Author Topic: EW - 18 months  (Read 906 times)

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:01:32 am »
Hi - I haven't posted in a long time as things have been going well. Not that they aren't going well now, but we are 5 days into an odd EW habit.

DD (18 months) has been on 1 nap for a few months now & has always needed less than average day sleep with very good nights. Our EASY has been quite solid for a while, obviously with some movement on BT for a bad nap day:

Wake-06.15/06.30
Nap - 12.00/12.30-13.30/14.00
Sleep for the night 18.30/19.00

A nap an earlier than 12.00 causes a 45 minute nap with a refusal of an afternoon nap, unless it happens to be early enough that she has woken from it by 10.00....this only happens if we are in the car early & she refuses an a.m nap if it isn't 'forced' by being in the car. Because of one nap & being young she gets OT if we have a later bedtime, causing issues getting to sleep & NW's.

EW has been occurring for just under a week meaning that BT is moving closer to 18.00 to avoid OT-we seem to be creating a EBT/EW cycle.

I've got black out blinds (very dark) & white noise so the birds aren't waking her.

Any good ideas??

TIA

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:20:15 am »
I should also add that in all but one accession she has woken having done a poo. Before the EWs started her bowel movements were predictable at mid morning & mid afternoon. But IM guessing it's the early morning poo that is waking her prematurely? Meal times haven't changed (07.30/08.00 breakfast, 11.30 lunch & 16.45 tea) but she does have 4 inscisors coming through...

Just a phase & ride it out or take action?

Baby 2 is due in a matter of weeks & im not sure I can do 05.30 starts with a toddler on top of NFs again 😁

TIA

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 15:49:10 pm »
Hi there, I wrote a long reply earlier then lost it! ugh, hate that. Anyway, first of all congratulations on your pregnancy :) Of course as always the timing for DD could be better, seems to often be the way!

Her routine looks good, and it's clear that you are familiar with what works for her, you seem to know her very well :). 18 months is a typical age for sleep going wonky, due to development and often teething, which I think seems pretty relevant in this case. Teething causes extra saliva to pool in the mouth, and this often causes a cough when sliding down the throat, making it seem like LO has a cough. But in addition it can cause bowel changes, I believe due to LO swallowing all that saliva also (don't quote me on that reason, it's back in my memory somewhere from DS ;)) I do wonder if once the teething is done, she will just stop EW and go back to her routine.

Is there anything else going on developmentally, like a speech/movement leap for example  ???

Here is a link for you Hun, let me know your thoughts.

18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3

((HUGS))

Vicki.x.

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 17:42:03 pm »
Thank you for your reply 😀 She does have a cough actually...hadn't put that down to teeth but it makes sense!

Developmentally she is just racing! She is learning new words all the time-to the point where we can barely keep up 😄 We know that she struggles to process everything if she gets OT as she'll refuse sleep, play around in her cot & try & do head stands even though she is clearly exhausted! Such a hard age for them!

I wondered whether some wake-to-sleep might help? We are both pretty exhausted so I'm really hoping it either resolves itself soon or I can take some action...I don't know why but the 45 minutes between 05.30-06.15 seems more like 3 hours 😄

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 19:47:30 pm »
Developmentally she is just racing! She is learning new words all the time-to the point where we can barely keep up

So typical at this age Hun, a joy but plays absolute havoc with sleep!  ::)

We know that she struggles to process everything if she gets OT as she'll refuse sleep, play around in her cot & try & do head stands even though she is clearly exhausted! Such a hard age for them!

I remember it well, the loopy behaviour has always been and still is guaranteed OT for us  :P.

I wondered whether some wake-to-sleep might help? We are both pretty exhausted so I'm really hoping it either resolves itself soon or I can take some action

Honestly, I'm afraid I doubt it, because it isn't a sleep issue per se you know? However if you want to find out if anyone has successfully done this during the regression, I would join the support thread, I am sure you will get extra support there and it may save your sanity also ;)

I don't know why but the 45 minutes between 05.30-06.15 seems more like 3 hours 😄

Every minute in the am is worth an hour!

Here for any more questions you may have, or just a jolly good moan  ;)

x.