Author Topic: Almost 10 months old...ready for 2-1 nap transition or too early?  (Read 11656 times)

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Well, I'm back again for more nap advice from you wonderful ladies!  DD will be 10 months old in a week now (can't believe how fast time flies!), and I have had her on a pretty good schedule the past few weeks.  It looked something like this:

wake-up:  7:30 am
E
A 3 hr 45 min morning A time
S 11:15-12:45 pm or so (usually she did 1.5 - 1 hr 45 min first nap)
E
A did not do a set afternoon A time as I was focusing on getting a longer first nap and played the afternoon by ear but usually around 3 hr 30 min A time or so
S 4:15 - 5:15 pm (had been capping second nap at 1 hour)
E
A  around 2 hr 15 min awake to bedtime
S bed time at 7:30 pm

However, in the past few days, this EASY has not been working well for us again.  It seems to be constantly changing faster than I can keep up!   :P  The morning awake time of 3 hr 45 min started producing 1 hr 15 min or so naps...then 1 hour naps...and now today was a 49 min first nap.  I have also started to notice in the past few days that her afternoon nap has actually been better than her first nap (she has previously been one to do a good first nap, bad second nap).  First nap today was 49 min and second nap was 1 hr 27 min.  I have not been doing a set A time after first nap as I had been playing it by ear and focusing on the first nap.  It's strange because she is now acting so tired and inconsolable before she can make it to the 3 hr 45 min awake time mark so I've actually given in a few times and let her go to bed a little earlier with differing results (sometimes this gave us a good nap, sometimes not).  I'm not sure what is going on.  I read that the awake time for this age is 3-4 hours. 

Does 3 hr 45 min first awake time sound good for this age?

Is it unusual for her to want to decrease rather than increase her awake time if that was working?  This is what she seems she wants to do though in the morning now.

Does her wanting a shorter AM nap and longer PM nap the past few days signal the beginning of the 2-1 nap transition maybe?  I could not find the link explaining this, but I thought there was one.  If there is, could someone please send it to me?  Or does this just mean I have her morning awake time wrong again and need to increase/decrease?

Thanks so much for your help/advice!  :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Almost 10 months old...ready for 2-1 nap transition or too early?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:25 am »
Wow 10 months already...time flies FM!

Hmm it does seem like she is in the very beginning stage of the 2-1. There is a sticky, I will have a look for it, some have been moved around.

Being that she is naturally shorten the am and doing a longer pm I would capitilize on that and see how it goes. The goal is for that first nap to become a catnap while bringing the second one earlier, eventually leading to one nap. I am too impatient for that so my three all went cold turkey 2-1 (luckily they are like me!). Is night sleep going fine? We got ew/nw when day sleep needed a big shift so if that is going well then I would follow her lead a bit and then tweak a bit if needed.
Heidi

Heidi

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 13:27:51 pm »
Wow 10 months already...time flies FM!

I know...I can't believe it!

Yes, that is the sticky I was looking for...thanks for finding it for me!  :)  I did take a look at it as well.  I see you said it does seem like she is in the beginning stages of the 2-1 transition.  I guess I was thinking when they started showing signs that they were just ready to switch to 1 nap.  However, I read that it doesn't necessarily mean that, and they could linger in this transition for months.  I must admit I don't know how patient I'll be with this as you said.  Did yours do okay going cold turkey to 1 nap?  I would like to try for awhile though to keep her on 2 naps until she is a bit older and can handle longer awake times better though.

Is night sleep going fine?

Yes, thankfully night sleep is going well!  She generally sleeps from 7:30 pm - 7:30 am (and sometimes I even have to wake her at 7:30 am).  She sometimes does 11-11.5 hour nights, but generally it is closer to 12 hours.  She will sometimes cry out or make a noise in the middle of the night but doesn't ever really wake-up as a true NW, and we are not having problems with EW right now either thank goodness.

With a 7:30 am - 7:30 pm day, when would the 1 nap eventually take place, and how long should I expect the one nap to be?

