Author Topic: Nap capping for 1-0  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 17:27:15 pm »
I just wanted to make sure you all didn't see something I was missing. I tend to miss huge red flags  ...quite often!

No, I'm afraid not Hun :( I wish! I think it's important to try and chill during this transition, because it can be so looooong. The stressing really gets to you, and for us, it really was to a great extent out of my control. Sam didn't refuse naps, he just stayed up later and later and later at night, it was not good.

It might be worth thinking about the odd no nap day, if things don't get any better.

((HUGS)) x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 17:50:16 pm »
You're absolutely right. You're so kind and thank you again.

One thing that has been a major issue is that we are potty training. He hates pooping in the potty so he holds it unless he has pull ups on (which he only wears at nap). So now he poops as soon as I put him down and sometimes it keeps him from falling asleep (assuming it's uncomfortable!) and I'll go change him quickly and lie him back down and by then he's full blown OT and worked up and won't nap at all.

This is what has just happened today and most other days he refuses his nap so there's definitely a correlation. If he's super tied he will sleep with a poppy diaper but most days he refuses his nap because too much time has passed.

Any suggestion with this issue? I give him so many chances to go and unless it's urgent, he will hold it until nap...

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:42 am »
Hi Hun,

How old is he? Do you think he is absolutely ready to get rid of nappies? I know the age when LO's are ready for potty training varies hugely. Another thought may be whether he would prefer to poop on the toilet? I have a friend who's LO hated the potty and went straight to using the loo from the start, maybe something to think about. If not, how about changing him into a pull up an hour so before his nap, in the hope you can change him before you put him down? x.

((HUGS))

x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 14:05:47 pm »
Bless you! Yes, Creations gave me similar advice on the PT board. I have told him to let me know if he needs to go and let him have the option of going in the pull-up if he needs to.

He has pooed in the big toilet about 5-10 times and never has gone in the little potty. He only uses the little potty when he doesn't feel like going all the way to the bathroom (we have 2 pottys that move around our house  ;))

He is almost 28mo. He is definitely ready but he is stubborn and prefers to hold pee and poo vs going in the potty. I'm going to offer the pull-up around lunch time (which will give him an hour before nap) and finger crossed he goes. This 1-0 was hard enough without throwing this huge PT issue in the mix  :-\

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 17:23:34 pm »
This 1-0 was hard enough without throwing this huge PT issue in the mix 

Oh for sure, timing is wonderful, as usual with these LO's!  ::)

He has pooed in the big toilet about 5-10 times and never has gone in the little potty. He only uses the little potty when he doesn't feel like going all the way to the bathroom (we have 2 pottys that move around our house  )

Here's another thought, I don't know much about his personality, but if he is anything like DH who started out angel then turned very spirited! This may work:

Pretend you need the toilet yourself and tell him you would love his company, then put his potty in the bathroom with you while you sit. Make it seem like you are going (sorry, trying to put this politely  ;D lol) and maybe just maybe he will go with you. I would just sit there for a while, and have a happy chat. Even at age 5 Sam hates, I mean fights with everything he has not to go to the bathroom alone  ::) He is extrovert so he gets all of his energy from others particularly me, so for him having company is a HUGE deal, and anything we do  'together' with me makes him happy.

How old is he Hun  ??? What's his personality  ??? We're mashing all of these subjects up now aren't we!? lol  ;D

x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 00:56:56 am »
Haha! Yes we are but all this things go together :) He is almost 28 months and spirited (on the lower end). I always stay with him while he pees and poos. He prefers the big toilet and he's still too small to get on and off by himself so I stay with him and read or we chat but lately he wants NOTHING to do with it at all.

But! Since he skipped nap yesterday- he slept great today! I let him sleep from 1-2:45pm and woke him. He was in a better mood finally and then I put him down for bed at 8:00pm and he was asleep before I made it down the stairs!! Woohoo.

Bad news is that he didn't poo at all today. I know he had to go after dinner but would go in the small potty, big potty or a diaper so there's nothing I could do for him. Hoping he can hold in in until tomorrow morning...

