Author Topic: Few questions before doing this properly....  (Read 4286 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Few questions before doing this properly....
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 07:52:49 am »
It is a pain really all this - I mean - I may give him a yoghurt at 10 months and he is fine yk?!! But the idea of doing that now makes me feel queasy since he is sleeping and gaining and generally doing OK.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 07:58:26 am »
That's very annoying isn't it. Maybe they don't have milk in the ingredients but like so many products it is produced in a place with milk so they can't guarantee there isn't any in there.

There's this gluten free lactose free cereal
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/tropical-fruit-cereal

This is the stuff I made muesli balls with for DS, I do think the texture would be ok with water but it is not gluten free so would only be an option if you did that gluten trial
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/my-first-muesli

I made those muesli balls for years...when he eventually started having it more like a cereal with a spoon it was a similar texture to something like ready brek.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 08:06:29 am »
They sound like a good idea, thanks  :-* :-*.

Now, I need to think about what sort of HC to use as he won't be able to sit well enough in a tripp trapp for a few weeks yet  ::) ::)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 08:11:09 am »
I know it must feel like a pain Liz but I think you'll find your groove.
FWIW mine was totally fine with cows milk, no issue at all, but could never eat yoghurt. He can manage some now, but back then it made him vom and caused reflux flares. Same with rice, could not eat it, still can't, he will have half a teaspoon now and again but rice has always made him sick (rice cakes, baby rice, rice pudding, boiled rice). Once you find ways around the food issues, what to give, how to prepare, I'm sure you will settle into it and it won't seem quite so bad.
If you have one cereal, one way to prepare egg, one of this, one of that, it will come together (with lots of steamed or baked veggies which are always easy to prepare). I realise it seems daunting and it is highly annoying that so many products end up being a no-go due to how they are manufactured rather than their actual ingredients. It is a pain.  :-*

The Ikea high chair is amazing - very inexpensive too, £13.
We have a baby dan, similar to the TT, I put a folded towel behind DS in both high chairs (the ikea antilop was a better fit in the very early days but I did use both) which made a lovely snug seat and yk he was little.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 08:45:51 am »
Yes there is no actual milk in the ready brek itself. It is just that the possibility of cross contamination is high in the production process. 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:04 am »
My DD1 had multiple food allergies as a baby and this phase was such a pain.  We slowly introduced each food, then stressed about whether she was reacting, etc.   But there are tons of substitutes and new products out there now.  Things like little rice puffs, pastas, cereals, etc. etc.

Just throwing this out there.  We ended up waiting til she was over 7 months to start, maybe almost 8.  Just remember, there's no rush, you're just introducing new tastes and textures slowly and he's still getting almost all his nutrients from the nutramigen.  Her first food was avocado.  Banana is also a good one. Apple sauce.  If you're anxious to get going, just let him play with a banana for a week or 2 while you slowly figure out how to get everyone fed, yk?

I second the Ikea high chair.  Ours has been thru multiple kids of all ages and it is so affordable.