Author Topic: Walking... when?  (Read 5524 times)

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 11:23:55 am »
A question to everyone whose kids started walking a bit later - did you find certain activities or exercises to be helpful?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Walking... when?
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 11:30:15 am »
A question to everyone whose kids started walking a bit later - did you find certain activities or exercises to be helpful?

Not that DS1 was really late at 14.5months before he was properly walking rather than a few steps, but I honestly think his amazing (for his age) hand eye co-ordination when it comes to catching & throwing a ball come from the fact that when he wasn't even crawling at 10 mo he would happily sit & roll a ball back & forward for ages.

I do think that while some children may be slower to walk, they often are gaining other skills that earlier walkers may not be to the same degree.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
Yup= late late late- was about 15 or 16 months... but like some previous posters LOs was a talker. The physios i worked with didn't even want to enter into a discussion on the topic until he was 18 months old! Until then it's all normal normal normal. Hamish was and is a very cautious guy- no way he was going to try this walking thing and risk falling over. And as his language was in first he could ask for what he wanted- rather than having to walk to get it. At the time it seems like they will never get it- but basically if they are leading in the right direction (as in pulling to stand, crawling, furniture walking, almost walking) then they'll get there.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 14:24:15 pm »
Often, I think people are just trying to make conversation asking things like are they walking yet, yk?  It's just small talk even though it's hard not to take it personally or worry. 
This^^^ It's kind of like the 'how is he sleeping question' when they're infants.  So silly, really, because each and every one is so different, but it's just what people ask to make small talk.  It is hard though, to let it roll off your back sometimes.  But, all the replies here should reassure you, he's developing perfectly normal!  My three were 13, 16, and 12mo respectively.

I do have to say though, that hearing the 'walker or talker' thing wasn't really helpful for me, unfortunately.  My G was late in both, not doing either til 16-18mo and he didn't say much until he was two.  But, at 3.5 you'd never know and a lot of people compliment him on his clarity and vocabulary when speaking. He just took his time.  I wasn't too worried, although I did have moments of uncertainty, because he had good gross motor skills and a good understanding of communication (he used sign language and I could tell he understood everything I was saying). So, I knew he was working on those skills and they would come in time.  Just as F is doing now. :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 11:45:11 am »
Thank you so much!!! All of you.

Katie it's funny as that what's I thought - DS is not a talker however his language skills definitely jumped last months but still I don't get what he is saying:P. But he is a climber:P. Would like and unfortunately is skilled enough to climb over anything which is even 2/3 of his size...😏

And... He just started walking:). On 4 days before his 15mo. Still prefers crawling but walks!!!

Once again ladies thank you for reassurance!
~Marta

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 11:57:43 am »
Hooray!! There won't be anything stopping him now!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
Haha Katy, that's what I start to be afraid of:).
~Marta

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 16:44:13 pm »
So glad I found this post x dd is almost 17 months old and won't even take a step on her own, she has been pretty late at everything tbh rolling over, sitting up etc, she can walk around the furniture and she can stand for a few seconds unaided but that's it if I try to encourage her to walk to me she just shakes her head and then gets down and crawls lol......yet her speech is really good she can say a few words now... All the other kids walked by 13 months so this is kind of new to me and it's frustrating me, we have just been away for a week and it's hard work when your toddler doesn't walk as she wanted to be out of the pram and crawling around on dirty floors 😳
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 17:16:35 pm »
Quote (selected)
your toddler doesn't walk as she wanted to be out of the pram and crawling around on dirty floors

^^^^ this was us just until a week ago honey so I know what you mean:)

Ladies here are great with support and they really answered each and every my doubt. So keeping fingers crossed for you and your DD so she runs the world soon!
~Marta