Author Topic: 14 mo trouble self soothing after NW or EW  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: 14 mo trouble self soothing after NW or EW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 19:29:10 pm »
Hi Hun,

I've been following and haven't posted because I'm not sure I have anything helpful to add but ((HUGS)). Is it possible that you could ST him in your room and then transfer him back with your other LO? DS was also on 1 nap at this age, and his routine was something like:

WU 6.30
Nap 12.30 to 2.30
BT 7.30.

I agree I would cap the nap at 2 hours.

Also, with your saying your oldest has sensory issues, is it possible your youngest does too? How was he doing whilst in your room, was he better? I may be clutching at straws, but I'm just trying to think outside the box :/.

Is there any big developmental leaps going on right now, with speech/movement etc? The NW that weren't screaming ones, were either UT or development related for us.

Also would your youngest tolerate white noise to try and stop them waking each other?

Vicki.x.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 20:02:02 pm »
The NW that weren't screaming ones, were either UT or development related for us.

This is what I am thinking too.....

Offline KatrinaW

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 02:33:54 am »
I don't think he has sensory issues but I could be wrong. When he was in my bedroom he had occasional night wakings for hours and woke crying every morning. He went to bed fine though. He still goes down for his nap fine. He's already walking and says about 15 words already. He hates being in his crib so pretty much always screams if he has to be in there awake. They have a white noise machine in their room - always have. My oldest has been doing exceptionally well the last few nights and has been able to sleep through a lot of his talking/crying.

Today he was awake at 5:50am, nap at 11:30-1:30pm and still screamed at bedtime... even before I got to the bedroom door. I patted his back for a few minutes until he was quiet and then left the room. Its 8:30pm so he's been awake for 7hrs and he's laying in his crib chatting away.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:29:42 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 07:36:03 am »
He hates being in his crib so pretty much always screams if he has to be in there awake.

So is there a chance that this is a crib issue? Has it somehow become a negative space for him Hun? I wonder (if you're not already?)  if you could try spending some happy time in his new room when he is awake, including him playing in the crib when it isn't sleep time. Maybe try some different bedding, switching up comforters etc.

What happened for the rest of the night  ???

((HUGS))

Vicki.x.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 14:36:52 pm »
I have a feeling this is developmental - what is your heart telling you? I am not sure there is much wrong with your routine TBH.

I would say take heart in the fact that you can leave him awake in his cot, many LOs can't or wont do that!

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 14:39:25 pm »
He spends lots of time playing in that room but not in his crib specifically. If it would a crib issue wouldn't it be present for naps as well? I can try some play time in the crib (he does play a bit with my oldest in his crib). Should I be in the room too? He sleeps with a sleep sac, no blankets. It is a little warmer in that room as its south facing... thinking I may try a lighter sleep sac.

Last night he fell asleep at 8:45pm and woke this morning at 6am. Surely a 2hr nap and a 9hr15min night isn't enough sleep.

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 14:40:34 pm »
I have a feeling this is developmental - what is your heart telling you? I am not sure there is much wrong with your routine TBH.

I would say take heart in the fact that you can leave him awake in his cot, many LOs can't or wont do that!
Im not sure, I keep second guessing myself. It just doesn't make sense to me that he would be doing this just at bedtime when naps are fine.

Normally he won't lay in the crib quietly so this was a bonus last night!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 14:44:47 pm »
Last night he fell asleep at 8:45pm and woke this morning at 6am. Surely a 2hr nap and a 9hr15min night isn't enough sleep.

What are you thinking?? Longer nap?

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 16:19:45 pm »
It just doesn't make sense to me that he would be doing this just at bedtime when naps are fine.

I know what you mean, but having said that BT is always worse for most things, even teething pain which never makes any sense to me either, it just seems to have been the way for us.

I think maybe the way to go is to rule out OT first of all and see where that gets you. So maybe a longer nap of capping at 2.5 for a few days  ??? Is it possible to put him down earlier and keep the same WU time do you think  ??? I know it's the opposite to the way we were going  :-\ but if he would nap earlier, and then have the same afternoon A time, it may make a difference. Maybe:

WU 6.30

Nap 12.00 until 2.30

In cot by 7.30

I don't think we asked yet, has he been high/low or average sleep needs in the past would you say  ???

x.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 16:25:25 pm by Sammysmammy »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 16:41:07 pm »
Is it possible to put him down earlier and keep the same WU time do you think

Yes this is what I was kind of getting at earlier. I always kept the same nap WU time so always up by 2.30pm so Olly was still tired at BT. Hopefully if he is OK at naps you could sneak a bit of extra sleep in at the beginning of the nap?

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 19:39:20 pm »
Im thinking his night should be longer, at least 10hrs?

I think maybe the way to go is to rule out OT first of all and see where that gets you
We will try this.

I don't think we asked yet, has he been high/low or average sleep needs in the past would you say 
I'm going to go with low sleep needs??. That being said, as a baby he had sleep apnea and would only sleep 13-14hrs in a 24hr period. He has never slept longer than 14hrs (in a 24hr period).

Yes this is what I was kind of getting at earlier. I always kept the same nap WU time so always up by 2.30pm so Olly was still tired at BT. Hopefully if he is OK at naps you could sneak a bit of extra sleep in at the beginning of the nap?
Sounds like a plan. I think he may like the shorter morning A

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 20:16:08 pm »
Im thinking his night should be longer, at least 10hrs?

I do too Hun, but I think if it is an OT issue, then it will be the longer nap initially that will enable the nights to lengthen, fingers crossed.

I don't think we asked yet, has he been high/low or average sleep needs in the past would you say 
I'm going to go with low sleep needs??. That being said, as a baby he had sleep apnea and would only sleep 13-14hrs in a 24hr period. He has never slept longer than 14hrs (in a 24hr period).

Tough call then really, this will likely be the time that you can get a clearer picture, here's hoping.

Sounds like a plan. I think he may like the shorter morning A

Good luck!

x.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 20:23:38 pm »
OK yes - a longer night would be the ideal but I am wondering how if he is not falling asleep until late. I think that lengthening the nap will combat any OT that there may be causing the EW. :)

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 02:00:05 am »
We've made progress! Yesterday he had his 2.5hr nap and went to bed at 7:30pm :) no crying. He woke this morning at 6:45am. He had a nap from 12-2:30pm today but is struggling to fall asleep (mind you he is quietly laying in the crib) at 8pm. Also, my oldest is awake in the room - tips on keeping them both quite at bedtime??

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Oh Hun, I'm so pleased to hear that. So right now it does seem that we may be looking at OT rather than UT. I think as long as he is lying quietly that is an improvement, for now YK  I have no experience with LO's in the same room. What age is your oldest?

I have just ordered a bed tent for DS as he has spent the last 3 nights sleeping in his tent in his room and loves it lol :) I wonder if it is something that may have the situation, giving your oldest a private den in his room. As you said he has sensory issues, it may also be something which is very comforting, just a thought :) Sorry, I don't know if your oldest LO is a boy or a girl  :-[ but here is what I have ordered for DS, also available in girls designs.

Hope today is a good one.x.