now... So after that I might try it again and see how she takes it. Thanks again for the advice!

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 21:02:53 pm »
Does she take milk from a bottle? Or only from the breast? It could be a temperature issue, where she either only likes warm milk or she only likes cold drinks from the sippy cup. Mine started drinking milk from a sippy at 11 months. We didn't try before that, so I don't know if he would have.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:04:16 am »
Formula feed, bottle is warm and sippy cup is usually cold water... I have been warming it lukewarm to get her use to it.

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:17:58 am »
Following along as I've been trying to achieve this with my son for months now. I think we'll more likely just drop the bottle before bed altogether now, but my health visitor did suggest waiting til he was a bit older and then taking him shopping for a special bedtime milk cup to help with the switch.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 08:08:16 am »
Yes I agree it maybe a little premature to move her over to the dippy cup. I just don't want to wait till the very end and then run into challenges with it.

There isn't an end that they need to be off a bottle by! It's recommended that you drop bottles around 1 but they are all so different providing you are sensible with the bottle it really isn't an issue. The problems come from toddlers walking around with a bottle in their mouths all day, so if a milk drink in a bottle is kept short and taken away after it's fine to not rush dropping it before she is ready. Make sure you clean teeth after the night milk drink. If she is happily drinking water from a sippy then I'm sure she will take milk eventually, maybe cold cow's milk will be more to her liking which you can do when she is 1.

We stopped my DD's morning milk bottle just after 1 as she was refusing breakfast so she got a drink of milk in a sippy cup mid-morning with toast instead. It took her a while to drink the whole lot, but she did eventually. Her bedtime bottle was switched for a sippy at about 18 months and then she stopped wanting bedtime milk so that got dropped totally. My DS had a bedtime bottle until 2.5 but teeth were cleaned after so it wasn't an issue really.

Don't forget after 1 they only need 12-14oz of dairy to get their needs met and that doesn't have to be liquid milk. It becomes a drink rather than a food like it is before 1 so you don't need to worry about getting more oz in her.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 08:13:51 am »
It ends up being part of the natural process really. My DS1 was off all bottles by 18 months as he just didn't want them anymore - and he dropped everything but the bedtime one by about 14 months.

My DD hung onto her bottle before nap and before bed longer - but the pre nap one got dropped because she wasn't hungry enough for it after lunch - and at about age 2 I started giving her supper with her brother and a drink of milk in a cup.

Neither of them were ever big milk drinkers beyond babyhood though. It really did all just vanish into a normal diet with dairy.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:10 am »
Don't forget after 1 they only need 12-14oz of dairy to get their needs met and that doesn't have to be liquid milk. It becomes a drink rather than a food like it is before 1 so you don't need to worry about getting more oz in her.
This was definitely helpful here. Knowing that it's ok for milk intake to drop puts far less pressure on getting the sippy or straw accepted.

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:09:47 am »
Following with interest  :D
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 22:57:16 pm »
Hi there

I have asked this question elsewhere but keen to get your thoughts - if they don't finish the BT bottle (or you purposefully reduce the volume of the made up formula) might this cause night waking?

Also what kind of cups are people using for this weaning?  My daughter has several cups she uses for water drinking (teat/spout, straw built into the bottle and one of those Avent 360 no spill ones) but since her response to milk in all of them so far except the teat/spouty type one has been a strange look, then on and off sipping, is it OK to use the teat/spout one?  It looks like this the photo I have attached... is that too close to a bottle do you think?

Sorry to hijack your post with my own questions!! :D 
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 21:45:11 pm »
Hi ladymugg, I have answered your question on your other thread. There is quite a difference in age between your LO and OP's LO so the advice is likely to differ.