Author Topic: It's all gone to hell in a handcart  (Read 10564 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
It's all gone to hell in a handcart
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:41:31 am »
I always had a good laugh when I read the quote from Mamaholmes in this post from 2 to 1 nap - how, when and the bumps but I am now living this portion
5. Know the signs of OT - if naps start getting shorter, morning wake up times get earlier or your LO starts waking frequently at night, chances are they are getting OT. They might also start taking aaaages to fall asleep (although this could also be a sign that they are UT, so only really significant if one of the other things is happening too) or getting very distressed at bedtime/naptime or during NW (SA type behaviour).
and it isn't funny. I really need some help.

Background - We have been the 2-1 since 7 months when we moved to a long am/short pm routine. As her A is moving towards 4.5hrs, we have successfully had a handful of one nap days and honestly, things were going great.
Our routine on
2 nap days -- 4.15 A before both am nap & CN with bed 1.40mins later (she cannot do longer, I have tried)
1 nap days - If her nap ends at 1.30pm or later, I have gone straight to bed after 4 hrs. We have had 7 days on & off of BT between 5.30 & 6 & she has done 13.5-14 hour nights.

Then we hit  Leap 7 of the wonder weeks and everything has broken! She will still nap well but needs 5 minutes of help and resettles in between. She is fine during her A time right up to being put into her crib at bedtime at which point she will cling to me and start crying. She also started waking earlier & earlier -- between 4.30 & 5.30 every day for the past two weeks now, regardless of BT. I first thought OT as it was coming to a 10ish hour night but now nights are 8 hours, sometimes a bit more. This is a former 12 hr+ night sleeper!

Thinking it was SA, I have been staying in her room and comforting her. She will sleep off but wake as soon as I leave the room even if I have stayed for 20 + minutes. And then it takes over an hour to get her back down. I'm sure some SA is at play but also OT and with her finally falling asleep 1 hour after the actual time, she is madly over tired leading to more NWs and EWs. DH & I have come up with multiple game plans but no success yet. I really need a lot of help, please!

PLAN 1- Gradual Withdrawl - if she sleeps on her own, she will make it through the night fine -- even when she finally sleeps on her own, she is up the moment I leave the room.

PLAN 2- We found that whether she sleeps early - 5.30/6 on 1 nap days or 7.30/8 on 2 nap days, she is still up at 5.30ish because of the accumulated OT (I'm guessing), so we thought let's go for 1 nap days with an early BT because at least then total night sleep is more and then we can get back on track the next day with 2 naps.

PLAN 3- We need to get out of this OT cycle, so do whatever it takes to get her to sleep without wasting a moment and after we have got back on track, sleep train again to over come the props. Yesterday, I held her, I patted her, I nursed her, I bounced, rocked & sang till I was blue in the face...and it still took an hour to get her down & she was up 45 minutes later (OT again) needing a resettle and up for the day at 5.30.

Katie suggested I try a short am/long pm routine for a while and it made a lot of sense because with the other routine on 1 or 2 nap days, she is still going to sleep completely tired out and any delay leads to massive OT, so that is today's plan.

I need all the help you can give me, ladies. This is a great sleeper - even when she stopped settling independently recently, we still were getting 12hr+ nights. This is so unlike her. She is not teething. She will also not let DH settle her anymore.

Help?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:55:12 am by newkidontheblock »

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: It's all gone to hell in a handcart
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:00:37 am »
Hugs Fleur, I'm here to help and support :). Can you post last 3-4 days EASY?

One thing slightly confuses me - on one nap days, why BT after 4h when a CN would be after 4h15??

Long nights are common in the switch to one nap, BUT they don't last forever. I'm guessing what may have happened is initially with 4h15/4h A times she was tired enough to pull the long nights on a one-nap day.  Then she got used to the A times and couldn't manage as long a night (realistically expecting any more than 12h for any more than a few days during transition/illness is pretty unlikely, imho) so did a perfectly reasonable but shorter night.  Then because you had an early start you've ended up with some long days and OT has set in.

