Author Topic: Transition to Big Bed - Tips?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: April 24, 2015, 20:25:36 pm »
We're going to transition Henry (17 months) from his crib to a twin-size bed this weekend. The bed is the bottom part of a bunk bed, without the top part set up. We're able to use the mattress without a box spring, so he can climb in and out of the bed by himself. We set up the bed two weeks ago and have been moving his toys and things into the new room and letting him play in the room and bed. I put up a bunch of animal decals on the wall and he loves them, so it's his new favorite room. He's always wanting me to go in there and look at his monkey on the wall. :)

I thought about doing something with his crib in his new room or his new bed in his old room at first to make the transition easier in two steps, but we decided to just do it in one step because assembling the furniture multiple times would be a big pain, and we don't want it to take too long as my baby is due in 6 weeks and my mom will be arriving in 3 weeks, and because he's adaptable and a good sleeper and we hope it will go pretty smoothly.

I've tried to get him to nap in the new bed a couple of times without success. Yesterday I put him on his bed with some books when he was good and sleepy and left him. He was quiet for 15 minutes and I thought he was going to sleep, but he got out of bed and came looking for me, so I put him in his crib. Today I moved his blanket, pillow, stuffed animal and white noise from his crib to his new bed and had him lie down on it, then I left and closed the door. (He sleeps with his door closed and can't open doors yet.) He cried for a couple of minutes when I left, I went in once to reassure him for a  couple minutes, then he settled down to his falling-asleep moan and I thought that he was going to sleep. But then I heard him get out of bed and start playing with his toys.  :-[ So I put him in his  crib again.

Now between the two beds he's been down for an hour and a half and is still not asleep. He's gently whining in his crib right now. I still think he'll fall asleep eventually, because he always does, but I'm afraid that with his nap so late it's going to make bed time in his new bed even harder! I usually don't cap naps and he sleeps 2-3 hours, but today I might wake him up at 4 or 4:30 for 9:00 bed time. (It's usually 8, but he's shifted onto a late schedule since we were sick and I'm just letting the bed time alone until we've got the new room settled.)

I need some kind of game plan for the switch.
-If he starts crying when we leave him there tonight, obviously we comfort him, but how much? For how long? How long do we wait?
-What do we do when we hear him get out of bed? He can't get out of his room. I don't want him to end up sleeping on the floor, which is what happened with his "Montessori floor bed" when he was 9 months.
-What if he just won't go to sleep? Do we give up and put him in his crib in his old room at some point, or keep going for as long as it takes?
-What happens if he wakes up and cries or gets out of bed during the night? He never has NW anymore, so we don't have a usual response. I don't want to make any bad habits of him getting attention in the middle of the night, but I also know I can't just neglect him if he's scared in his new bed and room.

Sorry, I know this is a long post. I did read some of the transition success stories and found them helpful, though most of them are with children older than Henry. He's a Spirited toddler, if that helps, but a great independent sleeper from 5 months on and very adaptable. Changing his bed and nap times by 30-60 minutes never bothers him much. His sleep needs are high end of normal.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transition to Big Bed - Tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 20:46:08 pm »
We had a really smooth transition from cot to BBB because DS's cot turned into a toddler bed, so he was in the same room and basically in the same bed but without the bars.  He did at some point tell me he wanted the bars back and wanted his cot back but I worked out he was cold (wanted the comfort of the bars which perhaps had made him feel more snug or he'd been in there with more covers or during warmer weather or something) so added another blanket which solved that.
So, my advice really comes from when he was 9 months and I moved him from his hammock by my bed into his cot in his own room. Honestly it was hell for 3 days. I had no option to use the hammock as he had rolled in it which is a safety hazard so with no other option I had to stick it out, which really I think was the best thing all round anyway. It got the move done and dusted in 3 days.

Yes there was much crying and I was shattered from being up half the night but it was not for ever.

-If he starts crying when we leave him there tonight, obviously we comfort him, but how much? For how long? How long do we wait?
I would not wait at all. if he calls for you by name or cry you go immediately. Stay as long as it takes, until he is asleep if necessary.  Return again if he wakes and calls for you by name or cry.

