Author Topic: 8 months - NW  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 8 months - NW
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 05:51:39 am »
Hmm I think that does sound like UT NW's unless you feel there's any teething going on?

I'd cut the nap back to 45mins to start with. I would also try and push that first A a little too, perhaps by 15mins? Xx

Offline my_tribe

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 23:17:36 pm »
Here where we're at now... I tryed cutting her 2nd nap to 45mins with 3:30min wake times during the day and things got really messy. It became almost impossible to get her down for bed and the wakings started happening in the early evening continuing all throughout the night. I'm having such a hard time finding her sweet spot in the middle of under tired and over tired. I feel lost on where to go from here...

Right now LO is taking her 2nd nap.. I'm not even sure how long to let her nap for or when to put her to bed tonight. It's been hard reading her ques.

So far this is what today has looked like..
7 WU
10:30 - 12pm nap
3:30 nap

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 05:38:48 am »
What A time have you been going to BT hun with the shorter nap? I'm thinking that might need to be tweaked slightly?

We did 2.5hrs to BT but that's because DD liked a shorter A to bed x

Offline my_tribe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 00:07:11 am »
Unfortunately I'm back again... Nothing has changed. The night wakings are still happening. I just can't seem to figure out what schedule my little one needs. I tried going back to the last thing that worked with the later nights but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I really don't know what to try.
Do you think it's time to start pick up put down? ... I'm dreading it.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:01 am »
Mind posting the last few days for me hun and we can see what's going on?

He does sleep independently usually doesn't he? Any teeth you can see? Remind me...How do you settle the NW's now?

Pu/pd varies now as you use your voice a lot more and don't really pu. I'll post a link for you to have a read through x

How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

Offline my_tribe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 17:05:03 pm »
Our easy has been changing often. This last week I tried to go back to the last thing that worked for a couple of days.. the longer days and late bed time.
It was something like this…
WU 7
Nap 1: 2 hour nap, 3h 15 min after waking, normally around 10:15
Nap 2: 1.5 hour nap, 3h 15 min, normally around 3:15
BT: 4hours later, 8:45pm

It defiantly didn’t work. We had long wake times in the middle of the night normally starting from 2:30 or 3:30 for a couple hours.

I also tried sticking with easy for awhile..
WU 7
Nap 1: 10:30 - 12pm
Nap 2: 3:30-4:30 OR 4pm-5pm
BT: 8:00 OR 8:30
NW: normally on and off from 3:30 on

Yesterday
WU 7am
Nap 1: 10:45-12:45 (I’ve normally been capping the am nap at 1.5 hours but yesterday LO just would wake up until the two hour mark)
Nap 2: 4:45 - 5:15 (Since she had a long nap I capped the 2nd nap to about 30mins so she wouldn’t be under tired in MOTN)
BT: 8:15 (didn’t fall asleep till 8:30)
NW: 4:30 ( 30 mins or so)
WU 6:45am

I don’t see any teeth yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if she isn’t working on them she been chewy of everything. She does sleep independently we always put her down for naps and BT in her crib. We normally take her to her room and cuddle for a few mins, sing a song or two and then when she’s almost asleep we lay her down. If she stirs we will rub her back. She normally falls asleep just fine. At BT I nurse her one last time right before bed. She doesn’t fall asleep while nursing and then I try to lay her down before she’s completely asleep. Since all the night waking have happened she becoming quite dependent on us holding her until she falls completely asleep at BT and through the night. When the NW's happen the only way thats worked to get her back to sleep is to hold her. Sometimes she will go back to sleep quickly and other times she will just lay awake still in our arms. If we lay he down when she is awake she cries right away and it’s very upset, sitting and standing up. Often when we go to put her down when she’s fallen asleep in our arms she will wake up right away again, sit or stand up and begin to cry. Sometimes we’re stuck in this cycle for a couple hours. Honestly we’ve just been so exhausted the last few weeks that some nights we’ve ended up putting her in bed with us, laying on of our chest.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 08:43:59 am »
Sorry for the late reply hun, I did read your message yesterday and have been racking my brains ever since.

I do wonder if you've created a prop there wrt the holding to sleep? Please, I'm really not berating you in any way...we do what we have to to get through these NW's don't we?  ;)

I'm going to try and get some more eyes on this for you hun, as I'm at a loss. Your DT sleep looks good. The day does get a bit long when the longer nap is in place but she did so well with that before. It is obvious that the 2 longer naps are causing longer NW's in the later part of the night so definitely could signal UT.

You've done absolutely everything I would do in this situation. Am I right in thinking the NW's are better and less drawn out with the easy we set before? (The middle version). Xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 10:49:46 am »
Hi there
Just stopping by with a bit of moral support and another perspective.