I think I've said before but I don't think one nap is sustainable with less than 4.5h A either side of nap, probably closer to 5h for most babies.  So I might suggest if short am doesn't suit, go back to a normal A first thing, then long nap but limit to 2h, then another full A and a longer CN aiming for a 13h day. Hopefully that will give more A in the day but not OT at BT, and with luck a better WU.

Out of interest does Eris have a 'normal' BT or does it vary quite a bit?

More hugs, this will pass but very willing to hold hands through it xx

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:07 am »
Thank you, Katherine. 2 weeks of this and I'm flummoxed & shattered. I can now fully understand how frustrating it must have been with B's EWs. So happy that that phase is over for you guys.

on one nap days, why BT after 4h when a CN would be after 4h15??
She has always needed a shorter A to bed than she does before naps. 4 is actually pushing it and only started being alright once her A moved to 4.15.

Out of interest does Eris have a 'normal' BT or does it vary quite a bit?
Till 7 months, BT was consistently 7pm. However, once her am nap started lengthening & only a pm CN was needed, I've had to vary BT depending on when the CN ended. It has always been between 6.15 & 7.

Long nights are common in the switch to one nap, BUT they don't last forever.
Regd the long nights, I completely agree. What I felt was, if she has an EBT and wakes earlier than usual but has had a good night's rest (11.5-12), I would just take it from there and have 2 naps on that day instead. But that never happened. Instead of WU at 7, she would wake anywhere between 7.30 & 8. I don't understand exactly what has gone wrong. I know she is OT but how she got so OT so quickly is a bit beyond me. I have gone through my logs & she has consistently been getting 14 - 15 hours sleep overall and always long nights. Now her nights are around 8 -9 hours:S Unless I get her into bed at 5, then I get 12 hours.

I don't think one nap is sustainable with less than 4.5h A either side of nap, probably closer to 5h for most babies.
Definitely, we weren't trying to shift to a total 1 nap routine but just being flexible between the 2. Actually since she won't do UT naps and is prone to NWs in the first part of the night if she gets less than her total day sleep requirements per length of day, we opted for one nap day with EBT instead of an extra long day and it was working out great.

Since 12th April, she has needed help at BT, consistently taking over an hour to fall asleep, and on the 17th, the EWs started - so I guess the OT was just accumulating. As we are unable to get her to sleep on time, the OT is just increasing. I have been careful to keep the day short. I have started capping the am nap so that pm happens earlier, to keep the day at 12 hours as she only needs 2 hours day sleep.

I don't think the BT resistance is OT only. There is SA at play too and.. I can't put my finger on what else. The leap we just finished was the 'world of sequences' so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it too.

Anyway, our routine..
Tues
WU-4.50 (could not RS. Got her out of bed at 6)
Nap 1 - 10.15-12.25
Nap 2- 4.55 - 5.30
PD for bed - 7.30 (I was trying 2 hours A as you suggested) Kept waking every 10 minutes. Sleep - 8.30
WU screaming & needed RS at 10,1,5 & 6.20

Wed
WU- 6.20
Nap 1 - 11-12.50
PD for bed - 5    Sleep -6

Thursday 23/4
WU - 5.50
Nap 1 - 10.20-11.45
Nap 2 - 4.10-4.40
PD for Bed- 6.20 Sleep - 7.30
Needed RS -8.30  Sleep - 9

A times might seem long before am nap on Tuesday & Wednesday but that is because we kept her in bed and she was dozing on & off.

Also wanted to add that the days before this started happening were 2 nap days, so quite inexplicable what has suddenly snapped.

I hope you can shed some light on the situation. I honestly feel that the only way out of this is for her to sleep on time at BT, whether with help or independently. Otherwise we will never catch up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:43:50 am by newkidontheblock »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:49:57 am »
Hmmm, with the longer A before the CN though...surely she's OT going for her CN then??  I mean, it doesn't make sense that she could handle 4h15 perfectly well, have a CN, then another A time then bed but not handle 4h15 before BT??  I wonder if that's why she has always done such a tiny A after her CN?  I guess you'd never know it was an OT nap as I'm guessing you always wake her up from it.

