Author Topic: Please help my toddler won't sleep through the night  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Please help my toddler won't sleep through the night
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 20:14:52 pm »
It's good news that he settled a little quicker for you tonight :)

I wonder whether he's ready for his nursery naps to be capped to a more similar length each day (maybe ask them to ensure he doesn't sleep more than an hour) and then you try for the same a weekend. Like Katherine suggests, maybe he'd manage with some quiet time lying down in his bed at the same time each day even without actually falling asleep.

As a starting point you could talk to him in the morning about how you are going to let him have a rest time each day and if he's willing to stay in his bed for the allotted nap hour (even if he doesn't sleep) then you'd be able to work on moving out of the room over a period of time using the gradual withdrawal technique, if you feel this would suit you better than walk in walk out. This technique may also help to reassure him tif he's feeling anxious about being away from you. I know my DD has really gone through patches of needing me present more often.

You would use the same techniques for  settling him at BT if he needs your help then and also for all night wakings. I appreciate this would be much harder for you if they go on for hours at a time, could you make yourself comfortable in his room, sleeping next to him on a mattress on the floor or similar?

I wonder if you try this and then get him up and have a physically active morning for him, see if he'll take a nap and then aim for BT no later than 7 if he's not had a nap or perhaps 7.30/8 if he does take a nap and see how you get on. These proposed timings are guesswork really so it may take a little tweaking, perhaps you could post what hapens each day for us to look at and review.

You are very welcome for the suggestions. We have all come here for help at one time or another for support and have stuck around to help others. If you feel like you have any insight on any of the other posts please do feel free to add your thoughts, none of us are experts here, just parents like you :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 20:32:33 pm »
Just wanted to say that I agree with all the lovely ladies's advice!
We are all here happy to help you as you have to have so more sleep, especially being pregnant:)!
~Marta

Offline Jewelz87

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 06:39:03 am »
So last night he went down at 8.30 without too much of a struggle but then red every hr after 1am. I don't know what he wants cos its for about 10 mins then he goes back to sleep after i retuck him in. But i'm shattered as I've been woken every hr then he was up at 6.30 an hr earlier than normal!

Help again please x
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:41:25 am by Jewelz87 »

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 21:09:06 pm »
I do think he's really OT, and I think you should carry on with the plan as we set out. It will be hard I'm sorry, but I think consistency is really going to be key for you all.

Do you think there might be any element of discomfort, teething for example?

What was his nap length today? Could you get him to sleep any earlier?
~ Naomi ~

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:25 am »
How are you getting on?