My suggestions for your questions:
What do we do when we hear him get out of bed? He can't get out of his room. I don't want him to end up sleeping on the floor,
If he gets out of bed and calls go to him as before. If he doesn't then I'd say two or three options:
- let him sleep on the floor. There are millions of people who do and although I wouldn't want mine on the floor either it really isn't going to harm him. Pop a blanket on him or lift him to bed once asleep
- return him to bed and stay until he sleeps
- WI return him to bed WO. The first time you say something like "back into bed, it's sleepy time" the second time just "it's sleepy time", after that just keep doing silent return. I would not do WO if he was upset though. I would stay the course.

What if he just won't go to sleep? Do we give up and put him in his crib in his old room at some point, or keep going for as long as it takes?
He will sleep eventually. It may be very late and he may wake many times the first night or three but he will sleep. You have your time plan of when this needs to be done by so IMO I would just do it. It will be tiring and upsetting for no reason if you let him get really OT and upset and then put him in his crib anyway, he'll get confused.  Set your mind, grit your teeth, respond to all cries. Stay all night if necessary (mattress on the floor for you) but get him to sleep in there full stop.  When it seems impossible remind yourself it will take roughly 3 days for the worst to pass.

What happens if he wakes up and cries or gets out of bed during the night?
As above. Always respond, always comfort, stay all night if necessary and remind yourself it's not for ever. Staying with him will help him to feel confident, it's the confidence you need to get him sleeping and the routine back on track again.

Good luck :)
BTW it's great you've been spending lots of day time A time in there, this will really help :)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 21:06:27 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice! I feel much better now that I have an actual plan. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:42:33 am »
Good luck :)
I know you must be feeling tired with only 6 wks to go before baby arrives, obviously rest whenever you can so that you have the strength to get through the difficult first few days. I suggest leaving all housework but the absolute basics/necessary so that you do not exhaust yourself. Everything else can be caught up with next week after things settle down - or when your mum is there to help out :)

You can do this :)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 19:22:47 pm »
Sorry it took me a couple of days to update! It actually went amazingly well. I was in shock. On Friday night, we just did a nice long wind down, then when he was really relaxed and sleepy, got him ready for bed as usual, took him into his new room, let him turn off his light and close his door (those are his sleep cues), put him down on his big bed, covered him up, and he snuggled in and went to sleep. We didn't hear a peep from him until morning. He has done this for three nights now. Unbelievable.

He has not been willing to nap in his new bed yet. On Saturday we had a busy day and he was overtired by the time we got home for his nap, so we briefly tried putting him in his bed, then moved him to his crib when he didn't like it. Yesterday we tried putting him in the big bed for his nap, and he went to sleep for about 10 minutes, but then he got up and knocked on the door to come out. We put him in his crib for the nap. Today I wasn't feeling good and put him directly in his crib because I didn't want to deal with the up-and-down thing. Maybe once he's slept in the new bed at night for a few more days, he will like napping in his bed?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 19:45:47 pm »
Fantastic update :)
Really pleased for you that BT has gone so well.

Will you need the crib for your new baby in the next month or two?
I'm just wondering how quickly you need to transition the nap to the BBB?

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 19:50:17 pm »
Baby is due in 6 weeks, so we have some time. I'm really not sure where the baby will nap yet - I would like him to nap in his crib, but I'm sure he would be just as happy in the Pack n Play at first. The only issue will be if we end up putting the crib into our bedroom for him to sleep in at night, because then Henry won't be able to nap in the crib in the nursery. So basically, I would really like to get the nap transition completed in the next 3-4 weeks.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 20:03:22 pm »
I would do it sooner rather than later. There's a chance he is going to feel evicted from his crib for the new baby.

Hopefully you will feel well enough in a few days to tackle it.  How about putting him down a little late so he is really tired and then staying in the room with him to sooth him through any wake ups?  It would really help to establish a habit of napping in there, and you can do wi/wo or gradual withdrawal if needed (which it sounds like it won't be, he just needs those first few days of help and consistency I think)

Another thing which could really help would be to get him to help you take the crib down and put it away into storage. Talk to him about  him not needing it any more as he is going to nap in his big bed, mention to him what a lovely sleep he gets in his big bed. Let him accidentally overhear you tell someone else (on the phone for example) what a great sleep he is having in his big bed, that he is so well rested and full of energy to play well etc.
My DS was super excited to help take his cot-bed apart and back together as a toddler bed. We got his toy tool set out for him to help but he also did some real helping too.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 19:52:12 pm »
Well, we're trying at the moment. I put him down in his bed and left to go to the bathroom. He did a brief angry cry when I left him there, but he got quiet right away. And got out of bed. And is now playing with toys.