That's a pretty consistent BT in my book :). I tend to vary the CN length to hit the same BT of 7pm, so anywhere 30-45 mins, but no reason BT can't vary a touch with a consistent CN length.  A set BT has always worked well for us in terms of settling.  But I think B is a pretty easy-going sleeper apart from his tendency to early mornings....(thank you for your kind words about that :) at least you know I understand how much EWs suck!).

Remind me she doesn't have teeth yet does she?  Have you tried meds as a one-off to see if that helps with settling?

Tues I'm thinking the 2h A was too long, not because it's *always* too long but because she'd had such a long day, 12h A time by the time you put her down for bed.  Wondering if she may have accepted a CN a bit earlier??  Given how long her morning A was.....but that's by the by now :). I guess Wednesday's nap may have been OT too.  I seem to remember getting a lot of 1h50 naps when DD was OT on one nap.

Hmmm interesting that the two days before were two nap days.....how did they go?  Any chance this could have been UT become OT??

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:34 pm »
I guess you'd never know it was an OT nap as I'm guessing you always wake her up from it.
I never wake her from it. She wakes up 30/35 minutes on the dot. No luck extending either. Even the A before the CN..I try to get her down much earlier.. That's just when she sleeps off. In fact, it is taking longer and longer, even with a capped am.

Reg the short A before bed, even previously when we were on 2 naps + CN, she goes right to bed after CN. The entire bedtime routine with bath and all takes 45 minutes. When we got on this routine, we would do a 30 minute CN and move straight to bedtime routine and she would sleep even 1.15 later. I don't know why age needs a short A before bed but this has always been the case.

She doesn't have one tooth to her name:( I'll try meds tonight. She does seem warm actually. Today we did short am, long pm. I think that's the only way we can buy ourselves some time at BT. I'll check out those days and post tonight. Thank you, Katherine

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 13:46:11 pm »
No problem hun :-* part of me feels you may just have hit the yucky hit of 2-1 where nothing works though :(. With DD at this point we just set nap and bedtime and stuck it out, messy but we got through xxx

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 14:17:51 pm »
(((Hugs))), Fleur. Here to hold your hand, honey. :-*

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 14:19:50 pm »
HUGS Fleur  :-*

Just to clarify ... so if you put her to bed at 5 she sleeps off OK and STTN 12 hours? If that is true than I think what happened is her BT has become 5 pm and now everything after that will cause her OT.  :( I would go back to 2 naps for a while and slowly push her BT back to 7. Is that manageable on 2 naps? If not than maybe you should consistently switch to 1 nap and slowly push her nap and BT to the desired time. You always say she is a creature of habit so I think this switching back an forth between 2 and 1 nap days and variable BT does not work too well for her. Try to keep it consistent and change things slowly. I hope this helps  :-* 
*Suzanna*

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 14:46:27 pm »
Thank you for hugs, ladies. Much needed:) This is so frustrating. I sort out one thing and everything goes smoothly until the blasted wonder week rolls around.

part of me feels you may just have hit the yucky hit of 2-1 where nothing works though
Yes, yes, a million times, yes. I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I thought I would get through this one without a hitch. Lol. Also, I was mistaken, the days before she started needing help at BT were 2 naps days. 3 days before this happening were 1 nap days, which I've chalked up to UT. And yes, due to trouble at BT, she consistently went down later so that's where the OT showed up:(
14/4 - WU - 7.15      Nap 1- 11.30-2          PD for bed - 6      Sleep - 6.30
15/4 - WU -7            Nap 1- 11.15-1.20     PD for bed -5.20   Sleep - 5.45
16/4- WU- 7             Nap 1- 11.15-1.30     PD for bed - 5.30  Sleep - 6.20
Now that I see it here, I can see where the OT came from. The next morning she woke at 5.50am. Nap 1 - 10-12    CN- 4.25-4.50  PD for bed 6.30   Sleep - 8.30
All these 4 days are in the WW stormy week right under the cloud. I medicated today, Katherine. No difference. At least we can rule that out.

Just to clarify ... so if you put her to bed at 5 she sleeps off OK and STTN 12 hours?
Nope, irrespective of when I PD, there is lots of crying and it takes almost an hour to settle her. What I meant was, if she is going to WU at 5 anyway, the earlier I get her into bed, the longer the night:p Seems like it's become a habitual waking, really.

