Author Topic: Steaming veggies vs cooking in water  (Read 12860 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Steaming veggies vs cooking in water
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 07:25:59 am »
I have to ask- what else I can give him to eat at this age - 7,5 months
Almost anything, there's a list of things to avoid here:
Foods To Avoid
Mainly it's sugar, honey, whole nuts (smooth nut spread is ok, ground nuts used in cooking are ok), keep salt very very low (don't use in cooking and watch out for salt in shop bought items), raw fish.

Can I give him natural yougurt, eggs?
Yes. I would be careful to read the label on yoghurt, better to get only natural with no added sugar.

I know it's not cow's milk time yet, neither bread.
Cows milk is fine used in cooking (so cheese is fine, yoghurt, butter, and any family meals you make with milk added such as white sauce), just don't give cows milk as a drink in place of breast milk or formula. Bread is also fine. I watch out for salt levels in shop bought bread the UK as they are higher than many other countries. Toast, sandwich, naan fingers, chapati fingers, pitta etc are fine as finger foods.

Eggs are fine so long as they are cooked through. scrambled, omelete (a firmer one rather than a soft in the middle one) fritata.  If you want to just offer the hard boiled yolk you could loosen it down by mashing with butter or milk.

I'm not sure I understand 'jam' as we might have a language confusion there. To me 'jam' is usually a fruit converse with lots of sugar which I'd avoid giving to a LO.  Also be cautious of how much juice you give, LOs do have a sweet tooth and will likely enjoy juice but it is not good for teeth (even before they  have cut through) and for longer term habits.

Hope this helps, here are some more ideas:
Recipes for babies and toddlers
Finger Foods (6 months+)

In general you can offer a little of what your family eat, especially if you do not cook with salt, sugar, honey.

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 18:52:46 pm »
Oh I meant yams, as sweet potato.

I am so glad to hear that! Slowly, slowly I will make my little man eat like a big boy:)

Thank you!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 09:31:04 am »
Oh I meant yams, as sweet potato.
:D I thought 'jam' couldn't be right  :D