I don't know how to get him to nap with me in the room. He never falls asleep with either of us in the room - if I sit in the bed with him, he'll just climb all over me and want to play, and if I get out of his bed, he will get out of his bed, too. I could try going into his room and putting him in bed, then coming back every time he gets out of bed, but I feel like that could go on forever and he still wouldn't nap. I wish there were some way that I could physically prevent him from getting out of the bed, just for the first 2-3 naps, but I'm not sure what that would be.

I'm not really planning to take the crib apart, since I'm basically leaving the nursery the way that it is for the new baby.

Now he's quiet again... I really need to set up the video baby monitor in there for a few days so that I can see what he's up to! Is he reading a book? Back in bed? Sleeping on the floor?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:15:31 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:46 am »
Hello Honey,

You are doing so well, and as always Creations advise is super :) So mainly just popping on with some extra encouragement. DS moved to a BBB at the same age due to to be so tall and climbing out, so we had no choice. I had his bed set up in the same room as the cot and we did back and forth for a while, but he only truly got the message once he knew there was no choice any more. He also got up and down and came to the door (we had a baby gate on it) and I did GW. So I wouldn't necessarily get into bed with him, but for naps and BT maybe sit by the bed and be constantly present until he gets the idea, what do you think  ??? With DS, he got up and wandered round, got some toys, and after 1 day of doing 'Rapid return' I thought "I can't do this, it's too stressful!" and it is exhausting, so I gritted my teeth and just waited until he came back himself and got back in. It took a few days, but he did it. I only used a sleepy phrase and nothing else, which is not easy when a LO is chucking out all of his best tricks to get you to talk and make you laugh, but as with any transition/ST it is necessary. I avoided eye contact (not easy when a LO has his face in your hands ;)) and after saying "Sleepy time Sweetheart" a couple of times, said nothing. For me, this method was a lot less tiring and stressful than going back and forth and listening to him cry/wondering what he was up to "Is he sleeping, is he playing!?" and when things improved I sat outside the door, with limited vocal re-assurance. Sleep went 'To hell in a handcart!' as they say lol, but then him being so tired actually helped the transition because he started to lay down faster, so finger's crossed that will help your DS too.

The fact is this has to happen and happen soon, so hang in there Hun  :-*. I would also try talking to him a lot about what a clever big boy he is now, and how he is going to be the 'Big Brother' and how important that job is, but that will always be Mammy's special big boy etc.

I am also a fan of supporting these things with literature, so here's a link for you  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/310899481644?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Good luck Honey.x.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:16:47 am by Sammysmammy »

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 18:41:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice and reassurance!

He did end up napping on the floor for about an hour and a half yesterday. I'm not sure whether that's progress.

When you say that it took a few days, do you mean that after a few days he stopped getting out of bed? Or that the first few days he never got back into bed at all?

I think it will take him much longer to go to bed if I sit there than if I just leave him, but I can try it for a while. I really don't know that he'll fall asleep with someone else in the room!

What does GW mean?

The last two mornings he's woken half an hour early and been grumpy. I didn't get him from his room until his usual wake time. (He was doing some whining and some playing, no crying or calling.) Is there anything else that would encourage or discourage EW with the BBB transition? Maybe he's just OT from the whole thing?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 18:48:13 pm »
Thanks for stopping by Vicki :)

GW = gradual withdrawal

Is there anything else that would encourage or discourage EW with the BBB transition? Maybe he's just OT from the whole thing?
Yes might be OT but also might be that as he comes into his lighter sleep instead of staying there or dozing he has fully woken faster due to realising he is in a slightly less familiar place. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about though.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 19:29:08 pm »
We did it! He's napping in his new bed! I sat next to his bed and patted his back for a few minutes, then just had my hand on him, then sat without touching, then when he seemed like he was falling asleep I left. And he stayed where he was and he's asleep! Hooray!!! Hoping for a full length nap, but anything is a success.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 20:03:19 pm »
Yay!  :D
And FX for tomorrow too :)

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 08:46:51 am »
Oh yeaaah!! great news :)

When you say that it took a few days, do you mean that after a few days he stopped getting out of bed? Or that the first few days he never got back into bed at all?

