Author Topic: a really bad habit happened...now need help  (Read 653 times)

Offline cosmicangel007

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
a really bad habit happened...now need help
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:56:45 am »
about 2 months ago when DD was 11 months she got a terrible cold/flue which left her not being able to sleep well since her nose was congested and chest was heavy.   I slept many nights in her room in a queen bed with her to keep her propped up in order to sleep.  Some nights i  transitioned her back into her crib but i wound up on the floor until she was asleep. Some nights she would wake in the middle and i would be on her floor the remainder of the evening.

She is now 13 months old and the 6 out of 7 nights a week we are settling her down for bed but have to lay on the floor in front of her crib sometimes with a hand in side until she is asleep. We just lay there pretending we are asleep and anywhere from 10-30 minutes later she will be sleeping.   Even if she is completely relaxed after her night bottle and we put her in her crib, we leave the room and she pops right up and screams bloody murder.  I've tried pu/pd and its relentless the cries are crazy.  (we also have a 2.5 year old who is directly across the hall from her).

Naps are also an issue.  I often have to wear her and walk around my home doing dishes and laundry until she is asleep.
Its like she doesn't want to miss out on anything going on in the world!!

We have tried to incorporate some night time routine, but it comes down to needing to be very simple.  nothing major happens in her room.  Ideally getting her in her crib by 6:40 otherwise we have found that after 7 we are on the floor for an hour.

So it looks like this.
5:45 dinner
6:15 some nights bath if not relaxing play or books in the main room
6:25 in her room, pjs, sleep sac, say night to animals in the room, turn off main light, sit for bottle, turn off night light, play her night lullaby song toward the end of the bottle,
by this times its about 6:40
turn on sound machine
make sure she is relaxed
put her down.

I"m not sure how to get off the floor or stop wearing her to get her down for naps.  the other issue is for naps when my DS is awake and roaring through the house getting a spare 10 minutes to be alone with her to get her to sleep is nearly impossible.  So that is how wearing her has become a habit which i feel has resulted in bad habits for getting her down at night. 
She used to be so easy to put down.  I could lay her down awake and she would self sooth to bed and naps.  what happened :( !

AND..... We are going on a trip, DH and I, and leaving the kids with my folks.  I need to figure out something to help her be able to sleep on her own. 
please help!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 14:41:54 pm by newkidontheblock »

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: a really bad habit happened...now need help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 14:41:33 pm »
Honey, I'm sorry you haven't got a reply yet. I am going to move your post to Toddler Sleep as your LO is older than a year. In the mean time, posting a link which might be of some help
Gentle Removal Plan

Offline cosmicangel007

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:03:35 am »
thanks, yes I'm waiting for some assistance here.

i don't think any of the links you shared will be useful as they seem for a young baby.

When we are on the floor she doesn't cry just lays down, sometimes talks/babbles and moves around a little until she settles in.  I usually don't even have any physical contact with her, just being in the room satisfies her.   Its just really hard when i have my 2.5 yr old out in the living room sometimes un attended... theres only so much busy bag activities i can keep him with.  and if i put him to sleep first then i completely miss her window and there's more trouble :(  thanks for listening and thanks to anyone with help!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:00:55 am »
Hiya there. I can post a couple of links below for sleep training methods for toddlers. Given what you have said about the crying it might be worth trying gradual withdrawal, which is the same broadly as the method outlined above by pp. this is the link adapted for toddlers:

Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

This doesn't set out a plan in full but we can work on that together.

Are you able to post for me what her day looks like in terms of sleep times. What time does she wake up, nap and what time is BT on that particular day? Although sleep training is the way to go to get rid of her dependence on your presence to sleep, some of that behaviour could be because the sleep routine isn't quite right for her, and it's worth is looking at it to see if we can find some helpful tweaks :)
~ Naomi ~