Author Topic: 15 MO taking an hour to fall asleep at night, then OT and waking early :/  (Read 1350 times)

Offline CEJ2014

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
It's been a long time since I have been to these forums, but I'm looking for some help or reassurance! My daughter is 15 months old, and for the past week or so she has taken about an hour to fall asleep on her own every night. She lays awake in her crib, babbling and rolling around until she is eventually out. Previously, she would be asleep within 10-15 minutes! During this same time period, she has also started waking earlier in the morning (from being OT maybe?) so she's getting significantly less sleep :-\

A few things that might be related...she recently stopped nursing completely. It used to be a part of her nighttime routine. She doesn't ask to nurse or seem upset, but that's one less thing helping her to wind down at the end of the day. Her dad has also been doing bedtime more often, whereas it was always me before. I'm also starting to wonder if nights are just a little too hectic and we're not helping her relax enough...after her dinner I'm usually cleaning up and getting things in order, then during that time dad gets home, which is exciting, then pretty quickly after that it's stories with a cup of milk, bath, cuddle and another story, then into bed. This is just how the timing works out with DH's work schedule. We do spend a good amount of time with bedtime related activities though. Her schedule looks like this:

6AM - awake (this used to be around 6:45-7 before we started having problems at night)
Shortly after waking, we have milk then breakfast
Morning snack around 9:30ish
Lunch around 11:30
Nap at 12:30, usually 1.5-2 hours, some days a little longer
snack in the afternoon
Dinner around 5:30
6:30 offer a cup of milk, stories, bath, and in bed by 7:15. I am typing this at 8:10 and she is still awake and talking loudly.

She used to be asleep by 7:30 and would sleep 11-11.5 hours, but now she's getting less than 10 with how long she lays in bed awake. Anyone else been through this? Could it just be an adjustment period, or phase, or should I be trying to make a change somewhere?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
I'm going through the same thing with my 22 mo! Waking earlier around 620 and awake in crib until after 8! Although I'm only getting an hour nap! The one thing Ive noticed is that it's lighter earlier in morning and it's not dark until 8 so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Do you think that could be causing yours as well? Nothing I've tried has helped so im afraid im not much help. I feel your pain ;)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125

Yes it's true that the lighter nights make a difference for a lot of LO's for sure, and sometimes it seems to be instinctive, not necessarily about the light in the bedroom YK? But I would try and ensure her room is dark enough, if it isn't already.

Has she been going down for her nap okay, so it's only BT and morning that is affected  ???
How do you think she is coping with her morning A time being longer since she started EW  ???

I'm just wondering if in order to try and stop major OT build up, you could bring the nap forward, and give lunch earlier as breakfast is earlier too, I presume.

Also, have you noticed any signs of teething  ??? I'm wondering if her molars are starting to rumble away, which often causes havoc with sleep  ::).

Sorry for all the questions Hun, here to help you through.

((HUGS))

x.

Offline CEJ2014

• Showing Appreciation 0
Ah...I hadn't thought about the light. We have blinds and thick curtains in her room though, so it is kept pretty dark in there.

To answer those questions...

-Naps have been the same as usual, and she honestly seems to be fine when the A time is a little longer. No grumpiness or difficulty falling asleep...but then again she never really shows a lot of tired signs so maybe I should try putting her down a little earlier.

Teething could possibly be an issue. Her fourth molar is coming in right now. Never had any problems with teething in the past though.  ???

I put her down a little earlier tonight to try to compensate for the long time laying in bed, but sadly it has been 45 minutes already and she is still up!

Now, what I'm wondering is...should I go in and give her a pat when it has been this long or just leave her to eventually fall asleep? And if she isn't falling asleep until 8...should I try keeping her up a little longer and just moving bedtime later? I just hate that she is in her bed AWAKE for so long  :'(

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
My lo was awake in crib tonight for 50 mins too! I don't go in as to not start any bad habits and he's not upset or crying just messing around. I've also tried putting him in crib later and it still takes him just as long to fall asleep making bedtime that much later! Hope you get a good night and a later morning wake ;)

Offline Truly Blessed

-Naps have been the same as usual, and she honestly seems to be fine when the A time is a little longer. No grumpiness or difficulty falling asleep...but then again she never really shows a lot of tired signs so maybe I should try putting her down a little earlier.

Keeping nap time set would be a good thing, so if she seems to be handling it right now maybe just monitor the situation.

Teething could possibly be an issue. Her fourth molar is coming in right now. Never had any problems with teething in the past though. 

I would try medicating for sure Hun, no harm in seeing if you can rule it out.

I put her down a little earlier tonight to try to compensate for the long time laying in bed, but sadly it has been 45 minutes already and she is still up!

When you get long settling times out of nowhere I found with DS and other BW's LO's that is often developmental. For whatever reason the LO's brain is on overload, and it is harder for them to relax, however you would think that nap times would be the same wouldn't you!?

Now, what I'm wondering is...should I go in and give her a pat when it has been this long or just leave her to eventually fall asleep? And if she isn't falling asleep until 8...should I try keeping her up a little longer and just moving bedtime later? I just hate that she is in her bed AWAKE for so long 

I know how stressful it can be just waiting it out, but WRT APOP, I wouldn't do anything unless she is actually upset and needs you, because you wouldn't want to unnecessarily create a prop YK  ???

Maybe you could try playing some music to her at BT  ??? And DS has one of these which he absolutely loves, and it is really relaxing, so maybe something like this to encourage her to lie down and give her something to focus on  ???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dream+lites&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=28640095380&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9715807183561206237&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3dmjdwk6s1_e

Let me know your thoughts  :)

x.

Offline CEJ2014

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks :) maybe I will try a little soft music at night. She loves listening to music so I can see it being either relaxing or too stimulating - worth a try!!

Offline Truly Blessed

She loves listening to music so I can see it being either relaxing or too stimulating - worth a try!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-ToddlerCalm-Toddler-Relaxation-Sleep/dp/B00DNYXV0Q

It seems there are some specific ones around Hun, may be worth a look at what's available, as I know even classical CD's can be over zealous at times.x.