Author Topic: Milk as Lovey  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: May 12, 2015, 16:36:13 pm »
I thought this issue is separate enough from my BBB transition thread to warrant a new one.

H is almost 18 months. He just moved from a crib to a twin bed a couple weeks ago. In that time, he has also attached to a lovey for the first time... But it's his sippy cup of milk!

I think it's bad for his teeth to go to bed with milk. Also, he wants milk when he's sleepy even if he's had his milk allotment for the day already, so it's a diet problem. If I put water in the cup, he sobs and refuses to go to sleep.

Thoughts? I'm trying to attach him to a bear with limited success. Should I just stop letting him take a cup to bed at all?

He has a cold now so we're doing whatever it takes to get sleep, but after he's well I could work on this. Kind of. Baby is due on the 6th, and then my mom will mostly be taking care of Henry for a while as I focus on new baby.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Milk as Lovey
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 16:47:24 pm »
Yah, I would say no cups in bed and make that an end to it. He can have milk at bedtime for sure, but before brushing teeth.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 20:07:21 pm »
Also, he wants milk when he's sleepy even if he's had his milk allotment for the day already, so it's a diet problem. If I put water in the cup, he sobs and refuses to go to sleep.
What do you mean he took his allotment, Honey? I agree with Anna that maybe it's wortk giving him more milk but just before bath & teeth brushing.
~Marta

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 21:06:51 pm »
I give him 4-5 oz of milk 3 times/day, at meal time, and he can carry it around the house and finish it after meals if there's some left. The rest of the time he gets water. I call it his "allotment" because if he gets more milk than that it upsets his tummy.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 21:54:28 pm »
I agree with Anna that I would just remove the cup of milk from him before brushing teeth. You might have to support him a little more at BT to help him settle but he should get used to it. One halfway house sort of idea would be to offer milk earlier in a different cup, and give him his lovey cup at bedtime but with water in it. This won't harm his teeth but might provide him still with some comfort if you don't want to remove it from him altogether.
~ Naomi ~

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 00:24:20 am »
It's really not often that he's even had milk in bed, so I don't know why he suddenly thinks he needs it! He usually finishes his dinner milk well before bedtime. I'll probably start limiting milk to the table only and let him have water in his favorite cup at bed time.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 00:59:57 am »
Is he maybe having a growth spurt and is honestly hungry at bedtime? DD3 will cry and cry for milk during a gs where at other times she really doesn't care if she gets any (she has a sippy cup after supper/before bath).
Heidi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 13:57:04 pm »
I don't know - I haven't really thought about growth spurts in a while! Maybe it's because he has a sore throat and the milk makes him feel better.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 15:10:24 pm »
Generally speaking after one they hit them every six months or so - birthday & half birthday. A sore throat would for sure be a reason for it too though! What about warm water in a sippy? Is his milk cold or warm?
Heidi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 19:49:02 pm »
His milk is cold. A couple of times I got him to accept warm homemade chicken stock in a cup. Last night he went to bed with a cup of water, so hopefully he'll be happy with that once his throat is feeling better. And he is almost exactly 18 months, so I guess I should be looking for a growth spurt! Hard to imagine him growing more - he's already quite tall for his age.