Author Topic: Ds in his own room for the first time  (Read 3318 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Ds in his own room for the first time
« on: May 17, 2015, 23:17:00 pm »
Tonight ds will be in his crib in the room alone for the first time. He's always slept in his crib but in our room. We are hoping this makes it easier for us to sleep train. Need a little hand holding and advice  :-\

[/url]

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Ds in his own room for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:12 am »
HOLDING YOUR HAND! HUGS HUGS HUGS!

(I responded to your post.)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:49 am »
Thanks ginger

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:10:59 am »
It will be fine, hun. Do you have a monitor? That might help. Who knows, you both might sleep much better now :-*

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:21 pm »
So it didn't go terribly but it didn't go smoothly which was expected. He woke up 3 times and I ended up nursing once and helped him settle the other two. After I nursed him I felt like all the work I'd done earlier was out the window :( he was just so miserable and screaming to almost throwing up. Do you go in to help settle after they first wake or just wait and listen to their cues and only go in when they get distressed?

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:19 pm »
And new kid I don't have a monitor but our house is small enough I can hear with both doors open. Tonight I might try and close his door and just leave ours open though...

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 13:59:52 pm »
he was just so miserable and screaming to almost throwing up.
Oh no. {{hugs}} it will get better. But tell me, in your room, did he sleep in your bed or in his crib? How did you resettle NWs - feeding?

Do you go in to help settle after they first wake or just wait and listen to their cues and only go in when they get distressed?
I put a pillow over my head and hope that she will go back to sleep, which she mostly does but then I'm awake and can't get back to sleep:p Just kidding. I think you will have to judge the situation but I hold back. Sometimes DD will wake up SCREAMING but then go back to sleep two minutes later. It might take a while but mostly they do resettle. Going in too quickly might make it worse.

I don't have a monitor but our house is small enough I can hear with both doors open. Tonight I might try and close his door
Ah, I can completely understand then - it is hard to judge when you can't see what's going on in there. Closing his door might be best, if you are certain you would be able to hear him. He might get disturbed with noises or light from outside the door. It depends on your home set-up actually. We have dogs, so no way I can leave her door open. As it is my lab keeps opening her door and waking her up

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 14:45:03 pm »
He's always slept in his crib and his nws I resettled with feeding. It just progressed bc at first he obviously was hungry as a newborn and I just never paid attention to the fact that I should have been weaning him off nfs until it was too late and the issue had already been *firmly* established unfortunately. I do have a video monitor so I can see him I just can't keep the audio running on it bc I check it on my phone (it's a foscam if you've heard of it). Dd was much easier to wean and I guess we did gradual withdrawal with her since she was on bottles we just put less and less formula .
I waited a bit to go in last night but I think I was going I  too early. He would be fussing but not really hard. It's just hard bc I don't him to wake up dd and dh but both of them can fall back to  sleep and dh has been well informed of what to expect. I don't feel like he's 100% on board bc he thinks he will grow out of it on his own but he's also not the one getting up to feed him either (but he does complain about being woken up at night). I think it was a good start last night...I was dreading it and even though it was rough one night is down which is one night more than we had before :)

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 14:48:25 pm »
even though it was rough one night is down which is one night more than we had before
That's a great way to look at it. He will take a bit to catch on but it will happen. I would also suggest spending lots of time in his new room, playing and generally hanging out. Let him get used to being in there:)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 15:31:39 pm »
Well hes actually still in our room. We are sleeping in DSD room. DH thought moving him would be too much at once for him to deal with.

[/url]

Offline ginger428

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 15:49:11 pm »
I'm sure you handled it the best you could! And yes, one night down! But also yes, perhaps wait a few more minutes longer before going in.  TBH, I did the same the first night and nursed for the last NW. I then just counted the next day the "first day" and started fresh with a new commitment to make my household a sleeping one! I know DH doesn't fully understand, but when this is all said and done, hopefully he will realize that your intentions were to help everyone and that you know what you're doing!