Sorry, to clarify, it took DS a few days to stay in his bed and not get out and walk around, faff about for ages lol. He always got back in eventually.

Thanks for stopping by Vicki

GW = gradual withdrawal

Pleasure :) this is one of those transitions that is pretty clear in my head, whereas my brain seems to be leaking for others!

Here's the GW link for future reference Hun :)

Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

I suspect the EW is simply due to 'feeling' different in the bed, and hopefully will write itself FX'd  :-X.

Everything crossed for today.

x.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:12:51 am by Sammysmammy »

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 21:31:43 pm »
Napping in crib today. :( He feel asleep for a few minutes in the car, which always makes his nap a struggle. I have to leave for an appointment before 4, so I waited until 2, he still didn't seem sleepy, but I had to get him down. I say in his room and tried ignoring him for 10 minutes, and got him to lie down a couple times, but he was being goofy and not sleepy. We were already down to 1.5 hrs for the nap and he usually does 2-3, so I just put him in the crib and he went right to sleep.

Nothing should disrupt napping this weekend, so hopefully we'll have some more successes.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 08:29:58 am »
Are you using the same covers from his crib on his bed?  Just a thought that there may be some comfort related to those covers in the way a lovey is used.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 19:45:19 pm »
He had a blanket and pillow in his crib that we transferred. I can't use the crib sheet on the twin bed. He's also just taken to sleeping with a teddy bear. So cute!

Good BBB nap Friday. We were out shopping Saturday and he makes in the car. Yesterday he had a little trouble falling asleep but eventually slept in his bed. Today he seemed like he wouldn't, then he was lying on the pillow, then it started raining and he got out of bed. :( I have to get him up in 20 minutes anyway for a last minute appointment, so I guess hell just sleep however much he can in the car.

He's definitely getting OT. He's been going to bed late and waking early, about 30 min each, and naps have been 30-60 minutes shorter. He's grumpy all the time. It's been 10 days in the new bed - should I still expect things to work out on their own?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:27:25 am »
should I still expect things to work out on their own?
Well, it does sound like you are making progress gradually but if it was me I'd want the transition done now.  I'd pack up the cot even if it was being got out again in a few weeks. Or remove all the sheets and mattress and make it unusable so that you and he are both forced to make the move. I know it can cause a few days of terrible naps but the transition time is far reduced.  What you're doing at the moment is causing OT anyway, but over a longer period of time.

Are you doing EBT on the short nap days?

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 19:43:26 pm »
Part of the problem is that he's also been going to bed a little later because my husband has been making dinner most days, because I'm 8 months pregnant and tired. So dinner isn't ready until 7, and we're doing well to get 8:30 bedtime. I guess I should just feed Henry something at 6, even if we're eating something else later, so that he can get to bed early if he needs to.

He slept in this morning, so that's promising. But he's been rolling around on his bed for quite a while resisting the nap, even though he's really sleepy.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 17:48:11 pm »
I'm a big believer in family meals but there's no harm in giving him a meal on his own for a while as you are tired etc and as he is tired, rather than delay BT.
Not long to go now hey before the next LO makes an appearance. How exciting.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 23:22:16 pm »
Yesterday was the first day in his life that he did not nap at all from morning to bedtime. I brought him to his bed for his nap. I tried to get him to lie down, but he wasn't interested. I left him for a bit to play, then came back when he was whining and put him back in bed. Again, he wouldn't stay in bed. I left him to play again. After an hour and a half, I gave up and let him out of his room. I put him to bed as soon as it got dark.

Today similar, except that he did nap for a while on his floor. I took him into his room and put him down on his bed. I tried to pat his back. He laughed at me and got out of bed. I tried returning him several times. Same. I tried sitting on his bed to block the opening where he can climb down, but he tried to climb over the rail instead. I tried pinning him down, which obviously didn't help. I left him in his room. After just a couple of minutes he fell asleep on the floor for about 45 minutes. I saw him on the monitor trying to climb into his bed, but he couldn't or wouldn't get up there. (I've seen him do it many times, but he likes to be helpless, especially when he's tired.) I went to put him in bed, and that made him hysterical, so I let him get up.

