Author Topic: EMW - 16 month old - any success stories to share?  (Read 726 times)

Offline Alexhas1

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EMW - 16 month old - any success stories to share?
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:30:59 am »
Hi,

So I posted a week or so ago about a) getting rid of the dummy b) stopping night waking and c) EMWs.
I've tackled a and b, now only the early mornings to crack i think.

So…
- DS goes to bed at 7/7.15. He starts to stir from 4.30/5am and I normally go in for him at 5.30am.
- breakfast at 6.30
- Sometimes a short 20 min nap at around 8.30 with him getting up so early
- Lunch 11.30/12
- Longer nap around 12.30/1 until 2pm ish
- dinner at 5
- bath at 6.30
- bottle at 6.45/7pm
- asleep by 7.15

He's getting around 2-2.5 hours sleep during the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a loss! And would love him to sleep until at least 6am!

x

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: EMW - 16 month old - any success stories to share?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:13:32 am »
Have you tried an earlier bedtime? I would not do an early morning catnap as that will reinforce the eW, but you could do the lunchtime map a bit earlier.

Offline Alexhas1

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:48:28 am »
Not sure? I was doing his bath at 6 and he was asleep by 6.40 and he still never slept past 5am.
Should I be trying to limit his daytime sleep?
If I have to drop the morning cat nap and bring his long nap forward, what time will I put him to bed as the afternoons may end up quite long then?

I can't see me getting him to stay awake until 11am when he's up at 5/5.30 (it was 5 this morning)  :-\

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:11 am »
I definitely wouldn't limit daytime sleep. It seems he's only getting around 11.5hrs sleep in 24 hrs which really isn't a lot, at this age we'd expect to see more like 13.5-4hrs.

OK it is pretty well accepted that an early morning nap reinforces early waking. Of course it is up to you what you do, but most kids only start to stretch out their lunchtime nap once they are solidly on just one nap per day. You could even do it at 10 or 10.30, and give a nice big snack or bottle right before hand so his tummy is nice and full and he's not going to wake up from hunger. Hopefully then he would do a good 2hr nap.

The rationale behind an early bed is that he is only doing about 10 hours at night. Even bed at 6.40 is only half an hour early so not early enough, really. Early bed doesn't always mean an earlier morning - but even if he goes to bed at 6 and wakes up at 5, that's still an 11 hour night which is an improvement, plus he'll be more likely to be able to last for a later nap if he's had a longer night, you know?

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:16:09 am »
Hi, just wanted to let you know I`m going trough the same thing.
DD is 17m since yesterday :) she has a dummy for sleeping (Ill look at your other post to see how you worked on that :) ), has NW and EMS, and naps are strange too now (she napped 40-60 minutes for a few days, then went back to almost 2h yesterday).
There is a WW and sleep regression around this age, (plus for my lo canines are coming ::)). Can this be happening to your little one too?
I agree with Anna about the nap, pushing to one long nap has helped us.

HTH