Author Topic: Yet another early rising 7 month old  (Read 3208 times)

Offline firemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 10, 2015, 23:38:57 pm »
For the most part we are happy with our 7 1/2 month olds sleep. He's slept thru the night since he was 2 1/2. But about a month ago he started waking up earlier and earlier, now he wakes up at 5:15. But I don't think it's enough sleep because he's tired less than 2 hours later. And Just for fun the last couple nights he woke up at 1 am as well. When he wakes up before 6, I can get him to go back to sleep by feeding him, etc. But if he wakes after 6 he will not go back to sleep. I'd like him to wake up closer to 7am, if that's possible. He's content in his crib until just after 6. But if I don't respond promptly he will not go back to sleep. Should I treat his early waking like a night waking and just feed him and put him back to sleep or should I leave him alone until he is unhappy?

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 00:39:02 am »
Also, I meant to post his schedule.

5:15 Awake, feed and back asleep until 7
7 Awake
7:15 Nurse
8 Solids
9 - 9:30 nap 1.5 - 2 hours
10:30-11 Awake
11 Nurse
12 Solids
1:30-2 Nap 1.5 Hours
3:30 Awake
3:30 Nurse
4:30 Solids
*Cat nap in here somewhere
7 Nurse
7:30 Asleep for the night

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Yet another early rising 7 month old
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:44:05 am »
Personally I would always feed back to sleep at that time if it works because I have a great fear of EWs and know how quickly wake up time can become habit. Having said that though I think you could use a routine tweak. At this age baby should really need about 3 hrs A time and be dropping the catnap. If you get on s more age appropriate routine that may eliminate the EW.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:34:53 am by anna* »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:50:14 am »
Totally agree with Anne. I would personally push especially first nap to be a later one (15min later every couple of days). I would also think about capping that nap frankly speaking to 1.5h until but let LO sleep as much as needed at second nap. When you already are closer to your dream WU time, you may stop capping. From that moment just look out for his waking time, if it's earlier and earlier push the first nap back.
~Marta

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:28:50 am »
Thank you so very much. I wasn't sure if feeding him would make him start to wake up early expecting it out of habit. I will continue to feed him and let him go back to sleep. I will try pushing his first nap later and capping it at 1.5 hrs. I will also try dropping the cat nap. He just gets over tired without it. And when he's overtired he won't take a bottle from my husband on the nights I work. Also, I was nervous to move up his bedtime if that might continue the early waking. But I will try all of your suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:24 am »
Good luck, let us know how you get along

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:13 am »
I will. Thank you Again! I'm feeling hopeful again!

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:16 am »
I think we're on the right track. I hope. He still woke up early this morning but at least he didn't wake up in the middle of the night again.

Yesterday went like this:

5:45 Awake, fed, would not go back to sleep.
        After less than 2 hours he really wanted to go back to sleep, it was a lot of "Hey, let's look at this"
9:15 Sleep
10:45 Woke him up.
10:55 Nurse
12:00 Solids
        He was fairly fussy for this A time. Again we had to keep changing scenery, giving him something new to look at/play with.
2:10 Sleep
4:15 Woke him up. (I was nervous to let him sleep too far past 2 hours and throw off his bedtime.)
4:20 Nurse
        Pretty Happy this evening.
6:50 Supplemental Bottle & Nursing (my supply is pretty limited by this time of day)
7:30 Asleep for the night.

This morning he was awake by 5:30. I had to change his whole wardrobe cuz his diaper leaked. Then I fed him. By 6 he was still awake but I left him in his crib because I had to get ready for work. He was back asleep by 6:15. (I was super excited, I didn't think that was going to happen)

How long should I let him sleep? If he's still sleeping past 7, should I wake him to start the day?
Are there any tweaks I should make to the day's schedule?

My Husband's in charge for today since I'm working. And he'll do his best to keep to the routine. But he has a harder time extending A time. Cal tends to get very fussy with his Daddy if he doesn't get to go to sleep when he wants to.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thank you so much for the help.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:54 pm »
You are doing awesome! I would probably wake him at 7.30 if he is isnt already. So cool that he went back to sleep, that must feel great! The longer A times do get easier, I think they get used to certain A times and get tired almost by habit - this of it like if as an adult you got used to taking an afternoon nap, you would habitually get tired for it, but could equally break the habit if you tried to for a few days.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:17:05 pm by anna* »

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 20:12:47 pm »
I think we are on the right track. Cal slept until 6:30 this morning!!!

Today has went like this:

6:30 Awake
7 Bottle Feed
9:25 Nap
10:45 Awake
11 Nurse
12 Solids
2:00 Nap
3:30 Awake (I extended his nap once at 2:45, then I tried again at the 3:30 wake up, but he was totally awake)
3:40 Nurse

He gets really fussy after 3 hours awake especially in the evenings And tonight my husband will be giving him a bottle which he tends to refuse if he's OT. Should we let him have a short cat nap to get him to his regular bedtime at 7 or should we give him an early bedtime?

Thank you for any advise

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 20:14:24 pm »
That's awesien! I would avoid the catnap and go for early bed.

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 20:28:08 pm »
OK! THANKS!  :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:17:38 am »
That a great routine Hon.
I would try to push slightly more in coming weeks to have a nap at 10am and maybe 2:30pm, both uncapped. With two naps of 1:30 you could have by easily around 7pm and wakeup arounf 7am.

As Anne advised I would try to push for two naps if they are around 1:30, but also I would be afraid to go for a catnap here or there, short (max 20min) before 7pm if he is clearly OT as one/both naps are a bit of a crap.
~Marta

Offline firemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 13:40:28 pm »
Thank you. I guess last night didn't go so well without the catnap. My husband said that Cal was very fussy all evening and OT even tho he started the last feeding 45 minutes early. He cried a lot and didn't feed well. Luckily, Cal still slept through the night to wake at 6:15 this morning. It's definitely an adjustment to the longer A times. But I think you're definitely right, a nap at 10 and another at 2:30 would be ideal. He just went down for his morning nap at 9:30 and I'm hoping he'll sleep till 11.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 13:48:43 pm »
Honey I did a mistake in my previous post so am pasting it once again:
also I wouldn't be afraid to go for a catnap here or there, short (max 20min) before 7pm if he is clearly OT as one/both naps are a bit of a crap
~Marta