I feel a lot of this is developmental - whereas 2 weeks ago she would keep pushing up on her knees but lie back down, now she keeps standing - again & again & again. She also keeps turning from one side to the other and crawling all over the crib:S Tracy talks about them involuntarily practicing their skills and I think that is also happening. She is so keen on standing. 

I will try to be consistent with BT, Suzanna. I do think that it will help. No option but to cap naps and aim for a fixed BT. She's really hitting me with everything she's got

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 15:00:08 pm »
Hugs Fleur, just keep repeating, it will pass, it will pass.....

Offline katie80

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 15:08:14 pm »
Ugh... pulling up to standing was a rough milestone for both my boys. :P

I think I've said before but I don't think one nap is sustainable with less than 4.5h A either side of nap, probably closer to 5h for most babies.  So I might suggest if short am doesn't suit, go back to a normal A first thing, then long nap but limit to 2h, then another full A and a longer CN aiming for a 13h day. Hopefully that will give more A in the day but not OT at BT, and with luck a better WU.
I do think this is very true too and a bit of what led into the issue.  Unless she can sustain an 11:30ish nap for 2.5-3hr, with 4.5hr A after, I'd try for 2 naps more often than one.

More (((hugs)))

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 15:12:29 pm »
Yes, it does look like a developmental thing. HUGS  :-* IT is so hard but it will pass and we are here for you  ;)
*Suzanna*

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:04 pm »
I'm shattered. I felt like we had taken one step forward yesterday. Our day was
WU - 5.50      Nap 1- 9.40-10.20 (capped)    Nap 2 - 2.30-4.20  PD for bed - 6.45 Sleep - 7.15
Cried out a few times but resettled herself.

Then today hit us
WU - 5.05 - settled her   
WU and would not settle - 6.15
Nap 1- 10-10.30 (capped)   
Nap 2- madness! Dh decided to PD at 2, which was too early. He then tried again at 2.15 & 2.30. I finally had to nurse her down and she slept 3.10-3.40.
This is why I avoided this routine - pm nap is so uncertain no matter how exhausted she may be. She was literally falling down with tiredness the entire A time. So 2 x 30 minute naps all day. 

What would you'll have done in this situation? I decided to go straight to bed and I PD by 5. Normally, she would sleep without a problem as she would be so tired but today, she screamed the roof down and I have finally got her down by 6. It didn't help matters that I have been throwing up all day and DH isn't home either. What do I do? This certainly won't help matters
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:47:37 pm by newkidontheblock »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 13:04:27 pm »
Hugs hun, tomorrow is a new day. Take it from WU time. Do a normal A minus 15 mins and let her sleep. Then see where you're at. Fwiw I think PD for second nap could actually have been too late but what's done is done. I didn't like short am for the same reason though it would have been great for us in many respects. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 13:14:36 pm »
If that helps Fleur, out routine around 9-12mo was:
WU 7am or before but never started the day before 7am
Nap 1 after 4:15-4:45A capped at 1.5h
Nap 2 at 4pm to 4:30, never later than 4:30, never longer than 30min
BT at 7pm
Than I had to APOP a catnap but it also worked. But I also pushed A in the morning till 4:45.

You can also try short long, but I think at that stage morning cannot be longer than 15-20min Hon.
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 13:22:36 pm »
Thanks, Katherine. Yes, tomorrow is a new day.

Martha, you said never started the day before 7. What is he woke at 5 and didn't settle? Or did that never happen? Our routine before this was similar to what you have posted and has only stopped working because she is taking an hour to sleep and is getting horribly OT. But I am going back to long am-short pm. This is much too scary

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 14:44:37 pm »
Frankly speaking it probably was happening but I just acted as it didn't. I mean I am never checking if he is asleep or not in the morning. I often here him from 5 till 7 am but I do nothing if this is only a squick. Or I do as little as possible. He is/was usually awake before 7 but in a darkened room so probably thinking it's night time.

