Author Topic: Reducing from two naps to one  (Read 710 times)

Offline Nicholawarrin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 29, 2015, 15:50:37 pm »
Hi,

I have a 16 month old who has been refusing her afternoon naps, so after some internet research I decided she needed to drop to one nap. Now I'm not so sure as she is grumpy all the time. Not like her normal happy self. I've been putting her down about 11am as she's is so tired by then, but only sleeps for an hour and half then is grumpy for the rest of the day. The melt downs have only started since I've reduced her naps. Now I'm wondering what to do with her, she won't cap nap late afternoon, not even a ride in the car sends her off.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nichola

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Reducing from two naps to one
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 17:59:46 pm »
Hi and welcome :). I hope you find the BW forums a supportive and helpful place!

Definitely sounds like she is in the 2-1 switch, unfortunately some overtiredness is very common (inevitable!) with nap transitions and it sounds like that's maybe what's happened for your DD.  Could you tell us what time she wakes in the morning, and what time she goes to bed?  Is she having any night wakings?  It may just be a case of riding it out until she gets used to one nap, but you may also need to push her nap later to encourage her to lengthen it so she can make it through the day without being so tired.  Early bedtime can help too, but I'll be able to help more once we have a whole picture of your routine :)

Offline Nicholawarrin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:27:07 am »
Thank you for the reply.

She normally wakes about 6-6.30 but the last few days she's been waking between 5-6. She goes to bed between 7-7.30. Most nights she sleeps through.

Our routine before was wake at 6-6.30, first nap 2 hours after waking up nap would normally be about 1 1/2 hours. 2nd nap 3 hours after waking from first nap, normally lasting between 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Since trying to transition her to 1 nap it's been a nightmare, she's seems always tired and really tempremental.

Yesterday my husband put her down for a morning nap as she was so tired 3 hours after waking at 5.30. She slept for 2 hour and then at about 3.30 I tried putting her down, but she just rolled around for about 45 mins and eventually got upset so I got her up. She lasted all day without really being grumpy.  Last night she slept through till 5 this morning. But again was grump by 8am, so I gave her a nap for 2 hours. I'll see how she goes today and if she'll have a nap this afternoon.

I feel like I'm messing her around going back to morning naps, but she's so grumpy all day otherwise I feel bad for her.

Any more advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Reducing from two naps to one
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 18:11:47 pm »
Did you go directly from two full naps to trying one nap?  I'm guessing she is high sleep needs if she kept two long naps for so long on relatively short awake times for her age.  I appreciate she is very tired early on but allowing a full nap so early on in the day I don't think is likely to help you here as that will perpetuate her early wakings.  I would stick with the 11am nap as much as possible, aiming to move that forwards 15-30 mins every few days to closer to 12/12.30pm.  If there is no way she is going to make it maybe pop out with the stroller around 9/9.30am and let her have 10-15 mins doze but then push her to the main naptime.