Author Topic: 7-8 Week Old EAS a Mess  (Read 1166 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
7-8 Week Old EAS a Mess
« on: April 28, 2015, 23:22:05 pm »
Today has been a rough day with all three kids, so I apologize in advance for the semi-dramatic post. But I'm at wits end.
H's morning naps are all so short, so the EAS is such a mess. Today was the first day I actually wrote things down so far, but it has been a similar pattern for the past week. She would be on a 3hr EASY except the S has been an hour. She's been eating every 2 hours today, and it only awake fror approximately an hour.  So the day is a mess. I don't even know where to start or how to fix it. I even got out the BW book yesterday to refresh on how where to start and such. I started with shh-pat today and sill 1 hour naps. I even tried to exten wih shh pat. She seems tired, but won't stay down. So then I have her up, but she's unhappy quickly, getting into an OT cycle. I'm sure this doesn't make any sense as I've had to stop typing several times to deal with one issue or another. Here is todays EAS so far. (Usually we get short naps but at least get a long afternoon nap so I can breathe a little) Today that didn't happen either.

WU/E: 7:10
A
S: 8:05-9:05 (I tried resettling, but didnt work)
E: 9:15 - small feed, but was so upset and rooting like crazy
A
S: 10:10 - 11:05 (started trying to put her down at 9:45)
E: 11:15
A
S: 12-15-1:05 (Shh pat down, kids fighting interrupted, but she stayed asleep; tried resettling at wake)
E: 1:20
A
S: 2:35-3:20 (started at 2:12, shh pat, got a big burp out)
E: 3:45

She's up now but I just don't know what to do. I'm so tired after all these short naps it's as if my entire day has been trying to put her down or feeding her only to start again with little break. How do I get her naps longer? Even worse is that today is a day where I didn't go or do anything. Usually we have a preschool run two days a week or tomorrow she will go to my mom's (once a week ) while I'm at work. My mom will follow what we do the best she can, but things are such a mess I don't even know what to tell her.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 7-8 Week Old EAS a Mess
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:06:53 am »
Hugs and deep calming breaths :-*. Give yourself a break hun, she's 8 weeks and you have two other LOs to deal with.  It is FINE to not have a perfect routine, in fact most mums of three will tell you number three just has to fit in.  I know that's tiring and it's so hard to switch off the EASY mindset, but I do think if you can accept that things will be messy that will kind of take the pressure off a bit if you see what I mean?

I only have two LOs but what I did with DS was set small goals and try to feel positive if we managed those.  So at this stage all I tried to do was aim for roughly 3h feeds, and a rough EAS pattern.  Tried for a sleep when he seemed tired.  I tried one nap a day half-heartedly in the crib - by that I mean if he hadn't settled in 10-15 mins max I gave up and just put him in the sling.  I also made a deliberate choice not to try to resettle naps - very liberating ;) I remember 8 weeks being particularly rough though - tends to be the peak of crying, it's a WW and often a growth spurt too.  So, if you can, make the choice to do some 'deliberate parenting', get the sleep in when and however you can, try to learn cues but accept it won't work out right every time.  We had a set BT too which helped, he would usually settle well then even if the day was all over the place ::)

As for what to tell your mum - I would just give her a rough idea of when feeds are due and let her handle the sleep.  Often grandparents are great for this - much as they frustrate us sometimes by keeping LOs up way too long they also tend not to stress so much about how long naps happen to be and will just cuddle, rock, walk or whatever is needed to get through the day.  Something we can learn from I think :)

Keep going, the early days are hard but they will pass.  Here to support xx

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 14:10:00 pm »
Thank you for your grace (I stink at giving myself that). You'd think with my 3rd I'd settle down. And I was so much more relaxed then I was S, my middle child. I was, mornings had been a mess for a while but nights were good and afternoon nap was good. But we had a couple of BT struggles, and a rainy day stuck inside with the kids and I was over analyzing everything.

I was just trying to do the EAS pattern, but with her naps short, it was more like EASAEAS. Where sometimes the only A between eat and sleep was a swaddle or diaper change. Otherwise, she's eating every 2 hours or less! Is that what you'd do? I guess I could try getting more sleep out of her in the carrier and see how that works before letting her be up.

I think my rereading the book freaked me out. Like, I'm APing and becoming a prop to go to sleep, I'm doing it all wrong. You'd think by baby #3 I'd have this figured out already.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 16:22:16 pm »
Lol no they are all totally different!  And the books (in fact any baby books) always make it sound much easier than the reality.  In a sense - radical thought here - does the AP matter?  If it works, reduces stress, gives you all a break and chance to get out/have time with the older ones then why not?  You can always sleep train later on, it doesn't all have to be now xxx

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 21:55:39 pm »
You are so very right. Today has been a much better day after a fabulous night (8pm-6am, feed and then down until 7:30). I have a rough day and I just figure that I'm doing it all wrong, digging my own grave!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43:57 am »
I get it :-* pop in whenever you need someone to tell you that you're doing a great job xx