Author Topic: LSN baby making life impossible!  (Read 9019 times)

Offline morvayc

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 13:00:04 pm »
Martii, for the 3 NWs in the night, I didn't go to her at all.....they were just brief, and she put herself back to sleep. 

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 15:13:01 pm »
If she settles on her own, I wouldnt even consider it a nw.  I only count it as a nw if I have to go in with dd.  Kids are up so much through the night, if they don't need you then its probably just a random wakeup for who knows whatever reason.

I would probably stick with the a times you have for 1 week, let her nap as long as she wants.  Then after 1 week reasses and see if you need to shorten nap or push bedtime later or whatever.  You might find if the nights get better from going to one nap, and the nap may start to shorten naturally.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 15:39:33 pm »
Agree with Tink:) no intervention means no NW:))).
~Marta

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 15:41:20 pm »
If she short naps, which for her is either 30 minutes or 1hr10-15min, do you still suggest not doing a second nap?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 16:32:51 pm »
Hi. Yes I was surprised that he is doing such a long A time so quickly. But yes its the quality of the sleep and morning wu time that tells me it works. Our main problem lately was EW and it took me a long time to be brave enough to try a 1.5hr nap - but that is what helped. Like you I was totally lost and couldn't work out whether his behaviour ( some NWs,  grumpy EWS ) was OT, UT or what.  And no I couldn't find anyone on here with a baby like mine either! !

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 16:50:54 pm »
LOL...thank you, Mackjack! If you wouldn't mind, could you post what your day looks like?  The thought of capping her nap the first week she is on 1, frankly scares me to death.  I'm also a little skeptical because when she does short nap, she never tacks on....but what do I know?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 17:02:59 pm by morvayc »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 17:14:43 pm »
Honey I wouldn't cap the nap in the first week of being on 1 nap. I would stick to whatever she needs and cope with 10h night. Some OT will come because of being on 1 nap, it's always like that honey. So firstly let her settle in a new routine for 1-2 weeks. Mayb she will shorten the nap by herself. If not, start capping.
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 18:40:10 pm »
Hi. Sure - it's usually something like this:

WU 6 - 6.20 am
S 12.30ish til 14.00ish (if you read the thread I sent you,  you'll see its been a bit later recently due to a new-found fascination with removing his sleeping bag and playing with it for up to 45 mins - but for your purposes,  I'd disregard that)
BT asleep approx 18.45 - sometimes a little later, sometimes a little earlier

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 18:42:26 pm »
.. and you prob think yuk, 6am is still an EW but my rule is anytime from 6am on is acceptable and more importantly he wakes happy and is content to sit in his cot and wait for me.  When he was waking at 5.15/45 he was crying,  grumpy and impatient.

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 18:52:55 pm »
Thanks, Mackjack.  I haven't had a WU of 6am in months, and frankly, 6am has always been the goal.  I didn't think I was asking for much, but it turns out that my LO has different ideas :)  Do you do set nap and BT regardless? So your LO is doing a much shorter A time after nap, eh?  Out of curiousity, how long does it take your LO to settle before nap? Today for example, my LO was fussing for 30 minutes in the crib before she fell asleep, so I assumed I'd get a short UT 1hr15min nap, or a 30minute OT nap, but she slept just shy of 2hrs......so I haven't a clue.  Did you gradually work up to 6-6.5hrs A time before nap, or go drastically to that time just to see if it worked?  Like I said before, my LO gives no tired signs, so I'm just kind of going middle of the road at around 5hrs A time, give or take.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 20:57:23 pm »
Think our LOs are kindred spirits ☺

I do set nap and BT. Had to because at about 12 months it was clear that 2 naps weren't working. Second nap was getting so late,  I could only let him have 15mins. It was getting ridiculous to manage his routine. So i just jumped straight to it - think I started with nap at 12 and BT at 7 but BT is a bit earlier now. I used to let him nap as long as he liked but that only worked for a short while before I realised I had to cap it.  My first LO, DD, used to do 3 hr naps and 11/12 hr nights at this age so i couldnt believe DS could get by on such a short nap.Honestly,  his sleep needs change so fast, I fully expect to have to cap the nap even more soon.

Yes, the general advice is not to jump to such high A times but with the help of this forum I realised that my LO didn't follow the usual "rules" so to speak.

As i mentioned he does sometimes take a long time to settle which I always assumed was UT but it doesn't really seem to have a bearing on the quality of his nap.

I know it's long but if you can read my thread I sent you ( if you haven't already) it starts when he was about 12 months and I was struggling with the 2-1 but it continues up til now where I've been capping his nap.

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 11:30:15 am »
So, we had a fairly good night.....although short.  Yesterday went something like this:

WU-6:40 (but that was after an initial wu of 430, 440, 455, then sleep from 6-640)
A-4hrs55min (but is it more like 5hrs55min because of the hour she was awake???)
S-11:35-1:25 (1hr50min)
A-5hr25min
S-6:55-5:20 (STTN!....but only a 10hr25min night)

It's great that she had no NWs, or restlessness starting at around 4am, which we usually have, but I still pray fro a 6am wake up!  I don't know how to get there when she wakes so darn early.  If capping the nap is the only way I'll get an 11 hr night, I don't know how to do that, as I need her to take at least a 2 hr nap, just to get to a still EBT, without a ridiculously long A to bed.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 12:47:58 pm »
The other option is pushing nap later.  Just throw out A times and set nap time no earlier than say 11:45 or 12.  A lot of kids don't really need you to go by A time once they get older, and will benefit better from a set nap time   :)

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »
That was my thought as well, just scared as that would put her at about 6hrs A time when I've been getting good naps at 5hrs A, give or take.  I'll give it a go today because she had a decent night.  Wish us luck!

Offline morvayc

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 19:15:00 pm »
Ok ladies, I'm back and at a total loss.  Things have not improved, rather they have gotten worse.  For the past 1-2 weeks, I have been getting 9-10 hr nights max!  That puts wake up anytime between 4 and 5am :-\ Naps have been anywhere from 1hr15min-2hrs.  I feel like the day is shot from the minute we wake, as I am already at a 14hr day with a 6pm BT....which I never do btw, as baby will just wake at 330 (which she did do one day last week).  The earliest I will go is 630pm.  I try my very best to not put down for nap before 11am, so generally it's around 11am.  I realize that this is early, but given that we've already been up since 4 or 5, I can't really stretch that too much more.  A 2 hr nap has us waking at 1pm, so even a 6hr A to BT still only puts us at 7pm BT, which won't do us any good in pushing WU a tad later.  I'm totally stuck.  I have been advised to totally ditch a second nap, but I just don't know how to get out of this routine.  LO has always been LSN, but she seemed to switch overnight from needing a 10-10.5 hr night, to a 9-10hr night.  LO is 16 months btw.  Do I need to stretch all of her As, or cut her nap, or both????? Please please any advice from BTDTmoms would be appreciated!  I'll add that when she wakes at this time, I generally ignore, as me going in signals to her that it's time to party.  I have tried a bottle at this time, and a lullaby seahorse which lights up and plays music for a bout 5 minutes before turning off.  This has provided minimal success.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 19:18:19 pm by morvayc »