Author Topic: Too much A-time? Too little sleep? (16mo)  (Read 901 times)

Offline Aromy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Too much A-time? Too little sleep? (16mo)
« on: May 03, 2015, 20:29:24 pm »
Hi BW, my toddler is 16mo (15mo corrected) and we're doing really well, despite a bit of teething. But in the past 2 weeks, we've had some tricky times. We switched to one nap when she was just 11 mo. I think she's always been low sleep needs and long awake times, but I'm wondering if she's getting enough sleep. We're up to 6hrs A-time before and after napping, even if we do a lot of running and walking around.

Here's our current EASY:

7am WU
A time is 5hr45-6hrs
1pm Nap 1hr15-2hrs
A time 5hr30-6hrs
8-8:30 Bedtime

She usually sleeps through the night. But that means sometimes we have a 13hr+ day. We wake her at 7am, and we wake her if her nap goes beyond 2:45pm. And lately, we've had to wake her up in the morning and from her nap. I've tried putting her to bed earlier but she just wouldn't settle. Other than that, she's a happy baby. Eats well when not teething and loves to socialize. She has a lovey, a white noise machine, and a lullaby pull string toy.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's experienced this. I also don't want to deprive her of anything that she needs. Is it okay to wake her up in the morning and after her nap? Or is this the way that our days will be for a while? Anyone else on this boat?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Too much A-time? Too little sleep? (16mo)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:23:16 am »
Is there a reason to wake her in the morning? My DD3 is low sleep needs and I wake from naps (to preserve a 10.5/11 hr night) but so long as we have no where to be I allow her to wake on her own in the morning.I figure she needs to have somewhere to tack on if she needs extra sleep.
Heidi

Offline Aromy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 13:10:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, you're right. She has to get some extra sleep somehow, I figure she'd just settle for her nap a bit earlier if she needed it. But that doesn't seem to be the case! I'll try not waking her in the morning for a few days and see what our days look like. I'm worried about having to cap her naps to just an hour just preserve an 8-8:30pm bedtime. Will tell you how that goes. Thanks again!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:14:39 am »
Yeah the nap capping sucks...we are down to 45 mins, sometimes an hour if we get an ew. You might find she wakes on her own at a similar time in the morning!
Heidi

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:31:29 am »
Just jumping in with a LSN  LO to say we were on a 45 - 60 minute nap at 16  months too. I'd let her sleep in the morning too, and just keep WU  time from her nap consistent. If she takes a while to settle cos she's UT,  she'll get a shorter nap. If she's tired and goes to sleep sooner she gets a long nap.  That way she can get all the overnight sleep she needs and self regulate during the day.

It wasn't an issue for my son, who's always done short naps, but that worked well for my daughter, who was / is also LSN. Jack also has 13 hr days as standard btw. 12hr days / nights just haven't ever happened here. I don't think that's unusual for a LSN child, though.  If she's happy,  that's your biggest clue that everything is alright  :)

Hope that helps  :)