Author Topic: 14 mo trouble self soothing after NW or EW  (Read 7923 times)

Offline KatrinaW

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 14 mo trouble self soothing after NW or EW
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 01:22:35 am »
It was short lived. Last night he woke at 12:30am screaming, but resettled. He then woke up at 5:25am screaming (which woke ds1 and of course he didn't go back to bed)... ds2 did finally fall back to sleep at 6am with some help. Nap was ok. He's screaming at bedtime again - and by screaming I mean at the top of his lungs before I even walk into the room with him. I took him back out to calm him down but he is just in an awful mood.

DS1 is very particular about having things in his room so Im not sure that would be an option :(

***update: it's 10:15pm and he's still screaming unless he's in the light. He screams at the top of his lungs in the dark, if I hold him, set him down, put him in his crib etc...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:18:27 am by KatrinaW »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 12:19:14 pm »
As those were screaming WU's are you thinking OT rather than UT  ??? Have you checked the teeth situation lately Hun  ??? Wondering if giving meds may be worth a try  :-\

x.

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 13:07:34 pm »
I would think that if they were UT he wouldn't have woke crying, no? He also did wake twice during his nap yesterday. I did give him meds last night at 8pm just in case. He finally fell asleep at 10:30pm and woke shortly after crying again.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 13:20:57 pm »
I would think that if they were UT he wouldn't have woke crying, no?

Yes Hun, just checking you have come to the same conclusion instead of feeding you them ;) I'll be back later, thinking on it.

x.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 13:26:23 pm »
Apologies, I am sure I have asked this before - is he an independent sleeper?

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 13:38:31 pm »
Apologies, I am sure I have asked this before - is he an independent sleeper?
Yes, he is. Has been putting himself to sleep since he was a few months old.

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 13:40:52 pm »
I would think that if they were UT he wouldn't have woke crying, no?

Yes Hun, just checking you have come to the same conclusion instead of feeding you them ;) I'll be back later, thinking on it.

x.
Thanks! I wonder if maybe the night before when he didn't settle until 8 may have messed with our good streak? Maybe he was getting a touch OT, causing the NW/EW? He was rubbing his eyes last night at 6:00pm when I was putting DS1 to bed and I can't help but think I should have tried BT then?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 00:55:33 am »
Hi,

Just wondering what you think about this being developmental? DS went through a stage where he became more aware of his dreams and they scared him witless - he did not want to go to sleep because often the same scary dream would start up again, hence the long waking when in reality, he is tired. Can be worth checking temperature - even slightly overheated kiddies have these more often. OT also makes it worse.

It really helped for us to talk through his day before bed. Basically I just talked through all the things he'd done in the day, mundane or exciting and it seemed to allow him to just settle any thoughts or feelings he might have had (without necessarily expressing them, particularly initially) and he tended to sleep better.

Do you darken the room for naps? Is it an issue with darkness? Often not an issue at this age per se but it can be a signal to him that scary dreams could be coming, if the dreams are happening more at night.

Definitely worth trying that earlier BT if he's looking tired, IMO.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 20:43:08 pm »
He was rubbing his eyes last night at 6:00pm when I was putting DS1 to bed and I can't help but think I should have tried BT then?

Could have been the case if he woke in his nap too  :-[  It is hard at this age as when they change their sleep needs or have a 'phase' you can easily get into an OT/UT loop.

How did things go today?

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 02:24:24 am »
ust wondering what you think about this being developmental? DS went through a stage where he became more aware of his dreams and they scared him witless - he did not want to go to sleep because often the same scary dream would start up again, hence the long waking when in reality, he is tired. Can be worth checking temperature - even slightly overheated kiddies have these more often. OT also makes it worse.
How would you know if he was dreaming at this age? He doesn't have a temperature - checked.

Do you darken the room for naps? Is it an issue with darkness? Often not an issue at this age per se but it can be a signal to him that scary dreams could be coming, if the dreams are happening more at night.

Definitely worth trying that earlier BT if he's looking tired, IMO.
Yes, his room is dark for his nap we have two sets of blackout blinds on that window.

Last night he went to sleep at 9:30pm woke this morning at 7:30am, napped from 12:05-1:35pm (was woken by a loud noise and didn't resettle) we tried for an early bedtime...he screamed before I even made it to the door, same for regular bedtime and now its 8:20pm and he is in his crib quietly but did kind of protest for the first few minutes (but at least he was screeching!).

I'm going to look for the link but does anyone know off hand what the average A time is at this age? He's 14.5 Months.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 08:03:54 am »
A times really vary a lot at this age but I would say 4.5-5.5hrs

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 17:56:51 pm »
We have had (many) periods where Olly would LOATHE bed times. We still get them now :P. Last 2 nights (when DH has been in charge) he has ended up in our bed just to get him to sleep. I vividly remember at his 2 year regression him fighting when he was put in his cot. So much so we made a bed on the floor for him next to his cot  ::). Every time he has been like this it has been a phase and it has eventually ended.

Have you any APOPs to get him asleep earlier at BT? We wouldn't normally advocate them but in cases like this it help short term.

One thing I would say is that be thankful that he at least lies there in his cot on his own. Small mercies  :-*

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 02:21:35 am »
Have you any APOPs to get him asleep earlier at BT? We wouldn't normally advocate them but in cases like this it help short term.
He doesn't close his eyes if I hold him/rock him. So I don't know how else I would get him to go to sleep. He won't lay quietly if I sit next to the crib anymore - he keeps putting his hands out.

One thing I would say is that be thankful that he at least lies there in his cot on his own. Small mercies 
True, however, having to put him to sleep and take him out of his crib multiple times a night because he is screaming is getting really frustrating.... 9/9:30pm bedtimes don't work for us - especially when he wakes at 6am still.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 07:25:50 am »
You know it's incredible how I forget details. Yesterday I spent ages trying to find my thread for DS regression when he would literally scream the house down going in his cot, like he had a very real fear of the cot itself, I remember it was truly awful and that I posted about it, but I can't remember exactly what age he was. I'll keep trying to find it.

((HUGS))

x.

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 12:56:20 pm »
The last three nights bedtime has gone smoothly. He's only napped 2.5/1.5/1.5hrs and 10.5/10.5/11 hrs at night. Fingers crossed that whatever it was is over and gone! Now, to start a thread on my almost 4 year old for his 4:45/5am waking!