I'm feeling really discouraged with naptime. Like maybe this just isn't going to work and I'm going to have to let him keep sleeping in the crib. I will buy another crib if that's what it takes to get naps back. I am not going to have my high sleep needs 18 month old drop his nap as the new baby is born.

The problem is that he has a spirited personality and doesn't want to stay in bed and sleep when there's fun stuff to do. I could take the toys out of his room, but that won't really solve the problem - he'll just find something else to do.

No problem whatsoever at night. Perfect sleeper every night.

And yes, I'm 35.5 weeks along! So I really need to have this under control. What if baby comes in two weeks??

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 07:54:52 am »
I think there are a few options here
- take down the cot, put it away. He will see it is gone, let him take part in it.  I know you don't want the extra work but buying a new crib will involve money plus building it so there is still work involved. I would do it as a very positive thing, make jokes and have lots of cuddles whilst it is done too.
- be utterly consistent in keeping him in the room and telling him it is nap time, but not to physically restrain him in his bed, you don't want to create a fear or negative association there. It takes huge effort for parents to make changes like this but it can and should all be gentle and respectful for LO

Or - buy the second crib as you have said.
If you are going to do this then I would totally stop trying to get him to nap in his BBB and get back on track with sleep and naps asap, it would be so much better if he is well rested and in a good routine before baby arrives rather than you trying this transition inconsistently for the next few weeks and then deciding at the last minute he can keep his crib. Where will his crib be if you get a second? Will it stay in the same room and position where it is at present? any movement of the crib can actually bring on another refusal as it is another transition for him to cope with.

I'm going to see if anyone else has any more ideas for you.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 08:55:31 am »
Honestly, if getting a second crib for the new baby is an option, I would just go with that. 17 months is really young to switch to a BBB, and he does seem to be 'telling you' that he prefers it ;) He could easily stay in his crib for at least another 18 months. IME this is definitely a transition that is easier, later.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:18 am »
I tried the BBB transition with DS around this age and it really didn't work well. He slept ok in it but fell out and just struggled with the lack of enclosure, not necessarily for safety as he only fell out once but also for his feeling of security. We ended up going back to the crib and he stayed in it until 3.5. Much easier transition at that age, so if its an option, I'd get another cot for the new baby, especially as the 18 months sleep regression may well hit shortly...

Best of luck with baby :)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 14:03:09 pm »
Since he's already fully transitioned to STTN in his BBB with no difficulty whatsoever, it seems backward to move him back to the crib at night. On the other hand, there's not room for both the BBB and a second crib. So I guess I would have to. I would just take out his big bed and put the extra crib in his new room where the bed is now.

We can try taking down and removing the crib this weekend and see if it helps. I think I'd like to give it another week, since night time has gone so well, though in another week I'll be 37 weeks along. Baby 1 didn't come until 40.5 weeks, so hopefully the same for this LO! Anyway, my mom is going to stay with us for 4-6 weeks after the baby is born, so if he's still struggling, there will be someone who can still devote time to getting him to sleep without worrying about the baby. Definitely not ideal, though, especially considering how easy naps were in the crib. (Walk into the room, set him down, come back in 2-3 hours!)

Creations, when I'm trying to be consistent with keeping him in the room, how long do I keep at it for? If he hasn't napped after one hour? Two hours? If he's playing, do I just sit there for an hour and watch him play? If I return him to his bed, he thinks it's a hilarious game. Should I try leaving the room, assuming it doesn't upset him? Yesterday he fell asleep on the floor as soon as I left the room.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 16:01:23 pm »
Hi Honey,

I definitely think the crib needs to go, it is confusing him, and long as he thinks it's an option the transition is going to be much harder YK  ???

You can't make him nap, you can only give him the opportunity. Personally if staying with him isn't working and you feel WI/WO is better then do that. Leave him to it, if he goes to sleep on the floor, then just leave him. I would decide on a time to get him up, regardless of when he goes to sleep and wake him. Decide this on the amount of A time you think he needs to make BT go as smoothly as possible. I he doesn't nap, then maybe bring BT forward, if that is possible  ???

Also, did you say you have an extra crib  ??? or is his crib the one for the new baby  ??? I am just wondering if he is too young, and whether it was a move too soon. I have known people go back and wait it out until LO is more accepting of the change, it isn't a problem, but I can't remember if he was climbing out or not  ??? If so maybe look into getting a canopy for safety reasons  ???

