Author Topic: LO Not drinking from bottle or cup!  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Bookworm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 25, 2015, 19:28:07 pm »
Hi

My lo is 8 months and ebf.  I used to express up to 3 months but have not done it regularly since then. He took a bottle at 5 weeks once a day for 3 weeks and has been on and off since then. I've given up on bottle for the last 3 weeks. I originally wanted daddy to do bt feed but it was too stressful. Then afternoon, again, stressful. Then mil had some sucess. I'm not worried about it now as I know he waits till he sees me for a feed and mil only has him one day a week. But I can't get him to take any other fluid from cup or bottle!

I would really like him to be able to have some water from a cup/bottle as I will be going back to work soon ....and I work shifts! He is doing BLW  and eating ok but is not taking to the sippy cup. I have tried standard ones (don't care about the mess) and other ones but he's just not interested.

If I'm honest, I would like my husband to maybe put him to bed too once in a while?

How can I get him to take sippy cup?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 20:25:58 pm »
So what kind of sippy cups did you try:)?

I like 360 ones as Lovi does, non-spill one - have you tried?
And Ikea green frog one - spill one.
Maybe straw-cups - have you tried?
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: LO Not drinking from bottle or cup!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:38:32 am »
Have you seen this?
Transitioning to a Sippy Cup
There are some tips there about how much to put in the cup, what position to sit in and how often to try.

A straw may be more successful. I used both a sippy and straw with mine. For the straw dip one end into the milk/water and put your finger over the end to form a vacuum, then put the other end to LOs mouth and release your finger. This way only a small amount is dropped into the mouth but LO gets the idea that this is where milk/water comes from and can begin to have a go at sucking on the straw themselves. I started out with a thin straw (the kind which come with a juice carton - I never gave juice though) and at 12/13 months moved on to those chunkier bendy straws.

ETA: Going to move your thread to the BF board for more BTDT experience.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 18:12:30 pm by creations »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 21:30:46 pm »
What if you pretend it's yours? Will he want to drink out of it?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Bookworm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:22 am »
Hi

Did that a lot at start. As with everything he does he learns things really quickly but then almost seems to get bored of it.

It's been a bit better now I've reduced amount and offered whilst playing etc. was thinking to keep going with this for another week, then try the straw type bottles you mentioned? Is that a good idea or do you think I should start with straw type straight away (fyi he's a nipple sucker!)

X

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 19:30:59 pm »
If he's showing some interest now there is less in the cup I would continue like that. Maybe have a one session per day (very short only needs to be 1 min) on your knee to practice with you holding him and the cup and guiding him as Tracy described.

I see no harm trying a straw too, he may show a preference. I would just get your hands on a fresh little straw to pop in a cup for now though rather than spending out on various designs - I bought various straw cup/bottle designs and wasn't happy with any of them really. The best thing for us was disposable straws (I washed them out and put them in our craft box, they have been great for various crafts!).