Author Topic: Chosing solids over milk  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Chosing solids over milk
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:49:37 am »
DD2 has never been a big milk drinker but now she is established on 3 meals a day her milk intake is dropping. Her routine is a bit like this

WU 7:30
E    7:40 2-3oz
E    8:10 2tbsp porridge with 2oz milk, 2tbsp fruit purree mixed in
S    10:40 - 12:10
E    12:30 1/4 slice bread sandwich with hummous / cream cheese / pate and 1 cherry tomato, 1 grape, maybe a couple cubes of cheese, small yoghurt
E   14:50 3oz
S  15:20 - 16:20
E 16:30 pasta with tomato sauce, custard / rice pudding / yoghurt
BT 19:20 4oz

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Chosing solids over milk
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:12 am »
Might want to mention those overnight bottles Hun ;) :-* they count in her intake, last post I think she'd had about 10oz overnight?  Not sure if that's usual for her but will affect the day times if she's having significant amounts at night.  Did you have a particular question you wanted help with? Xx
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:16:21 am by jessmum46 »

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
That was a particularly bad night. It's usually 5oz at night and usually around when her df used to be, she still wakes then. Even this morning she only took 2oz and last night was only 3oz for BT bottle then 5oz at 22:30. Some days she might only take 9oz during the day then 5oz at night x

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:35 am »
I guess cutting down the night feed may help with hunger in the morning. She doesn't look to be having excessive amounts of solids to me, others may feel differently but mine would have been eating at least that much at that age. You could use opportunities to get extra milk into foods - so on cereal, cheese sauce for veg/pasta, make your own rice pudding or custard with formula. Also potentially swap second bottle and lunch around so bottle on WU from nap then lunch an hour or so later which might increase her intake a bit more.  Although milk is most important before age 1 it is a gradual transition and I generally wouldn't be trying to backtrack too far on solids now provided health and growth ok.  But you could try other ways of getting it into her (maybe she'd even like a straw cup or sippy with her meal?) and see if that changes things?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:32 am »
She does like water from her straw cup so I'll try that.  She didn't have any milk last night and this morning she had 2oz,  I tried again 30 mins later and she just point blank refused it.  Should I just not be conserned that she may only have 12oz or so a day if she is eating well x

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:22:37 am »
Hmm just tried a wee 4oz bottle 10 mins before her nap and she drained it. Maybe I should do breakfast before milk x

My angel baby girl

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:34:31 am »
Hmm 12oz total is pretty low...I wouldn't do solids first if milk intake is a concern, surely that would make her even less hungry ??? In a sense though no I guess I wouldn't worry if you've tried everything possible to improve her milk intake - so before solids, with and in meals, different cups etc. Ultimately she will only take what she will take yk?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 18:09:53 pm »
Hi
Based on the 12oz you  listed in your first post, plus the dairy she is taking in solid food, I wouldn't be too concerned, even if there are no overnight milk feeds. If there is a night feed or dream feed then obviously that adds to her intake.
If you look at the dairy solids they can add up eg:
maybe a couple cubes of cheese, small yoghurt
a small yoghurt like a petit filous is 55g which is almost 2oz
a cube of cheese, depends on the size of cube of course but roughly a 1" cube is 1oz of dairy (different cheese have different levels of calcium but this is just a rough guide)
custard / rice pudding / yoghurt
depends on the serving size of course but lets say a quarter cup of custard or yoghurt is roughly 2oz, I'd think rice pudding would be a bit less due to the bulk taken up with the rice but even so it's likely still an oz.

So there's a chance there is another 5oz of dairy in her solids, you also mention cream cheese which counts too.
Based on all that I wouldn't worry. Some LOs are just going to take a bit less than the guidance amount.

There are a few things you could do to add milk to solids to bump up the intake, extra milk powder can be added to things like porridge and custard (ie adding formula powder or regular dried milk) and also to baked goods such as muffins and pancakes where you just add dry powder to the regular recipe. This would increase her dairy solids intake without a lot of bulk added iyswim.
You can also use condensed milk for recipes rather than regular cows milk, evaporated milk (not sweetened) has roughly double the calcium of regular milk.
That said, mine took half the guidance milk, there is no way he would take more milk in place of solids (he'd taken half milk before he was even given solids) and when I tried to increase his milk intake through solids (like increasing cheese, adding milk powder to recipes, making milk puddings and custard etc etc) the more milk in his solids the less he drank from a bottle - it was just like he knew how much milk he was getting and didn't want a drop more.  I actually cut most of his dairy solids out and saw an increase in formula intake. At the time (as he was under 12 months) I preferred for him to take the formula rather than the dairy solids, the formula has a lot of added nutrients which the dairy solids didn't offer so I felt it was better for him, but it also meant I did not need to cut back on solids, just offered different things rather than dairy (still had a bit of cheese), more fruit and veg.
hth

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 18:49:08 pm »
Thanks for popping on. I was sure I remembered reading somewhere about cutting back on dairy in solids to increase milk intake, so it must have been you. I will give that a go and see what happens. Like your LO she has never had a large milk intake but more than she has now.

I never even thought about adding formula powder into food, I just assumed I would make it into milk and use that so that's a brilliant idea. DD2 does love her dairy, any cheese she can get her hands on.

On a slight change of note, she adores pate she will just eat cubes of it over having it on toast any day but I assume it is quite salty. Is it you that has a recipe for a homemade one, if so could I possible have it please.

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 19:00:52 pm »
Yes there's a pate recipe on the baby recipes thread, but tbh you can just google any pate recipe, looks for the simplest, and leave out the salt (and any alcohol that is mentioned!!).  It's basically just livers cooked in water with herbs then whizzed finely and loads of butter (or butter and cream cheese) added.  Pour in pots or tubs, put a piece of well fitting grease proof paper on the top to reduce the air contact and (when they are cool) you can freeze them. I put in plastic tubs with lids but still add the paper to reduce freezer burn and wetness on the pate.
There are some reduce salt shop pates but the salt content was the reason I made my own too, at this age you do still need to be careful with salt even though they appear to be tucking into proper meals and seem to eat in such a grown up way.

I was sure I remembered reading somewhere about cutting back on dairy in solids to increase milk intake, so it must have been you
Yes it will have been me :)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 13:53:23 pm »
Thanks honey x

My angel baby girl