Author Topic: Ds in his own room for the first time  (Read 3317 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Ds in his own room for the first time
« on: May 17, 2015, 23:17:00 pm »
Tonight ds will be in his crib in the room alone for the first time. He's always slept in his crib but in our room. We are hoping this makes it easier for us to sleep train. Need a little hand holding and advice  :-\

[/url]

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Ds in his own room for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:12 am »
HOLDING YOUR HAND! HUGS HUGS HUGS!

(I responded to your post.)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:49 am »
Thanks ginger

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:10:59 am »
It will be fine, hun. Do you have a monitor? That might help. Who knows, you both might sleep much better now :-*

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:21 pm »
So it didn't go terribly but it didn't go smoothly which was expected. He woke up 3 times and I ended up nursing once and helped him settle the other two. After I nursed him I felt like all the work I'd done earlier was out the window :( he was just so miserable and screaming to almost throwing up. Do you go in to help settle after they first wake or just wait and listen to their cues and only go in when they get distressed?

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:19 pm »
And new kid I don't have a monitor but our house is small enough I can hear with both doors open. Tonight I might try and close his door and just leave ours open though...

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 13:59:52 pm »
he was just so miserable and screaming to almost throwing up.
Oh no. {{hugs}} it will get better. But tell me, in your room, did he sleep in your bed or in his crib? How did you resettle NWs - feeding?

Do you go in to help settle after they first wake or just wait and listen to their cues and only go in when they get distressed?
I put a pillow over my head and hope that she will go back to sleep, which she mostly does but then I'm awake and can't get back to sleep:p Just kidding. I think you will have to judge the situation but I hold back. Sometimes DD will wake up SCREAMING but then go back to sleep two minutes later. It might take a while but mostly they do resettle. Going in too quickly might make it worse.

I don't have a monitor but our house is small enough I can hear with both doors open. Tonight I might try and close his door
Ah, I can completely understand then - it is hard to judge when you can't see what's going on in there. Closing his door might be best, if you are certain you would be able to hear him. He might get disturbed with noises or light from outside the door. It depends on your home set-up actually. We have dogs, so no way I can leave her door open. As it is my lab keeps opening her door and waking her up

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 14:45:03 pm »
He's always slept in his crib and his nws I resettled with feeding. It just progressed bc at first he obviously was hungry as a newborn and I just never paid attention to the fact that I should have been weaning him off nfs until it was too late and the issue had already been *firmly* established unfortunately. I do have a video monitor so I can see him I just can't keep the audio running on it bc I check it on my phone (it's a foscam if you've heard of it). Dd was much easier to wean and I guess we did gradual withdrawal with her since she was on bottles we just put less and less formula .
I waited a bit to go in last night but I think I was going I  too early. He would be fussing but not really hard. It's just hard bc I don't him to wake up dd and dh but both of them can fall back to  sleep and dh has been well informed of what to expect. I don't feel like he's 100% on board bc he thinks he will grow out of it on his own but he's also not the one getting up to feed him either (but he does complain about being woken up at night). I think it was a good start last night...I was dreading it and even though it was rough one night is down which is one night more than we had before :)

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 14:48:25 pm »
even though it was rough one night is down which is one night more than we had before
That's a great way to look at it. He will take a bit to catch on but it will happen. I would also suggest spending lots of time in his new room, playing and generally hanging out. Let him get used to being in there:)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 15:31:39 pm »
Well hes actually still in our room. We are sleeping in DSD room. DH thought moving him would be too much at once for him to deal with.

[/url]

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 15:49:11 pm »
I'm sure you handled it the best you could! And yes, one night down! But also yes, perhaps wait a few more minutes longer before going in.  TBH, I did the same the first night and nursed for the last NW. I then just counted the next day the "first day" and started fresh with a new commitment to make my household a sleeping one! I know DH doesn't fully understand, but when this is all said and done, hopefully he will realize that your intentions were to help everyone and that you know what you're doing!

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 16:23:16 pm »
The first night I guess is like a trial run lol...

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:21 am »
I think he was ot tonight when i put him down. He usually will self settle with no problems at bt but tonight he did the crying like he would at night. Normally I'd nurse again to settle but we worked on our routine. I sat next to his crib patted his pillow and said night night and he lay down, sit up and we'd do it again. I ended up stroking his head and he fell asleep. I'm kinda glad this happened bc it was good practice without me being exhausted at 2 am so we will see how tonight goes.

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:46 am »
Hope the night went well. Good for you for getting him down without re-nursing:)

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:16 am »
Well done, indeed.  I remember the transition from our room into his room like yesterday.  It was nerve wrecking.  Use your voice also.  We underestimate the power of our voice.  FX for you for another day/night.  x