Author Topic: Is anything wrong with my easy? 10 mo still freq. wu at night  (Read 5042 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Up for the day at 730, will usually BF if he hasn't done so around 6 or 630
E 830 breakfast
A 730-1030 or 11
S 1030 -1130

E 12 bf lunch at 1
A 1130-3 or 330
S 330-445

E bf at 5 dinner at 6
A 445-745, bath time is around 7 and sometimes we've been going for a little walk after to help him wind down but it's not every night.
S 745 Bf and bedtime

The other night he did his longest stretch EVER  from 730-115. I've stopped df but he usually wakes around 1030 or 1130. I'll resettle him with his paci and his nights are generally every 2.5 hrs he's up. Lately he's been waking up more often in the early am. Like every hr from 4 on. I can usually resettle but I have been nursing him for some of the waking bc when I pick him up to settle him he roots really bad. He takes full feeds like he's starving. I was wondering if the ew could be bc he's getting too much sleep for his naps now? I was told to aim for 2.5 hrs and sometimes I don't get in there I  time (yesterday dd had a poo accident as I walking to the door lol). Mil also suggested that maybe since he's in our room (in his crib) he's waking. Now when he gets up he usually is happy and playing and lagging and banging the sides of his crib. Eventually though he will stand up and start yelling and crying looking at us in bed. What's the whole low sleep needs thing? Is it possible this is what he has? My husband's Co workers grandson just turned 2 m and sleeps from 12 a to 7 a...and I know lots of other babies that do. Dh thinks I should try formula at night to see if that would help but I'm afraid giving him a bottle right before bt would make him want to nurse even more when he wakes up. When I come home form work o thursdays he's going bonkers before I can even put my purse down just to nurse regardless of when his last bottle was.

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Is anything wrong with my easy? 10 mo still freq. wu at night
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:06 am »
Couple of thoughts - routine-wise I think you'd be best to decide which nap to keep 'long' and then trim the other one to get one full-length nap ie 1.5h or more.  At the moment you have two 'middling' kind of naps and that may not be as restful.  So either push out first A to get 1.5h or more, then offer a catnap in the afternoon to get you to bedtime.  Or keep first nap where it is but trim to 45 mins in the first place (may need to go shorter but that's a good place to start if he is used to an hour) and bring pm nap earlier hoping for 1.5h or more.  Then full A time before bed.  Which do y think would suit you best?

NWs could be related to not enough A, but am I right in thinking you've never had consistent STTN from him? My feeling is you probably need a consistent approach to NWs.  How are you settling him right now at the times you aren't feeding?  I know it's hard if he's in your room, at this age it can be really distracting though.  Is there anywhere you can move him?  I don't think your wakings are hunger related really, most babies can get through the night by this age with no or one feeding if they are having adequate milk and solids in the day (milk as more important before age 1).  If he has a paci can you teach him to replug?  Scatter lots in his crib so he can find one easily?  And then when he wakes ignore him unless he really needs you, and then only interact to say in a boring quiet voice "find your paci, lie down, sleep time" or something similar.  You could pat the mattress too if that helps him understand.  What you want ideally is for him to settle himself back down without you having to do anything for him like find his paci, pat his back or feed him.  You can be there with him to reassure, and then use gradual withdrawal to remove your self from the situation :). As I may have mentioned before we got into a bit of a habit feed trap with DS and just weren't being consistent with how we dealt with NWs, once we got that in hand our nights (although not perfect) improved greatly. 

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:55:15 am »
Sorry meant to add DSs routine as he is a v similar age

Currently WU 6-6.30
A 4.5h (just pushed to this)
Long nap uncapped
A 4h-4h15 if nap too short to make it to bedtime
CN 30-45 mins
BT 7pm

Or if first nap a good length then try to push through to an early BT of 6pm.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:45 pm »
His naps just recently started being that long and generally I'll let his am nap go longer and cap his pm nap. You are correct in that his nights have never ever been consistent...except for the every 2 hr wus lol.
I think I'll keep his am routine the same and then push his pm a little. I know his a time should be longer and in the pm it usually is more like 4 hrs but by 3.5 hrs he is almost ot when I put him down, which I think is bc he's not getting enough sleep at night esp now with his ew.
If I don't feed to resettle I give a paci. Sometimes it works other times he won't take it. We were planning on him and dd sharing a room as soon as he was sttn so I'm not sure what we would do. We might have to temporarily take dsd room over (she's only here every other week anyways) and let her share with dsd until we get it figured out and leave ds in our room in his crib so it's not too much change...unless maybe changing the room might make mix things up a little for him. We could put him in dsd room and put her in dd room....I remember around this age is when we started letting dd fuss a little and just listened to her cries. If she was distressed I'd go in but if was more just whining we would let her be. She didn't sttn consistently until she was maybe 2.