I also wake my baby in the morning. You know? I ALWAYS come at 7am no matter if he moans or sleep or lies quietly. I think that even if he is 14mo he gets the idea and knows that it's not the time for WU and that mummy will come when the time comes. So he usually doesnt cry on WU...:).
~Marta

Offline katie80

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 15:11:43 pm »
(((Hugs))), Fleur... take some deep breaths. :-* I can't tell you how many times Charlie has had 2x30min nap days (waaaay too many ::)). Sometimes he crashed and did a pretty good night afterward, so here's hoping! Sorry you're unwell. Head to bed as early as you can and try to get some rest.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 15:23:11 pm »
Thanks Katie :-* Hope you have a good night too:) And day.. I have no idea what time it is for you now.

Martha, I used to do exactly the same thing. WU at 7 sharp..leave in bed chatting even if she woke earlier and down for the night 7 sharp. This isn't just squeaks or cries though. It's full blown awake screaming at around 5:( The routine you wrote, it was the daycare one right + CN on the way home? So good that he handles a decent A after the CN.

How do I overcome this BT resistance? No idea where it has come from and with such vehemence!

Offline katie80

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 18:36:07 pm »
Two thoughts... it's developmental/OT, which means it will resolve with consistency and patience... or, she's come through the WW needing more A time after the pm CN and she's UT resisting leading to OT. What do you think?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:02 am »
it's developmental/OT, which means it will resolve with consistency and patience
This was my first thought. Also in the early wakings post they mention developmental changes as well as an early sleep phase being common causes.

she's come through the WW needing more A time after the pm CN and she's UT resisting leading to OT.
Her A times are up. I'm getting CN resistance even in the sling and she is consistently falling asleep closer to 4.30. She then wakes up in 30 minutes on the dot. I tried 2 hours the other day and it was a pretty bad night.

I have another thought. Please bear with me as it isn't a very nice one. I've been re reading my baby whisperer book and Tracy has one case study where she talks about manipulation. Ugh, such an awful word. And we're just out of the world of sequences WW. Could it be just her thinking if I yell this way and for this long, mum and dad will come running? Tracy spefically talks about early morning wakings here. Because I can't explain it otherwise - if she sleeps at 7, she's up at 5. If she sleeps at 6, she's up at 5.30. It's nonsensical. Today she woke up at 5.30, so 11.5 hour night but not good enough because she normally would have slept till 7 for sure. The thing is, I'm not sure how to tackle this if so. 1 hour BT resistance is mental, especially with us helping her every step of the way.

I have a few questions, please.
1. Any ideas for how to stop her standing? She's in a sleep sack which was supposed to prevent her from doing this but isn't doing the trick. I do think that this is problem #1.

2. Doesn't this seem more like a habitual waking? If so, have any of you'll tried Wake to sleep? A bit scared to try but out of options.

3. What if I try to get back to a 7-7 day? How would I even go about it? PM nap is so uncertain unless I APOP it and she can't do a long A to bed after that. How would I manage it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:34:55 am by newkidontheblock »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 05:59:07 am »
Hun she's not manipulating you, she doesn't have the cognitive capacity to do that :-* if she's yelling, she needs you for *some* reason.  You are probably still battling through OT but with a hefty dose of 2-1 silliness right now.  If her nights are shortening that is also another sign of nap transition. 

You can't stop her standing.  If it's developmental you have to ride it out, both mine have stood just fine in sleep sacks and can even walk in them to an extent.  I think they stop climbing for a while but that's about it.

I've never tried wake to sleep but have a feeling Katie may have done....I'll let her chime in on that one.  But it won't work if she is just done sleeping yk?  After an 11.5h night I'd be doubtful, but you could always try it.

Getting back to 7-7 is tricky and will probably take time.  We often advise in this situation to try to get the routine stable with the WU you've got, and then shift in increments as for DST.  I wonder if that may not work though during transition.  Would you consider setting your first nap time at least?  So base it on what A you think she can manage and a typical WU for now, say 4.5h A or 10am (based on 5.30am WU).  PD at whichever is the later time.  Then you can push it forward in 15 minute increments.  Wdyt?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 06:27:44 am »
The word 'manipulation' has a negative connotation but I meant it more as its base meaning - learning to control something. As Tracy puts it, I think this situation shows how insidious APing can be - one bad habit leads to another. We replaced the holding prop for a bum patting one. But yes, I think I'm giving her too much credit.