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 16:23:16 pm »
The first night I guess is like a trial run lol...

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:21 am »
I think he was ot tonight when i put him down. He usually will self settle with no problems at bt but tonight he did the crying like he would at night. Normally I'd nurse again to settle but we worked on our routine. I sat next to his crib patted his pillow and said night night and he lay down, sit up and we'd do it again. I ended up stroking his head and he fell asleep. I'm kinda glad this happened bc it was good practice without me being exhausted at 2 am so we will see how tonight goes.

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:46 am »
Hope the night went well. Good for you for getting him down without re-nursing:)

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:16 am »
Well done, indeed.  I remember the transition from our room into his room like yesterday.  It was nerve wrecking.  Use your voice also.  We underestimate the power of our voice.  FX for you for another day/night.  x

Offline ginger428

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 10:09:24 am »
Aw, that's so great to hear. =) Wondering how the rest of the night was???

I'll be off mostly off BW for a little bit, but you already have great support here.  Can't wait to hear about all the progress when I can check in... =)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:59:00 am by ginger413 »

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 13:05:26 pm »
So last night went great. He only woke up once at 245 and I went in and patted his pillow and kept saying night night and he did the same up/down/fidget routine for a bit and he settled and I stroked his head for about 1 min and stopped. It probably inly took about 20 mjnutes total.He was still awake when I left and he didn't make a peep until 615 this am!!!! Just the long stretch from 8-245 was awesome for him. But when he woke up at 615 I nursed him since that's his normal wake up time (6/630ish) but then he went back to sleep for 2 hrs...is that ok or should I have woken him up?
Of course though, ds finally sleeps decently and dd was up 5 TIMES last night lol!!!
I know tonight is a regression night so I'm not getting too ahead of myself with excitement bc I know there's work to be done still. I'm just so proud of him for finally getting a good night sleep in.
Is this going to mess my supply up? He didn't nurse for almost 12 hrs...

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 14:22:47 pm »
Good going! Very well done

If it was his normal WU time, I wouldn't have let him go back to sleep. That is, when it is WU time, I go into DD's room, say goodnight and give her a kiss and open the curtains. No way she is going back to sleep after that. But if you nursed him in a dark room, then maybe he thought it was a NF?  That being said, odd that he went back to sleep at all, isn't it? Does this WU time work for you? Otherwise you can use this opportunity to move WU a bit later.

There's no need to worry about your supply. It will adjust to his needs. You might be uncomfortable for a few days and wake up engorged but it will adjust soon. Pumping before going to bed helps.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 20:52:19 pm »
Well I think since it was slightly ealier than his normal wakeup is why and he's been slightly under the weather so maybe that played a role. That wu would work fine. I've never really given him a time he just started getting up at 630 pretty regularly for the past few weeks. It wasn't completely dark but we were still in his room so he may have been confused lol. His naps have fallen at the same time though so I think he doesn't feel 100%.

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 20:53:04 pm »
Which now that I think of it makes me nervous that last night was so smooth...it may have just been a fluke lol

[/url]

Offline ginger428

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 22:13:49 pm »
Wow, that's great! Congrats! Basically a 12 hour night if you don't count the NW. As it for being a fluke..But now you know at least he can do it, whether or not he's ill.

You'll probably want to see how today/tonight goes to figure out BT and WU, but one thing I would recommend is to perhaps change the morning feed location if that works for you.  It's another attempt at dissociating sleep with nursing, if that's where you used to nurse him for NWs.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 00:26:26 am »
Yes that makes sense bc I would normally pick him up from his crib and feed him on the bed after a quick cuddle and play. He's going to bed now so fingers crossed for a smooth night :)

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 13:45:15 pm »
So last night went ok. He woke at 1030 and it took me about 30-45 min to settle him and he was down again until 330 and that took me about 15-20 to resettle and again up at 5 and he resettled quick that time. He woke up at 630 and I nursed him in a bright room and he fell asleep again! 2 more hours....what do you think it's about?