Let me know your thoughts Hun. ((HUGS)) I can imagine how tiring this is being so pregnant!

x.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 17:10:09 pm »
I'd let him sleep on the floor, I think eventually he would start using the bed, I think you said he tried to climb in himself but failed.

Many people do keep LOs in a cot for much longer. Things I'd think about are
- ability to climb out
- safety instructions on the crib (ours said to remove bars at 18 months as a safety measure it was a cot-bed so transformed to the BBB)
- your ability to lift him in and out ok without hurting yourself with the weight, it's not like lifting a baby. This does not matter to some and does for others, I have a bad back and there were times I could not lift DS in/out any more which caused problems.
- weigh up the cost of a second cot when many do transition at this age fine (but it's ok to stay in a cot too)
- consider if the cot goes into his new room, will he take a nap in it or not. It may be the room not the bed which is preventing the nap from taking place. The cot is in the nursery, yes? So it is still a transition.

Ultimately it's your choice.

With consistency if leaving the room works out better, do that, return if needed. If he doesn't nap do EBT.

I suppose you could try sleep talk at night to give him confidence to relax and fall happily to sleep in his BBB during the nap.  if you know about sleep talk. I'm afraid I often think it is useful in situations where other methods are not working out quite right but I am not helpful in it's use as I never read the book.  Might be worth looking into.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 19:38:38 pm »
It's been a week since he was in the crib at all, but I guess its presence could be confusing.

I don't have an extra crib. His is for the new baby. We already bought him the twin bed. I don't want to buy a second crib, but I will if there's no other way to make him nap.

He can't climb out of the crib. He's not much of a climber. It's a drop side, so I'm  able to lift him.

I hate the idea of another crib. But, he has to nap! Babbling on the floor of his room right now. I barely kept him awake on the way home and he's really tired, but now he's wound himself up again. I hate this. I don't know whether DH will be willing to get another crib. We could probably find a used one. Grrr...

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 19:57:17 pm »
So last Thursday was his last crib nap then?  Sorry, I didn't realise a whole week had gone by.
I would just keep going if it was me.  Sorry, sometimes things just are hard and take time.  Even if you do choose to go back to the cot and by a second cot, it's a hard decision to make. I can feel how hard this is for you.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 20:12:20 pm »
I can feel this is hard for you too. I think as creations has said at this point i would probably stick with it. E's doing well at night and if he needs those naps he will eventually get it that the bed is the place for sleep. Also, I think at this stage it is really important that he doesn't feel pushed out by the baby so keeping a good gap in time between him moving from the crib and his room to the new room and bed is a good thing.

Here to hold your hand x
~ Naomi ~

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 21:36:27 pm »
Ok, yesterday was good! He went to sleep on his own in his room - I'm not sure if he got into bed at the beginning of his nap or in the middle when I heard a brief fussing, but when I went to get him up (he slept so long I had to wake him!) he was in his bed, snuggled on his pillow. :) So encouraging.

Today he went to sleep in bed no problem, but he woke up after about an hour with a cough and a snotty nose. So now he has a cold. Who knows what this will do for sleep. I just can't get a break these days! Anyway, I do feel like there is hope for good sleep in the big bed now.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 07:21:19 am »
That's great news. It does sound like he is getting used to his bed for naps at long last :)

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 08:04:51 am »
Today he went to sleep in bed no problem, but he woke up after about an hour with a cough and a snotty nose. So now he has a cold.

Honey, just a little point, could it be teething, which present this way and is often mistaken for a cough  ???

Great update, otherwise :) x.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 23:55:23 pm »
I guess it could be, but he woke himself up coughing and his nose has been running like a faucet for two days. He was around a sick baby this week, so he probably caught her cold. But I'll keep an eye out for teeth!

Today he asked to be put down for his nap! He went and got his milk cup, wanted to be picked up, then snuggled his head onto my husband's shoulder like he does at sleep time. He put him in bed and he went right to sleep. Yay! Only slept for an hour again, though, because of the cold.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:31 am »
That is a super update, I'm so pleased :) You never know maybe the cold has made him tired enough to want his new bed.x.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:52 am »
Brilliant :) I hope the cold passes quickly for him.
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 08:42:47 am »
Great news about sleeping in his bed. Not great news about having a cold, hope it passes soon x