Author Topic: Wind down tips for a spirited, third child (15mo)  (Read 894 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Wind down tips for a spirited, third child (15mo)
« on: May 08, 2015, 17:29:48 pm »
Bedtime is not going well here, probably for several reasons.  C was fed to sleep at BT for most of his life.  About 6 weeks ago, we dropped a couple lingering NFs and in the past few weeks I've been more careful to make sure he doesn't get too drowsy/fall asleep while nursing at BT. Now that the feed isn't coming right at BT, he's not very interested, so we've given it up. :'( However, it seemed that the feed relaxed him and now he's struggling to settle (most nights taking 30+ min and some taking over an hr). He's in a bit of an OT pattern (I think), so is also likely going down a bit late and hitting a second wind.  And, things aren't often quiet around here before bedtime, so I think he's also wound up from DH and the other two kids being around.

At nap time, I just bring him to his room, turn off the light, turn on the fan (white noise) and sing and sway with him for a minute or two before putting him down.  He generally goes right to sleep, sometimes takes up to 10min to settle. The same thing doesn't seem to work at BT.  My mom mentioned that she started reading him a book before putting him down (she babysits every now and then in the evening and can put him down for a nap too) and that it relaxed him (She does rock him to sleep, however, and he often holds onto the book the whole time ::)). I tried that, and he was quite relaxed as we were reading (he loves to read books), but he didn't want to put it down and then got really mad when we had to stop! ::) So, we were already behind and once he gets upset, he tends to get more and more mad until sometimes he's hysterical.

We also haven't been super consistent in settling him.  I tend to go for WIWO, as it's what I feel most confident with and he often gets distracted by my presence. DH often chooses to sit by his crib.  Sometimes that works quickly and well, but others he starts acting silly and not settling at all.  We're also guilty of changing our tactic partway through, in that when he's taking a looong time to settle, we'll stay and hold our hand on his back longer just to try to get him to sleep, as the other kids are then getting ready for bed too.  We're committed to now doing it more consistently with WIWO, but I do think a lot of the stuff leading up to actually putting him down needs to be consistent as well. 

Sorry, that got much longer than I intended.  Any good tips for winding down a spirited toddler? (I just took the toddler quiz last night and got 12 spirited, 3 textbook, 2 touchy, 2 grumpy, and 1 angel.)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Wind down tips for a spirited, third child (15mo)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:10:12 am »
I often let E take the last book we read into her bed...that way when she gets up the next day she has something different to look at and nothing to tantrum over. Sorry even though I have spirited kids they go from 0-60 and back in a flash so even revved up they drop like flies as soon as it is bedtime. Is he on one nap?
Heidi

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:16:25 am »
DD2 is a quick wind down kinda spirited kid.  I just sit in her room with her for 5-10min for a cuddle, with her white noise on, then plop her into bed.  We dont read to her as part of wind down, we read out in the living room before bed time...she goes to bed at 8pm so there's plenty of time, lol.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 18:35:31 pm »
Hmmm here feed is 6:30, bt is at 7pm. And bath in between and this is his wind down. We don't read books, he is super excited with that:P. Just thinking aloud that maybe he is OT at bt (and always was) but with a feed you just ride it out. I remember that when we changed the routine to do feed before bath he also needed time to understand it's bt for him without a bottle...:);
~Marta

Offline katie80

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 14:47:38 pm »
Thanks for your experiences, ladies. I think I just need to keep trying and see what is going to work... right now it seems like nothing does. :-\

Marta - I think you do have a point about the change in routine. It's only been since last Tues he hasn't had a BT feed, so that takes a bit of time to get used to. Something still just feels off, but he is settling a little quicker the last few nights.

Heidi - Yes, he's on one nap... routine is kind of a mess though, so that does factor in.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:45 am »
Hi Honey,

Just popping on with some extra ((HUGS)). I know for some LO's when bath time occurs is relevant, as for some it is a relaxing part of the WD, but for some too stimulating. Just something to consider switching up to see if it makes a difference. Have you tried relaxing music in his room yet? That also works for some, as it gives them something to focus on when you leave, and a distraction has always been something that works well with DS, who is also spirited.

((HUGS))

x.

Offline katie80

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 23:39:55 pm »
Thanks, Vicki. He doesn't often get a bath before bed, I usually try to do it another part of the day because the after school/dinner/bedtime rush is already kinda crazy. :P I haven't tried music... he's got a box fan going for white noise. I'm afraid to try too much, because I think he just needs firm consistency (which is not always easy), but I'll keep it in mind. :)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »
Onwards and upwards Hun. As white noise is something which they're not supposed to be 'aware' of, I guess there's a chance that music may give him something to focus on whilst winding down as an option. Like you say, it's a good one to keep on the back burner.

Hang in there Hun.x.