So, this age is prime for developmental leaps and for those there is often little we can do other than jump on the roller coaster and hang on for dear life!  Understanding more language is a possibility but more likely I'm thinking physical skills such as pulling to standing, maybe cruising?  Unfortunately some LOs are really prone to disturbed sleep with developmental leaps.  Do you notice any new skills or skills she is working on like these?

WRT routine. I haven't read your whole thread in detail but here's an idea. Rather than extending the second A time before the CN, pull it back a bit so she is less tired for that nap, capping is easier and she is less likely to build up OT later in the day. The shorter A time plus shorter nap could help to bring BT earlier.
So, your day might look something like:
WU 7
A 3hr 45
nap 10.45 - 12.45 2hr
A 3hr ish
CN 3.45 - 4.15 30min
A 3hr ish
BT 7.15/7.30
(or BT up to 8pm if she has always done a shorter night. Mine only ever did 10.5 to 11hr night so aiming for 12hrs is not always appropriate, but neither do you want this BT getting any later really. If BT needs to be later I would look at how much A she needs before BT to help her go down relatively easily rather than having a fight on your hands)

So - have a think. It's not a set routine, just an example of a slightly different approach. See how you feel about it based on knowing her moods etc and if you think she'd agree to a nap at that time and so on.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:34 am »
Hi Honey. My idea is also UT. She is working on long days and 2.5h of day sleep. I would try totally different routine with short morning nap and loong second nap later in the day with long A till BT. Even after and 1h she seems to need at least 3.5h of A and she is not a fun of short nap in the afternoon from what I see.
So capping morning nap but letting sleep up to 2h in the afternoon:
10:00 - 30min max
1:30 up to 2h
WU 7am, BT 8pm.

What do you think?
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 13:07:27 pm »
I'm not great at the routine stuff for this age as I went cold turkey 2-1 with my kids...but the prop thing caught my attention. Hopefully tweaking the routine will help some with that, but tbh it sounds like you have always held her until almost asleep and stayed in the room until she is totally out? Is that something you want to continue doing? Sorry if this sounds harsh but not sure I would really consider her an independent sleeper really if that is how she is put down for naps and bed (nothing wrong with it if it works for you, but then in cases like the long nw's it is all you have to fall back on and it becomes an ingrained prop).
Heidi

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 18:11:00 pm »
^^ I'm agreeing that this may well be a prop issue.

Offline my_tribe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 18:33:51 pm »
Hi there mamas,

Thank you so much for a your help and input. I'm so thankful for this community and your support! Don't worry, I'm not offended at all! I've been saying to my husband that I think we really messed up and created a sleep prop. It never effected her negatively before and she could completely fall asleep on her own when she would wake up.  I guess now all thats changed and we're back to square one with sleep training:( Any suggestions of where to start now with her being 9 months now?

As for the schedule I'll give you a quick update from yesterday:
WU: 7
Nap: 10:30-11:50 (she woke up early, she wouldn't settle herself so I got her up)
Nap: 3:30 - 4
Bed: 7 (asleep at 7:15)
Woke at the 45 min mark and then once in the short middle of the night. Need help resettling for both.
WU: 6:50

I could try the the flipped around schedule and have the longer nap in the afternoons but I think I will try the other option first. Just so its not so much change for her. She has always seemed to like a long morning nap. I have almost always had to wake her up from this nap. Sometimes she would sleep 2.5 hours if I let her. I'm am open to trying though!

Again thank you so so much!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 19:03:25 pm »
Both my kids ended up having prop issues at night only. My daughter, we had to make sure we put her in bed awake. Wide awake, not drowsy, not head resting on shoulder, properly awake. The bad news is, sleep training isn't easy at this age they seem particularly aggravated by PUPD so with mine I just sat with them and reassured them while they screamed at me ;)  It's all do-able though, a few rough nights, nd I always felt much better knowing we had a plan.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 19:17:03 pm »
So the NW's were better then hun? We're they a quick resettle this time? Think OT by BT might be at play there with the 30mins CN. Could perhaps bring that back to pd at BT at 2hrs 45mins in that instance? Wdyt?

Perhaps we could cap that first nap to 1.5 hrs to start off with? Then 45mins CN and then the 2hrs 45mins to BT? Mine too couldn't do the longer pm nap   ::).

I'll let the others weigh in about the sleep prop, mine was completely resistant to apop. I would have done it though to get through NW's if she had let me!! What I do know is, whatever you decide to do to resettle rather than bringing her into your bed or holding back to sleep, is to be consistent and don't give in. At this age they do learn that if they scream long enough and you give in that that's what they have to do to get you to do it again. Just remember you can do it, especially if she's been an IS before, it'll just take a little resilience on your part. Good luck hun xx