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 12:15:20 pm »
That's good news Hun, maybe if he has the odd no nap day he will be one of the LO's who can self regulate! You never know ;). Finger's crossed his bowel held on until morning  ::)  ???

x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 16:27:23 pm »
I am hoping the same about self regulating. It does seem when he has skipped, he catches up the following day and actually seems in a better mood that all these odd naps.

He held his poo until morning but it was way early! 6:00am after an 8:00pm BT and he was not happy about being awake. But now he seems tired for nap so hopefully it'll all work itself out today!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 16:44:58 pm »
Hope so Hun.x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 01:23:09 am »
Vicki- I remember before you saying something to me about his settling times. He's taking quite awhile to go to bed (30+ mins). Just playing and talking, not crying. Is this UT or could it be OT? I can't remember what you told me before...

I've been caping naps by 2:45pm and putting down 5 hours later and he's doing 10 hr nights so maybe more capping? Although, he is usually extremely upset when I wake him. It's 50/50 shot if he wakes happy or screaming...

Also to note, he's pooing EVERY day at nap. Within 10 mins of putting him down. He holds it until I lay him in bed and then will go. If I notice he's taking 30+ mins to sleep for nap, I go in and change him and sometimes he goes to sleep and sometimes he's too worked up and refuses it. So this is wrecking our nap times. He's also waking and pooing as soon as he wakes in the a.m too....

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 05:51:01 am »
What time do you give lunch before a nap? Can you bring it a tad earlier? Have you started to him him his pull-ups slightly before a nap to let him poo:)?

30+ at BT can be both but I would say that he is rather UT. Or he just needs it to wind down. Many mums say that their kiddos will need some time to go to sleep, no matter what time they put them for a nap.
~Marta

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:56 am »
Thank you! Yes, I have put him I pull ups an hour before nap. Offered the potty and to relax with books on it. Made lunch earlier.....he just holds it until I lay him down. It's rough...

He usually goes to sleep quickly for nap and BT when I have his schedule right and this long settling time for BT is usually the precursor for night wakings :-\

I feel he's UT as well but sometimes I'm wrong with that and it's hard to do much adjusting with his routine when his naps are all over bc of the poo!

I'll stick with it for now since things are okay and no NW or super EW....yet ;)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 00:29:28 am »
I've played a little with capping naps and also letting him sleep until he wakes on his own and he has been taking 30/45 mins to fall asleep. Our days are pushing 14 hours recently because of his settling time. Should I be putting him down 30/45 mins earlier to give him that settling time so he's asleep closer to a 13 hour day? Tonight was almost an hour of him winding down in bed (although I let him sleep 2 hours today) so he genuinely may have been ut tonight

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:10 pm »
Hello Honey,

Can you remind me what time his nap is at the moment, and what length you are allowing him. Also WU and BT.

The long settling time is typical of the 1-0, it a PITA! I'd say it was probably time to cut the nap back again and stick with it for a few days, sorry  :-X ::).

x.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 17:26:12 pm »
Our days have been about like this:

Up at 6:30/6:45am
Nap 1:30-2:30/45 capped
BT 7:45 (8:15/8:30)

It's odd because when I cap most days he almost seems OT wild before bed and takes a long time to settle. Right when he's tired he gets really fussy and he hasn't been like that so I know it's OT wild stalling or UT stalling at BT.

Naps have been hit or miss bc as I posted before- he has been pooing the minute I lay him for nap. The past 3 days we have avoided that issue so I'm hoping that's resolving.

Today he was clearly tired around 12:30 so I laid him down at 1:15pm and he was out within seconds. Maybe I can try keeping nap at 1:00 and not 1:30 and cap at 2:30 still?

Let me know what you think! You've been right at everything else so far! Our routine is fine with me- I know during the 1-0 things will be random. I just know it's odd for him to take so long to fall asleep and once that becomes the normal then NW and EW begin  ::)