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 15:48:13 pm »
Well, it feels like he is not ready to wake up at that time. Either you wake him back up immediately or you decide that say, 7 am is WU time and wake him up once more at that time.

One more thought, hun -- You had a nurse to sleep association, right, which you are weaning, right? Maybe this is just a continuation of that? He finally relaxes completely and goes to sleep

Offline ginger428

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 16:11:09 pm »
Did he fall asleep while nursing? Then u placed him in the crib? You'll either have to decide to settle him without nursing at this time to eliminate all night feedings or keep this NF but run tr risk of sleep training taking longer. If you keep the Nf, I would try to keep him awake and put him down awake.I never liked doing that but it works after a little while!

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 17:13:50 pm »
Yes new kid the nurse to sleep ( but it was only at nws). Ginger he did fall asleep while nursing and I laid him down. Is it considered a nf even though it's at 630 am? Maybe I need to just wait a bit to feed him. Like say wait till 7. Get him up change he his diaper and play a bit before that first am feed? I don't mind the later wake up (and to be honest those 2 extra hrs yesterday and today have been great lol) but it's throwing off his whole day. Today km trying to push out his nap so he only has 1 but it won't make it too ot at bt. I'm aiming for 1 pm which is in about 45 min.  And then depending on how long that nap is we may have to do an early bt which may even put us back on track.

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 11:18:12 am »
So I'm up for my one day of work and just realized ds slept through the night!!!! He woke at 345 and fussed for about 30 seconds and went down on his own. Of course I'm still exhausted bc I was waking out of habit every few hrs and kept checking that he was breathing lol...

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19:11 am »
So that means (so far ) he's been down 730-630.

[/url]

Offline ginger428

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:14 am »
Well done mama! Keep us updated!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 14:20:35 pm »
Hurrah! ;D

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 17:20:48 pm »
So I know tonight is a possible regression night but how long typically would sleep training last?

[/url]

Offline ginger428

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 23:58:30 pm »
Positive thoughts! No regression! ;)

Totally depends on the age, temperament, and skill set of the child.  Seems like your DS "gets it" and just imo might be only 5-7 days or so to work out the kinks.

Are you doing nap training, too?

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 13:46:43 pm »
No the naps are perfect. Goes down 100% independently...always has actually.
Last night went great. Down at our normal time. Up atb1230 and fussed for about 1 minute and then down until 5:50. Dh was already up for work and ds wasn't fussing hard just consistently so I got up to wash my face and brush my teeth thinking he might be wanting to get up but ds ended up going back down until 8. Is he getting too much sleep now? I know he's sick...He's got green snort and coal in his eyes but yesterday his naps were almost 3 hrs in total on top of getting about 12.5 last night. I figured this is something they regulate on their own and that if he's sleeping fine with no problems at bt and nap time it's ok?
We were planning on doing it through Saturday night and then we are hoping we can go back into our bed. Do you think it will be ok for ds to stay in his crib I our room with us in there or is it time to move him into dd room to share like we had always planned?

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 15:32:22 pm »
Babies do need a lot more sleep when they are ill. Their bodies need it to heal. Since it isn't affecting his nights, let him sleep. Once he is better, it is best not to allow too much day sleep otherwise it will start affecting your nights and we don't want that:)

I personally feel that it is much easier for both DD and me when we are in our separate rooms ;D But you also have your DD to think about. IIWM, I would give it a go moving him to DD's room

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 16:37:21 pm »
Thanks! He still seems to be under the weather. I hate him being sick. Bow that he's sleeping so much it's making me nervous like it's more than teething ykwim?

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 16:38:46 pm »
Go in to the docs if you are worried, hun

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 14:03:09 pm »
Well he just popped his top 2 teeth through sooo....I think that was the xulprit. He was up at his normal time today and seems much more energized lol!!

[/url]