Author Topic: Same nap time when lo wakes late in morning?  (Read 8943 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Same nap time when lo wakes late in morning?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 21:28:28 pm »
My kids get goofy and silly and ott hyper when tired so I have no experience of the cranky/crabby tiredness at all really. UT scares me way more than OT frankly! Also in the toddler stage it can be hard to know how much is due to tiredness or what is just development and being a stubborn toddler!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2015, 22:11:42 pm »
But when can he handle a longer night with nnd? On nnd he wakes at 730 and I'll put him to sleep at 630. On days if he naps he wakes at 7 in bed by 8!

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2015, 23:26:14 pm »
Do you mean when will he handle a longer day on no nap?
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2015, 23:51:59 pm »
Yes his nights are so bad he doesn't listen he's hitting and throwing stuff walking into things getting hurt. He's exhausted and cranky. When will he be able to stay up a bit later than 630 and be happy ?!

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2015, 03:43:08 am »
There is really no way to know tbh...my DD3 is 21.5 months and had her first nnd at home (on purpose as she had a great night last night so I decided to axe the nap for today) and although she was acting silly and goofy by 7 pm (wake up was 8 am or so) I did not put her to bed until almost 8 pm. DH could not even tell she was giving subtle tired signs (eye rubbing, laying down to read when she normally would not) and I doubt anyone besides me would have realized she had been up for 12 hours. He may still need that nap at least some of the time so I would not expect the nnd's to be long days for some time yet. My DD has been having nnd's at daycare already and was down to a 30-45 min nap anyways so not a huge leap to no nap for us.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 14:07:13 pm »
So I guess I just still put him down for nap everyday and do a few wiwos to see if he might settle? Otherwise I guess I'll just stick to the 630/645 bedtime for now. He literally hits the bed and passes out and sleeps until 7/730 am!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 17:39:21 pm »
Sounds good!  Fwiw DD dropped her nap a year ago and is still going to bed at the same time (6.30pm).  She sleeps until 6-6.30am most days I think but stays in her room until lights on her clock at 6.40am.  So just my experience but I wouldn't expect bedtime to be shooting later any time soon.  Of course once stable without a nap you could always shift your day to a later BT and hopefully later WU if you want to.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2015, 02:11:07 am »
I guess I'll see when he starts to give me trouble at bedtime needing more A time. 630 is so early though he's missing out on time with his daddy and I feel bad about it :( still going to try for a nap everyday.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
We had our first NW!! Haven't had a NW since he was an infant! I had no idea what to do. At 3:15 i heard him crying on monitor I went in and tried to calm him put him back in crib left room and he started crying. I did wiwo again and he did same thing he does at nap he was awake and would cry and I left room. I finally had to let him cry for a few minutes and then he settled but I heard him again around 430/5 talking. Why are we getting nws? Yesterday he was up at 730 he didn't nap and was asleep by 630 his norm these days. And he's already moving around at 630! Help!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2015, 17:57:21 pm »
I thought for sure he would be tired from being up during the night and nap but it's 2 pm and nothing. He's fighting it crying and calling me from crib! Why the nw?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2015, 18:19:33 pm »
Could be accumulated OT hun, he's still very young not to be napping even with short days.  Are you still offering a nap?  What time?  Have you tried an early nap?  DD would go down some days at 4.5-5h after WU when very tired in the 1-0 x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2015, 18:28:21 pm »
I think you are right about the ot as he's never woken in the middle of the night. Yes I'm still offering the nap around 130. Today I put him in at 145 he cried and called me I wiwo sat in his room for a few minutes he was standing in his crib talking to me so I walked out of room leaving his door open and he didn't cry but continued to call me and chat away so I just left him for a bit and he fell asleep at 205! The accumulated ot is tricky though because I offer the nap every day. The last time he napped was Friday I think. He's been doing a nap every 3-4 days and on the days he doesn't nap he's usually up at 7/730 and asleep by 630 so sleeping 13 hours which I thought would help not to get the accumulated ot. On days he does nap like today he was up at 745 which is late probably due to being up a lot during the night fell asleep around 2 and I'll probably need to wake him around 3 right in order to put him to bed for 8? Which is his usual bedtime when he does nap but he usually naps longer than an hour about 1.5 that is when he does nap every few days or so. How else can I avoid the ot? Thanks so much

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 20:06:29 pm »
Not sure you can......it's not that he isn't doing well with those 13h nights, that's a good amount of sleep I agree, it's just that the 11h A time is totally exhausting for them and several days of that in a row leads to OT whatever you do.  You can do an earlier bedtime still although I know you're not keen on that but tbh we didn't go earlier than 6.30pm once NNDs became quite frequent.  All you can do is try to muddle through for now and accept some OT is inevitable.  If he won't nap, you can't make him in which case EBT is your friend, and keep offering the opportunity for a nap if it looks like he might go x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2015, 21:40:45 pm »
Ok so should I try a shorter day than 11 hours in days he doesn't nap? If he wakes at 730 should bedtime be 6 instead?  I'm
Confused as to when bedtime should be on days like today. He was up at 745 after a bad night with nw and napped late 2-330 ( I woke him). Should I do 8? What a difference from 6!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2015, 12:04:19 pm »
I wouldn't think he'd go down before 8....I personally am very wary of longer naps once NNDs start happening, a catch up nap always backfired here spectacularly with a very short or disturbed night :(. I found it better to keep my normal BT or early BT within 30-60 mins of each other (so with nap 7pm, without 6-6.30pm) and would wake from a late nap to keep to that.

On NNDs some people do a 10.5 or even 10h day to begin with.  There is no right answer though, you just have to try things and see how they suit your LO x