In the meantime, would you just keep the 3 hr 45 min A time in the morning and deal with the shorter AM nap and focus on the PM nap now?  Or should I increase/decrease this first A time at all?  Just not sure what to do next!  Thanks!  :)

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 13:35:03 pm »
Oh good I thought that was the right link! I have cut my thumb so I will be brief with my post (I only have my phone for internet and touch typing doesn't work well with a bandage :P).

If nights are good she is most likely not ready for one nap quite yet. For morning A - if you want to keep that nap short I wouldnt worry about the A time really unless you get EW. If you want to move the morning nap out and have a short pm nap then I would push it a bit. We did one nap when they got to 4.5 hrs A time or so. DD2 was a 7:30/7:30 sleeper and did a nap (was 10 months at 2-1 time) at about noon for 2.5 - 3 hours. She was higher sleep needs. DD3 went to one nap at 7.5 months and napped at 11:30 at first but was pushed out to 12 and 12:30 quite fast. Shorter naps though, never more than 2 hrs now down to 45 min (very low sleep needs).
Heidi

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 13:54:01 pm »
Oh good I thought that was the right link! I have cut my thumb so I will be brief with my post (I only have my phone for internet and touch typing doesn't work well with a bandage ).

Oh goodness!  Hope it heals soon!  :)

If nights are good she is most likely not ready for one nap quite yet.

Thanks for this information!  This is helpful and good to know.  It seems as if as soon as I figure out A times, etc. and how to get her to take better naps...it all of a sudden changes again!  Then, it takes me awhile to figure things out again!  I was originally wanting to keep the morning nap longer and the PM nap shorter so I had been pushing morning A time.  DD is the one who seemed to be doing a shorter AM nap/longer PM nap on her own lately so I wasn't sure if I should go with that instead.  It's also helpful to know that you went to one nap at about 4.5 hours or so.  I will keep this in mind as well.  I'm thinking I may try to push her morning awake time a bit and see what happens today if she seems to be doing okay.  Will let you know how we do!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 19:18:28 pm »
I know...these silly kids like to change things just when we get used to something! Hope the A time push works in your favour!
Heidi

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 19:57:51 pm »
I know...these silly kids like to change things just when we get used to something! Hope the A time push works in your favour!

Haha!  They sure do!  :)

Well, I added 15 min to her morning A time...so gave her 4 hours morning A time today.  She napped for 1 hour 13 min!  :)  It's not the 1.5-2 hours I would like exactly but better than she had been doing.  Would you stick with this a few days and see what happens?  Could it take a few days for the nap to lengthen again to see if this is a good morning A time for her or not maybe?

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 22:35:56 pm »
Well, I tried 3 hr 15 min for second A time, and she did a 48 min nap.  A 1 hour 13 min nap and a 48 min nap isn't exactly where I want to be right now though.  :(  I'm thinking of keeping the 4 hour morning A time for a few days to see if I can get the morning nap to lengthen but wonder if I should push the second A time a bit to get at least an hour nap.  What do you think?

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 02:25:05 am »
Okay, I give up!  So, I thought nights were fine, but it took DD an hour to fall asleep tonight!  After her 48 min afternoon nap, she had 2 hr 47 min awake time to bed. Normally she falls asleep on her own in ten minutes or less.  I did forget that she did this last night for the first time as well. She is quiet in there so I left her to try to fall asleep.  On her monitor, I could see her just playing, kicking feet, and heard babbling at times as well. Not upset...just not sleeping. When I went in to check in her, she gave me a great big smile like it was playtime!  Haha!  After she did this last night at bedtime, she slept the whole night.  We will see about tonight, but what do you think this indicates?  I'm feel clueless right now!

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:53:12 am »
Your day is eXACTLy how ours has just gone except last 50 min nAp ended at only 2.30pm 😩😩 going to be such an early night now. Hmfttttt I'm stuck too. Guess we'll just have to try get through the horrible time and know it won't last forever !!