I know 11.5 seems like enough sleep but not in Eris's case, yk? I've been looking through our logs of recent weeks and any NW would lead to a super later WU. She always made it up:( I guess different babies handle it differently. We have always been poor nappers but great night sleepers:) I'll try setting the first nap as you've suggested. Thanks :-*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 08:42:52 am »
Hugs, I know how frustrating it is. What I've noticed with mine is that there just seem to be phases where whatever you do, however hard you try and however much opportunity you give, they just don't seem to be getting the rest they need.  You will probably find as with previous WWs etc that she will suddenly snap out of it, but until then it may be a case of gritting your teeth and getting through it.  If it makes you feel any better B was up at 5.30ish after a rubbish night and has fallen asleep in the car at 9.20am ::) it will have to be a short am day here, not looking forward to it!!!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »
Hugs right back at you. Early wakings are the worst. You'll are on a 7-7 routine now, right? With B though, you can see why sleep is disturbed - teething, so many milestones. Here, zilch:p Anyway, I am going to just do whatever I can and cross my fingers & toes

psst : Just got a 10 minute CN. Hurrah!:p

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 12:50:40 pm »
Oh yuck, had one of those the other day here too. Currently fighting him for a pm nap :( :(

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 13:40:47 pm »
Did it work? I thought things would get smoother as we neared the big 1

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 15:17:36 pm »
Hmm 35 min am nap (I woke) then second nap 5h10 later in car :o :o so no, not really!!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 20:37:26 pm »
How are you getting on Fleur?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 04:44:18 am »
So-so. Just putting one foot on front of the other and getting through the day: ) and you? Thanks for checking up on us

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 06:28:23 am »
Keep going :). One day we will look back and this phase won't seem so long.  I know it was awful with DD but I have no permanent scars ;) xx

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 14:37:08 pm »
 :) :) Thanks for the encouragement. Much needed and appreciated

Offline katie80

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 04:26:19 am »
Keep going :). One day we will look back and this phase won't seem so long.  I know it was awful with DD but I have no permanent scars ;) xx
So true... the year that Claire was teething her 2yr molars (from 2-2.5yrs) and I was pregnant with G, we basically never made up for daylight savings time ending. She woke between 5:30 and 6am for the majority of 6mo and I can 'almost' chuckle about it now. (The 'almost' is because I'm currently reliving it with Charlie, her twin born 5.5yrs later :P, except we're in daylight savings time! ::) ;))

Sorry, I'm so slow to get to this. I agree with all Katherine has advised. There was mention of W2S and that I've done it, which is true but only for naps. I will tell you if there's teeth (which I don't think) or heavy OT (possible) involved, I don't know that it works so well, as even though it may be a habitual 10/10.5hr, it's hard to overcome those wakeful hormones. In the past few weeks, there have been a couple times Charlie has woken at both 4/4:30 and then been up for the day at 5/5:30. ::) I was thinking about trying W2S at one point too, but decided against it after those instances. :P So, just my two cents... it may be totally different in your case and worth it. :-\

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 12:07:11 pm »
Thanks Katie :-* Wish you could get some sleep too :-\ Don't know how things will be when this girl starts teething. Yikes!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »
She has no teeth yet Fleur:)?
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 13:02:29 pm »
Nope:p Hey, Marta, I wanted to ask..I remember reading once that you said F would do a long nap in nursery and then 10-15 minutes in car? When did you start with that routine? And how soon was BT after that?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 13:12:30 pm »
I think we started on the routine of long/short in Mis-October so F was 8mo. First weeks with 45min second nap, than from 8,5 till 11mo it was 20-30min and if shorter he was OT. 11-12mo I stopped capping the first nap at 1.5h. He would do a catnap here and there from that moment on. But I just accepted. Some days he refused and was fine, some days he took really long first nap and still needed a catnap so:
pre7am wakeup
11:45/12:00 nap
4pm nap for 10-20min. Wake by 4:45 the latest.
7pm BT (no refusals at all).
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 14:30:26 pm »
7pm BT (no refusals at all).
Are you sure he's spirited? Such an angel:) Thanks for sharing

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 17:38:06 pm »
Haha these was the best routine we ever achieve! But still I had NW from 8,5mo till 10m(on and off) and from 11mo until now quite often like a week with NW and a week without. And this is mainly teething or illness. And some OT cumulated after 2:1 around 12-13mo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 17:39:45 pm by Martii85 »
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 15:00:33 pm »
Oh, I'm so worried about the big bad teeth showing up. Lol.

