Author Topic: Wakening up so much in the night :(  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Henty

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:29:56 am »
HELP :(

My 8month old is wakening up nearly every hour in the night, dont know how to fix it!!

Wu: 7
Nap1- 10.45-12.45
Nap2: 4.30-5
BT: 7.30

Shes been fighting BT and it can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour!
She used to be put into cot and she would go asleep herself, now we have to pat her to sleep while she lies down! Shes just learnt to crawl so all she wants to do is crawl when we lie her down :(
After she finally goes to sleep she wakes up from about 1am and thats her on and off every hour so shes into bed with us! :(
First nap she always goes down within 5 mins, 2nd nap takes effort to get her over!

Help! Is she OT, Ut? Or is it just because shes started crawling?
Shes not teething atm, 2 teeth cut a few weeks ago and no sign of anymore!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Wakening up so much in the night :(
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 15:06:04 pm »
Hi there:) Your routine really looks good to me. In fact, we were doing something similar at 8 months. Developmental milestones can affect sleep a lot, especially when they have just picked up a new skill and want to practice, practice, practice. We had the same experience when DD learnt to sit, crawl and now stand. If she is even a wee bit UT, she will keep standing over and over and we have to just keep laying her down.

When she wakes at 1am, how do you settle her? Does she have any night feeds? Even if she was horribly OT, hun, I doubt that she would be waking up hourly. That sounds more like discomfort actually. Sure no more teeth on their way?

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 15:57:51 pm »
Aw thanks!

Im definetly thinking its the crawling but how do you go about with the independent sleeping? We have been practically nursing her to sleep which i dont want to get a habit of doing!

She had a 2.5 hour nap this morning so we have skipped the catnap and going for a EBT at 6 not sure how thats going to go down but its worth a try. Have u had any 1 nap days yet??

No no night feeds, we just lie her down as shes usually sitting up and give her her dummy back and she usually goes back over but its just every hour now! Its like shes UT when she wakes as shes happy and wants to play and crawl!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 16:03:17 pm »
She had a 2.5 hour nap this morning so we have skipped the catnap and going for a EBT at 6
What time did the nap end though, hun? It's not only about the length of nap but also being able to put them down before they are over tired. How long can he manage before bed? We've had quite a few 1 nap days - today was one, in fact:) Just be careful and go slow. I only do 1 nap days if the nap ends 1.30 or later. Otherwise, I stick to the CN and push BT later.

WRT the crawling, give her plenty of practice through the day. Other than that you just have to keep laying them down - repeat, repeat, repeat. Could the wakings be dummy related? Maybe work on her re-plugging it herself?

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 16:17:25 pm »
Nap ended at 1.30 which has been the latest in a long while and shes happy as larry playing here!
She can definetly handle a longer A time later in the day so im going for 4.5hours for the first time. Do u think im pushing her too much? What time would u do BT?

She can replug herself, we always put several in the cot but it seems to be she sits up and doesnt know how to lie back down!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:35:06 am »
Your plan sounds perfect. 6pm should be fine. How did it go? Hope you had a good night. If it is that she doesn't know how to lie back down, you'll just have to give her plenty of practice

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:11:32 am »
Yes we had a 6pm bed time. She absolutely konked out and slept for 12 hours ... Shes never ever slept for 12 hours, longest has been 11 hours!!! I lifted her and brought her into my bed for a cuddle and she slept until 7, its a miracle haha!

Hope its not a fluke!

Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:29:59 am »
I'm sure it isn't:) we were getting lovely 13 & 14 hour nights. Watch out for too many too short days in a row though. I put her to bed at 5.30 for three days and we started having EWs:(

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:38:29 am »
Oh no really? Do alternate days of 1 nap and 2 naps?

Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 13:39:52 pm »
As in, aim for a 12-12.5 hour night, I guess. Too many long nights led to an issue for us at least -- that is, too much sleep overall

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 15:15:17 pm »
Ahhhh i see! Thank you for explaining :)
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:54 am »
Appears to have been a fluke! We did the exact same routine as the day before and we had night wakenings every hour from 1am and she was happy and wanting to crawl! :(
Today will be a 2 nap day as was had a WU at 6am too. Boooo :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:32:29 am by Hent89 »
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:59 am »
What was the day's routine exactly? There must be some reason for this.  Ugh for 2 naps. After doing even 1 or 2 one nap days, I hated going back to 2 naps:p So dreary to APOP that CN.

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:37 am »
We have been slowly creeping up her A time so yesterday was 4 hours for the first time in the morning.

WU: 7
Nap: 11-1.15
BT: 6

Hubby did BT so always takes him a bit longer so i actually dont think he got her down till near 6.30!

Ugh i no im already dreading the 2nd nap later as its so difficult to get her down for it!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
I do agree with the 2-1 topic in the FAQ when they say to stick to 2 naps for as long as possible. Everything was good until I did 3 one nap days in a row and now I'm getting so much CN resistance. Hope you have better luck today

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »
Ahh this is a horrible process! My 3:2 experience was literally overnight!

She slept from 10-11.30 this morning, so im going to try a catnap at 3.30 and cap it at 30mins and got for a half 7 BT?? What do u think?

Thank u!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
ITWM, I wouldn't have been able to pull that off with my DD, so not much help. If her first nap had ended at 11.30, I would have done (hoped for) a longer pm nap with BT at 7. After a 30 minute nap, DD can sadly only do a short A:( If I had gone for the CN, I would have had to put her to bed at 5.30, which isn't feasible, really. Hope you figure it out:)

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:05 am »
Just checking in again.

We have had some 1 nap and some 2 nap days which i dont mind but it appears the days she has 2 naps she sleeps terribly and wakes every hour during the night and 1 nap days she sleep 12 hours straight in the night! Should i just be pushing the morning A time to get to 1 nap everyday? Her A time is currently 4 hours but think an increase but be due again already!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 07:45:23 am »
Try it out. That would make sense since you have observed such a difference between these days. It's not that the A to bed is too long on 2 nap days, right?

Offline Henty

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 08:26:13 am »
Thats the only other thing it could be i guess. She generally shows NO tired signs until i actually lie her down so its hard to tell! And BT is such a battle on 2 nap days so i always assume UT but i suppose it could be the opposite. Aghhhh they like to keep us guessing!
Baby Girl 💗 27/8/14 💗