Author Topic: 4.am starts.  (Read 2097 times)

Offline kimberley1983

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 20, 2015, 19:24:39 pm »
Hiya I'm new to this forum and are really hoping someone can offer me some advice /tips. Iv got a 2 year old who has never been a great sleeper but recently he's started to wake at 4.am. sometimes if I'm lucky I can settle him  back down if I lay next to him but other times more often than not he's awake for the day. I struggle to always get to him as iv got a 8 week old baby and sometimes I'm feeding him. Can any one please suggest anything ? Thank you xx
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 20:01:50 pm by Martii85 »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 20:05:08 pm »
Hi Hon I have just moved your question to Sleepinf for Toddlers board as your LO is 2yo. Can you please post your routine? Thank you!
~Marta

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 18:02:13 pm »
Thank you. My routine has always been the same. I take him up to bed at about 6.45pm and say goodnight talk about what we've done that day then kiss him goodnight.  He's normally asleep for 7. He goes to bed no problem at all x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 18:03:48 pm »
Routine is rather when he naps and when he wakes in the morning. Do you wake, does he wake by himself:)?
~Marta

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 19:09:05 pm »
He wakes by himself . Iv never had to wake him . He's always awake before I am . Does that make a difference?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 19:16:29 pm »
Everything matters Hon:).

So what I would ask you to post is his WU time, nap time, nap length. BT is 7pm and he goes down independently without problem, yes? Does he go to the nursery? Has something changed recently in his life?
~Marta

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 19:46:33 pm »
He hasn't had a day time nap since he was about 15 months I went back to work then and he knocked it on the head himself.  He starts nursery tomorrow -going one day a week for now. The big change in his life is his baby brother arriving 9 weeks ago, but I think he's adapted well. I mean he's going through the terrible 2s so wants his own way etc and sometimes goes to hit the baby but overall he's really good with him x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 20:04:01 pm »
Ok so he stopped napping at all at 15mo? How much night sleep is he getting notmally? Before waking at 4am? I have to say I have never heard about a baby who dropped the nap so early so I would suspect he could have some OT build up after months and that back fired a bit.
Was he sleeping alone in his cot through the whole night before or did he sleep with you? Was he waking at night before?

Second thought I have is 2y developmental leap which usually can result in some sleep disturbances but still sleeping 7pm-4am seems extremely low!

Let me ask my colleagues what they think!
~Marta

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:12:01 am »
Yes he stopped napping altogether. He goes from 7pm til 4am. He's been In his own bed (because he climbs our of the cot ) since December . Up until then if I'm honest it was hit and miss where he would sleep . Sometimes he would be in with me in the early hours when he woke but not since December time. Thank you x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 20:02:38 pm »
Honey - he must be terribly OT. Kiddos usually nap until 3/4yo and of course some would drop nap early but early means 2-2.5h and those ones usually have 13-14h nights. Secondly - probably a little baby is waking him at night and being a little man already he probably wants to be where everybody is so with your a a baby.

So firstly - any chances you can make him nap during day? Even with accidental parenting even? Did he napped in the nursery?

Are you BF your 9wo? Is it you who is addressing baby needs or is your DH helping? Sorry for those questions but just thinking on creating a plan for you.
~Marta

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 14:55:50 pm »
Hello yes I'm breastfeeding my 9 week old, he only wakes once in the night and this usually is before 4 so I don't think he's waking my 2 year old. Unfortunapartbe my partner is in the army so it's often just me and the kids through the week on are own. When my 2 year old had a nap it was always in his pram downstairs and iv tried everything to get him to map but he just won't s do it. Sometimes if we are in the car he might shut his eyes but other than  that he won't give in. My health visitor told  me to set my alarm for 30mns before he wakes for the day and gently disturb  him so he goes back into a deep sleep this worked when he was younger but not this time. Xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 4.am starts.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 19:20:14 pm »
When did he turn 2 honey?

Is his room dark, have you got black out blinds or curtains? I don't know where you are in the world but here it is getting a lot lighter in the mornings and the light and birdsong here can certainly wake up E.

Are there any signs of teething at all? The 2 year molars can cause quite a lot of discomfort. Could you try offering medicine part way through the night to see if he sleeps a little longer in the morning?
~ Naomi ~

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 19:34:50 pm »
He's getting a black out blind fitted on Friday thankfully because the sun shines very early here lol. He's got his teeth or so the dentist tells me but he doesn't seem in any discomfort. He turned 2 in march. He's never been a good sleeper at all but he's dreadful now . Xx thank you for your help. X

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 4.am starts.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:18 am »
(((hugs)))  those EWs sounds really tough.  You must be exhausted.

The dreadful sleep now may be because he's just got himself really OT with the EWs for so long.

Have you considered trying a gro clock/lights on a timer or similar?  Combined with blackout blinds this could help to shift his WU later.
Gro-Clock / Lights on a timer: What, Why, When and How
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:38 am »
We talked with the ladies that maybe you could do a very early BT one day maybe when daddy is at home to help you and when the blinds will come. Let's say after 13h from WU so 5pm?

I would also say that the method suggested by your HV could also work but I would do it for 4nights in a row and probably around 1h earlier not 30min.
~Marta