Author Topic: Nap capping for 1-0  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:22:38 am »
Hello! Finally, we have had 3 good days and back on a routine. Here is our day now:
Up 6:45/7:00
Nap 1-2:45
BT 7:45/8:00

So it's only been 3 days of this (prior was chaos as I missed his cues and was in the OT/UT loop) but pushing his nap to 1:00 gave us great naps again and he was finally tired enough to take one. I let him sleep and wake on his own to ensure he was finally caught up on all OT plus I wanted to move BT closer to 8:00pm- which now we do so it's great.

But! Tonight and the night before we've had some UT, chatty NWs. Tonight for sure the worst (which is why it's 4:00am and I'm typing this!). Multiple NWs and this one now has been 30+ minutes and still talking.... So I'm assuming I need to cap the nap since our day is right at 13 hours. I just don't know by how much? He goes to bed immediately (used to take 30+ mins) for nap and BT now so I know the timing and A time is right but I guess he does need more A time before bed.

Should I cap by 15 mins or 30? I know it's all trial and error but just don't want to mess up! Advice?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:59:26 am »
You may start from 15min capping so 2:30pm in your case and let a nap of max 1,5h. However you may also push BT hon. Many mothers claim that their children cope better with uncapped nap and shorter night. Until the nights are 10-10,5. It all depends on what he copes with better as some children are not happy with waking from a nap.
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 11:13:08 am »
Thank you. I'll start with 15 mins.

Just odd that he's acting very tired for BT and falls asleep within 5 minutes without a peep. And now he's sleeping still and it's 7:10 am so he's acting like he needs the sleep (11+ hour night), just waking up chatty at night?

I'll try capping by 15 and see what happens.

To update- he's still sleeping so it's almost a 12 hour night. With the 1.5+ nap yesterday. But I guess the 30+ min NW made him tired enough to sleep in?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:28:14 am by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 18:10:51 pm »
Thank you again. The capping worked and now he is waking on his own after 1.5 hours. Yesterday the A time for bed was a little longer than 5.5 hours and he was OT. One OT NW and an EW of 6:15am (after going to bed at 8:30pm).

Today he refused his nap- turns out he had pooped so he was restless and refused to lay back down and was way OT after I changed him. Looks like today will be a NND....

What time should I do BT? He was bordering OT mess from yesterday and now with NN, I don't want to make it worse. BT has been 8:00pm. Should I do 6:45 or so and hope he's asleep by 7:00pm?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 19:14:31 pm »
Do as early as you can Honey.

Re nap times, have you considered going for set times instead of caluclating A times? At that age it maybe be a better solution. Even if he sleeps in the morning nap and by are the same.
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 19:30:11 pm »
I set his nap for 1:00pm but was being cautious about capping and length of time before bed because OT sneaks up quickly around here. Since I'm capping at 2:30pm latest, he usually needs to be asleep by 8:00pm latest. He does better with about 5ish hours before bed.

Not sure how today will go but worried about what time to do bed. Don't want it too early but for sure don't want it too late....

Update- little stinker fell asleep in the car. He's asleep now- I am sitting in the driveway while he finishes his nap! He's going on 30 mins now. I'll let him sleep a bit longer and will just have to guess on BT based on his mood. I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of car naps during this 1-0!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 20:13:32 pm by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 19:07:32 pm »
So we had a few really lousy days. Then he caught up on sleep and ended up a little UT. Yesterday was our first 'normal' day and was back to:
Up 6:45am (10hr night, I think)
Nap 1:00-2:30 (capped)
BT 7:45 asleep in minutes.

Woke today at 7:15am
Tried nap at 1:00pm and he refused it. I let him lay in his bed for 1.5hrs and got him up and will just lightly play. I'll shoot for 7:00pm BT.

Is this just part of the 1-0? With a set nap of 1, do I still lay him down even when he doesn't seem tired (like today)? I never know if I should go by his cues or stick with set times. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Update: I did 7:00pm BT and he went straight to sleep and is still sleeping at 7:10am.....I'd totally drop the nap if I knew he would tack on a do 12 hour nights!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:10:49 am by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 10:31:35 am »
Great news Hon.