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:57:54 am »
She totally sounds under tired at bedtime...that A to bed time is quite short really, which is why when one pushes the morning A to get a longer nap you also have to balance that by either bringing the second nap earlier &/or capping it or making bedtime a bit later until she is on one nap. Often the day has to lenghten a bit to fit in the two naps and enough A time to be tired enough for bed.
Heidi

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 15:34:09 pm »
I agree she acted UT last night. I know the awake time to bed is pretty short, but she has previously always liked this time to be short. Usually she needs to be asleep by 730 in order to do a good 12 hour night. In the past when she has gone to bed later than that, she wakes too early in the morning. She may be changing the game on me now though....haha!  Could you let me know a new EASY I may could aim for considering she usually wakes between 715-730 am and I want to aim for 4 hour morning A time and keep two naps for now?  Not sure how to space all of this out. What do you think?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 18:48:31 pm »
Stopping by as I saw the message on your old thread. You've already had great advice, mainly don't try to get a long second nap, don't let her be UT for BT and BT may need to move later for a short while.

Based on how your DD has slept in the past I would use option 2 on that link (go and have another read I think you'll see you were successful before in increasing the first A time and letting that be a decent nap and then working from there for the rest of the day - let me know what you think).
So I would increase first A to a point you get a really good first nap, reduce second A (it can be very short, just don't fight her to bed, she needs to be tired enough to agree to the nap), do CN (hurrah you no long need to worry about trying to get this longer!), then a decent A to BT so that she doesn't fight you. maybe later BT for a while then EBT when the CN drops.
There is no set routine to follow but your day might look something like this
WU 7.30
A 4hr
S 11.30 - 1.00 (1.5hr or longer)
A 3hr (could be shorter if she agrees to it)
S 4.00 - 4.45 (30 to 45 min CN) (30 mins gives longer A time to bed but she might get the grouch)
A 3hr (may need to be longer if you get BT resistance)
BT 7.30/7.45 (only move later if needed)

FWIW we also went cold turkey in the end because mine could not have a capped CN. Some will do a short nap and be happy some won't (mine).  But we got to 12 months before totally moving to one nap. Pretty horrendous nap drop for us as it turned out but we got through it :) And you will too, no matter how it turns out.  You can probably find a steady to keep you going for another few months yet.

Once you hit a 5hr+ first A time you can drop the CN and do early BT instead.
WU 7.30
A 5hr
S 12.30 - 2.30
A 4hr or less
EBT 6.30 or earlier, even 5.30
if you get super long nights (13 -14 hrs) they are unlikely to last for very long and you'll know to move BT a bit later again.

Hope this helps :)

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 20:56:45 pm »
Stopping by as I saw the message on your old thread. You've already had great advice, mainly don't try to get a long second nap, don't let her be UT for BT and BT may need to move later for a short while.

Thank you so much for stopping by as well!  :)  Yes, I agree with trying to get a first long nap and not being UT for BT.

I like the EASY sample schedule you gave.  However, for the past two days I have tried 4 hour awake time with no luck.  :(  Yesterday, DD did a 35 minute morning nap and today was 30 min.  :(  I'm starting to wonder if she's waking because she is hungry, and I may need to work on changing her feeding schedule as her day is lengthening.  With the sample schedule you gave, when would you suggest milk/food feeds?

Also, should I stick with the 4 hours morning awake time for a few more days?  Or maybe I have it wrong and she wasn't ready to be stretched to 4 hours yet?  I can't wait for this morning nap to lengthen so we can just do afternoon CN and not have to worry with that nap being long anymore!  :) 

FWIW we also went cold turkey in the end because mine could not have a capped CN. Some will do a short nap and be happy some won't (mine).  But we got to 12 months before totally moving to one nap. Pretty horrendous nap drop for us as it turned out but we got through it  And you will too, no matter how it turns out.  You can probably find a steady to keep you going for another few months yet.

I may end up having to go cold turkey in the end, but I'm not ready to yet.  I see you made it to 12 months before you had to.  DD will be 10 months next week, and I'd like to try and make it at least that long as well!  :)

As far as afternoon nap, yesterday she had about 3.5 hours awake after the 35 min morning nap....she napped about 38 min in the afternoon.  So, today she seemed very tired after her 30 min morning nap, and I tried putting her down after 3 hours awake time to get a longer afternoon nap just for today since morning was so short.  However, she only napped about 35 minutes again.  :(  While I'm working on getting the morning nap to lengthen, what awake time would you suggest after a 30-35 min morning nap to try to get her to take a good afternoon nap if the morning nap fails?  Thanks so much!  :)