Author Topic: How many naps for 10 week old and for how long?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline JennyBash

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How many naps for 10 week old and for how long?
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:23:32 am »
Hi ladies, I'm new here. I have a 10 week old daughter and we started EASY yesterday. I feel like since we started I don't get to snuggle cuddle and love her as much as I did before, it feels like she's forever in her cot  :-[ she generally wakes at 8am for the day (excellent sleeper at night, goes down at 8pm, wakes at 4am/5am for a bottle then sleeps till 8) we start the day at 8 with a bottle then go downstairs for activity usually laying under the playgym with music and toys while I have breakfast. She only lasts around an hour before I see she's getting tired, put her in sleep bag, say goodnight/goodbye sun and close the blinds and she soothes herself to sleep with her dummy within 15 minutes. We follow the pattern of eat, activity sleep but it feels like she's always going down to bed! Is she sleeping too much? I miss our cuddles  :-[ I think because we were getting into bad habits (carrying rocking and cuddling to sleep) she wouldn't go down in her cot, so things were getting difficult. She's taken so so well to the easy plan, and it's clear she loves her cot and settling herself to sleep. I guess what I'm asking is is she sleeping too much? She usually stays up for around an hour- 2 hours before next nap, and with feeding, changing and burping it doesn't leave much time for play or cuddles. Also she would wake up if she had enough snooze time wouldn't she? Really appreciate any replies! Thank you

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: How many naps for 10 week old and for how long?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 21:32:28 pm »
Typical day and night sleep:
Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep

She "should" be awake for 6-9 hours/day, including the time she spends eating and changing diapers.

She is very unlikely to oversleep! You can generally assume she's sleeping as much as she needs. Can you try to find some more cuddly and interactive A time activities, instead of putting her on her mat? Like walking her around the house to look at things, baby massage, bouncing and singing, tickle games?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: How many naps for 10 week old and for how long?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 22:14:04 pm »
Hi Jenny, welcome,

Things change very quickly at this age so you'll soon be wondering how to fill her A time I bet.  ;)

As per the link DE posted typical A time at this age is more like 1hr20 so you'll probably get about 4 naps of 1.5-2hrs in an idea world. If some naps are shorter you may get more naps in the day. There are some sample routines here. chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months
Scroll down to the 8-12wo section for ones that fit a 10wo.

Don't feel you always have to put her in the bed for naps. If you want to hold her or wear her in a sling etc. for some naps you can enjoy extra sleepy cuddles then  ;D
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011