I would still be offering a nap and even is he refuses you may just go for quiet time, maybe cuddling on sofa with you when you watch a DVD and he nods off. It's great he can catchup after a NND, but it's worth mentioning that when some kiddos may go from napping to no napping in one day, some will need a transition period and a NND firstly once a week, than twice, every other day etc. Try to remember how it was with 2-1 transition - did he go through it just like that or was is a long process?
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:01:44 am »
He's had a nap the past 2 days but I capped at an hour. He seemed to do better when I pushed it out to 1:30pm now. But I'm waking him at 2:30pm to preserve BT by 8:00pm and when I wake him he is a total mess. He seems very tired and needing more sleep. I may let him sleep 1.5hrs tomorrow and see what happens. He had a little OT behavior going on so I'm hoping it works itself out without too much of an issue.

I guess now I know the occasional NND is possible and it's okay! I think he may have just needed it pushed a little later. If I lay him down too UT, he will get OT and refuse a nap too! So I need to keep that in mind as well.

I'll see how things go and keep this up for now. Honestly the 2-1 was a blur but I remember the 3-2 lasting ages!!!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:12:34 am »
You may also consider pushing BT later and keep the nap of 1.5h. some kiddos are just shattered with capped nap - but if you started capping, I would try for couple more days - maybe he gets used to it.
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:06 am »
He's never seemed to mind when I wake him but has recently. He had 3 short NWs and was up at 5:00am and never quite resettled and up, up at 6:30

Yesterday was
Up 7:00am (11hr night)
1:30-2:30 cap
7:50 (took him 30 mins to fall asleep) seemed OT a bit?

Now up at 6:30am (10 hour night)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:35:53 am by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:46 am »
I would personally try to go for capped nap and reasonable BT for at least 1-2 weeks. If he is OT, maybe go for EBT here or there to let him catch up. If after 1-2 weeks he is just more tired, I would try back to the routine of uncapped or capped at different stage nap and later BT.

If he was ok before with capping the nap, hopefully he will get the message this time:).

I  am also thinking - what kind child is he? Some children tolerate well EBT, some will sleep in in the mornings and some will always like to long naps. Can you somehow based on your experience assess what type is he:)?
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
Thank you. I capped at 1.5 hours yesterday and he was screaming when I woke him. Took an hour to calm him and then everything went well and he went to bed great for BT. Still only a 10ish hour night last night. But no NWs and he woke up happy.

I guess I'll play with nap between 1:00/1:30pm and always cap by 2:30pm so he will be asleep by 8:00ish.

He is spirited :) Not fully- may be mixed a bit. He has never, ever been upset when I've woken him from naps so this is all new- he's acting like how he does when he's way OT and does the 30 min OT nap in the car and woken up. Very odd for him but I know if I don't cap then nights are bad.

I think an hour nap and 11hr night (13 hour day) is best for him now but I'm not quite sure! I'll throw it the extra 30 mins of nap sleep occasionally if I feel he needs it??

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:47 pm »
Extra ((HUGS)) Hun, with this transition the goal posts are constantly changing, which made it the hardest for us and many I have helped through it, it sucks!  >:(

I agree I would cap also, but be aware things won't necessarily be the same each day, even if you do the same each day  :-X  ::). Finger's crossed the shorter nap works, and sticks for a while.x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 17:19:59 pm »
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm seeing that every single day is random now. It would be fine if I knew he handled OT better. But like today, I just laid him down at 1:00pm (chose 1:00pm instead of 1:30 today hoping he was a little undertired and would take a shorter nap himself) but looks like he is way, way UT and playing and laughing in bed. I can tell, there will be a full nap refusal today so EBT for sure.

I'll keep doing what we've been just to give us some kind of game plan and give or take 30mins and just let him do his thing!

I just wanted to make sure you all didn't see something I was missing. I tend to miss huge red flags  ::) ...quite often!

Thanks again! Xx