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 18:30:34 pm »
So he had a good am nap from 1015 to 1145. I generally like him to go down around 730 but I'm not sure what I should do with his next nap.

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 18:45:03 pm »
What time was WU today?  I'd guess maybe try for a nap around 3.15/30 for an hour or so?  Then usual BT?

Sorry just read back and you mention EWs but I couldn't see those on your EASY ??? Or is he up for the day from 6/6.30?

It's not my place to tell you how to organise your sleeping arrangements :). But if you do have the capacity for DS to go in a room on his own, at least for a while, I think that would greatly help your cause.  It does sound to me like some sleep training will be needed to get him sleeping more consistently at night, that doesn't have to be big or scary and I will happily help you through it if you are ready.  It sounds to me like he has become accustomed to having your help to settle at night, even if he goes to sleep independently at bedtime (have I remembered that correctly?) but hopefully if he already has some independent sleep skills it shouldn't be too painful a process for either of you x

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 19:48:51 pm »
Wu today was 630/645. I heard him at 645 so I assume it wasn't much sooner . The ews aren't real ones I guess...it's new as of last week. He will wake up every after around 4. He will resettle with paci but it's obviously short lived and then he's up around 645. He was waking at 730 for a while but this every hr starting at 4 thing has thrown that off. I prefer him to be up at 630 though bc it helps keep his naps at decent times. He does go down for naps and bt independently ( if he doesn't fall asleep on the breast at bt). I'll talk to dh about rearranging things for a bit to get his trained. He's definitely gotten used to me being there to help settle him

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:12:15 am »
So his nap was 310-415 ( I wanted to cap it at an hr but didn't make it lol. ). So he was showing tired cues at 700 and I stretched it to 730 but he didn't go down until 830. I feel like it was OT since I tried to push it out from his tired cues. Id lay him in his crib and he would end up standing up crying. I wouldn't go in until he was distressed sounding. When Id pick him up to settle he would root like crazy!!!! I nursed him and he took full feeds, like he hadn't eaten all day. I know we are week 45 and that's right in the middle of a wonder week, and im wondering if theres a growth spurt to?

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
Could be a growth spurt but honestly I think more likely OT baby used to help resettling at night  :-\ if and when you're ready I'm happy to help with a plan for the NWs x

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:44 am »
What would the plan be...just so i can prepare lol!!

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 09:51:20 am »
I would change up BT routine so he doesn't fall asleep on the breast, just do a short song or story afterwards but make sure he goes down fully awake.  Then at NWs stay out of the room unless he really needs you.  You will need to listen closely to his cries, my DS can be very loud but not actually need me if you know what I mean?  But if he does need you, go in but just sit next to his cot, assure him of your presence using your voice (a key phrase for sleep can be helpful) but try to minimise the amount you do for him.  If you do feel you need to do something try a back rub or resting a hand on him until calm - both may become props but are more easily weaned by a gradual withdrawal type plan where you intervene less over a period of time.  But personally I would avoid re plugging his paci for him or picking him up unless absolutely necessary.  It's kind of up to you about feeds, I'd be inclined to go cold-turkey really but you may want to keep one feed e.g. early morning but make yourself a rule you don't feed before e.g. 5am.  What do you think?  Will DH be able to help?  For a nursing mum it's often easier if Dad can take over the NWs as LO can't get milk from them, but it's perfectly do-able yourself too if you are ready x

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 13:08:05 pm »
I can start the not falling asleep on the breast now even though we have rearranged rooms yet right? He doesn't do it every night but it's definitely something I feel in could start to work on now if it's ok??
I'm hoping dh will help...it's a toss up really. I just plan on doing it myself which will be hard for me just bc I hate seeing them upset but I know it needs to happen. I saw on my fb that we went through this with dd at 1 yr and I still remember how horrible it was and I really want to avoid that.ive just been told that for a bf baby it was normal but I feel like I'm the only one going through it...

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
You are definitely not the only one - check out the hundreds of posts on these boards :-* how's it been going?

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 00:45:31 am »
Better (knock on wood). He's been going to be awake after his feeds at bedtime and has had fewer wakings. I think we've only had 2 a night for the last few nights. Still trying to figure out the room situation. Dh isn't on board. But I'm happy he's stooped the 4 5 and 6 am wake ups. He's been getting up around d 630 645. And then his nights are around 12 or 1 and 3 ish

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:11:56 am »
Glad there's been some improvement x