Author Topic: Is this 2-1 transition or a new cheeky phase?? 13mo  (Read 867 times)

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is this 2-1 transition or a new cheeky phase?? 13mo
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:22 am »
Help! My dd has always been a great sleeper, usually on the 'more than average' end of needing sleep. She's always been later to transition down from naps and sleeps a good 12hrs at night.
However, the last week has been exhausting. She is severely resisting napping in the morning, despite showing all the signs of being tired, sometimes taking her over an hour to drop off - or we give up and then the rest of the day is messed up. If she doesn't sleep or takes a v short nap, the afternoon nap is then very long; I've had to wake her after 3hrs before.
She's eating well but has had a cold the last couple of weeks. Is this just a new found independence (it is coinciding with being able to sit up in her cot and not get down and more mobility during the day though she still only commando crawls and doesn't walk or cruise - stand only).
I'm not sure whether to start the 2-1 transition or ride out the wave and hope it's something else.
Any ideas??

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Is this 2-1 transition or a new cheeky phase?? 13mo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 14:56:05 pm »
Hi there:) I'm going to move your post over to Toddler sleep as your DD is over a year old. Would you mind posting your EASY routine for us to take a look at? It is very likely that these developmental milestones are affecting her sleep - maybe an increase in A time is in order? The scenario you have mentioned does sound like the 2-1 transition. It is possible she is moving toward a short am- long pm nap routine. Have you read this?
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Hope that helps for now:) You'll probably get much better advice over on Toddler sleep

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 15:25:18 pm »
Thanks! Sorry...keep forgetting she's not a baby anymore!

She goes to nursery x4 mornings a week so EASY on those days is as follows:

6:30-7 wake and bottle (I've just given up the last BF here)
7-7:30 breakfast
Awake time
9-9:30 nap (this is the one that's not going down well at home)
Has been 1-1.5hrs but is now either nothing or 45min
10:30 snack and play
11:30 lunch
12:30 lunch (at home with a later nap time too)
1-1:30 afternoon nap for about 2hrs (sometimes more of a short nap in the am)
3:30 awake time and snack
5:00 dinner
6:00 bath and bottle
6:30-7 bedtime (usually sleeps right through but again it's been challenging lately)

I fee like I am becoming one of those "paranoid about child napping" mums and it's really emotionally exhausting. I really thought she would go longer than this before going to one nap but maybe it's time? She's definitely not interested in sleeping at 9-9:30!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 16:50:18 pm »
If she isn't interested in napping in the am then I would try to push her A time and go for one nap. When my middle DD went to one nap she had super long 3 hr naps all the time...so if she can do about 4.5 hours of A and then a 3 hr nap and another 4.5 hrs A then it might work to do one nap. On the days she refuses the morning nap when does she end up napping?
Heidi

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 18:10:18 pm »
Today I gave up after an hour not napping from 9:30-10:30 and got her up. She had a small snack and happily played for another hour and then  had lunch and went down at 12:30 and slept for 2.5 hrs. She also went to bed at 7pm like a dream. This may be the answer...
It feels a bit wrong putting her down so soon after lunch but otherwise I'm guessing she won't sleep for long and wake up starving!
It does also fit well with the nursery schedule as they can keep her up and put her down at 12 as well. We shall see how it goes... Sob sob, goodbye to my two nap child!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 18:39:02 pm »
We always do nap right after lunch, has never been an issue yet! We have been on one nap for over a year, I hardly remember what two was like! Hopefully she carries on with the nice long nap for you.
Heidi