Okay, ladies, things are much much better but I need your insights yet again, please. These are the last 3 days
29/4
WU - 7 (woohoo!)
Nap 1 - 11.40 - 1.50 (meant to wake her at 1.30 but chickened out)
CN - 6.10-6.20 (I woke her. Would not sleep sooner)
Bed - 7.40 (needed a tiny bit of help)

30/4
WU - 6.30 :-\
Nap 1 - 11.10- 1.30
CN - Refused. Closed her eyes for 5 minutes and that's it.
Bed - 7 (SS)
WU crying at 9 - drained a bottle and slept

1/5
WU - 7
Nap 1 - 11.55- 2
Bed - 6.30 (Was falling asleep while nursing from 6.10 onwards. On PD stayed quiet and seemed asleep for a while. Then she started crying and standing. I settled her and she seemed to be falling asleep but then started playing instead. It was as if she took a power nap and was refreshed once more.   
Sleep - 8 :'( :'(

^^ This is what has me confounded. She seems to be fine with a long A broken by a 10-15 minute nap. Yesterday a 5 minute nap and she made it to bed. But today? Should I have PD later? Should I just have stuck to a 7pm BT after a nap ending at 2? This is the first time ever that I think she was UT but it seems so unlikely :-\ I don't know how else to explain it since she wasn't crying and seemed happy.

Is it that A times go out the window around this time? Is it possible for babies who previously couldn't handle long As to bed to suddenly need them? Because today seemed so much like the days I described when I started this thread (except for the crying) and I am really wondering what's happening

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 15:08:01 pm »
Just jumping in ... my experience with DS is that set WU, nap and BT worked best at this age. That is what we are doing with DD. BTW if she took a CN at 6:10 the other day then her body might feel that EBT is a CN kwim? So I would stick with the 7 pm bedtime even if she wakes at 2 pm.
*Suzanna*

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 15:19:43 pm »
That's what I was also thinking, Suzanna. It was so absurd today. I am having such trouble getting a CN out of her and then she goes and treats BT like a CN for the first time ever! Okay, I'm just going to stick to 7-7 day and cross my fingers, toes & eyes! :-*

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 16:18:47 pm »
Good luck  ;)
*Suzanna*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 16:39:12 pm »
Good luck from me too :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 18:34:09 pm »
Okay, I'm just going to stick to 7-7 day and cross my fingers, toes & eyes! :-*
LOL, hope you don't get stuck! ;) :-*

FWIW, this has happened with Charlie a lot in the last month and I think sometimes it's down to him almost falling asleep while nursing (sometimes it's when I haven't medicated for teeth too). As he's never been a great napper, he's often fallen asleep feeding at BT, but I've really tried to watch it lately as it seems to cause more issues than not. So, if he dozes too much or falls asleep but wakes as I put him down, then he can have a really hard time settling.

So glad you're getting better wake-ups! :)

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 02:39:56 am »
Thanks Katie. Yes it really puts me in a tricky situation when she is falling asleep nursing. If I keep waking her, she doesn't eat well and gets her second wind anyway. So yesterday I kept standing & sitting to keep her awake and I thought I managed to put her down absolutely dead tired but awake. We both overslept this morning and woke at 7.20. So much for my 7-7 day. Must set alarm!

How are the EWs with Charlie going?

Offline katie80

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 04:11:22 am »
Not good... up at 4:57 today after a 7pm bedtime. ::) Just can't break through the OT/teeth, I guess. :'( Thanks for asking, though. :-* 7:20 sounds amazing!! :D