Author Topic: 3yo gives up naps, nighttime sleep tanks too!  (Read 846 times)

Offline Lumukanda

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3yo gives up naps, nighttime sleep tanks too!
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:22 pm »
The week prior to bringing home our newborn three months ago, my 3yo gave up naps. She has never taken one again/quit cold turkey. Broke this mommy's heart. :) Before this, she would sleep from 7pm - 7 or 7:30am, and a 2-hour nap from 2pm on.

We began putting her to bed one hour earlier (6pm) because she could not make it until 7pm without her nap. However, things have gotten progressively worse/harder. She's been having night wakings where she's awake for several hours at night playing - we seem to have gotten that under control now, but it started a very bad cycle. Now she will go to bed at 6pm - she fall asleep almost instantly - but she is awake by 6am. Occasionally she's stayed up later (an event or something has kept her up) and I've hoped it might help, but then she is awake by 6am or even earlier.

We do have "rest time" for 1 or 1.5 hours in the afternoon, but she has only taken a nap during it one time. More often, she is causing an awful ruckus and getting into trouble and danger.

She is extremely cross during the day (touchy/grumpy as a baby), and so am I! I have another 3yo and also a newborn, and I would love if I could get my little girl more well-rested to make for pleasant days for all of us.

Please advise me if you can! I appreciate any and all input! :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3yo gives up naps, nighttime sleep tanks too!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 18:40:19 pm »
If it were me I would probably cancel rest time and give her a safe activity to do instead. Mine dropped his 2hr nap cold turkey at 31 months and has never had rest time. He does 12hr nights. Rest time will only be when he chooses for instance he'll ask to watch a movie or will get himself a book to read or a jigsaw to do if he has had a very physical activity and is tired out (if really tired he's like a zombie in front of the TV but as soon as he is recovered he is up again and doing something else).

How's her eating - sometimes a healthy snack can help with the grumps. Mine will often forget to have a snack unless reminded and can end up quite tried and grumpy as a result.  An apple has an amazing effect!

For the night time I would just shift her whole routine by the hour like for day light savings clock changes. At this age I'd do 30 min shift for a day or two then another 30 min shift. If she has a very strong body clock which wakes her at 6am every morning despite the later BT then go beyond the hour change, go to 1.5hr, even 2hr, her body clock *will* shift. Once it shifts you gently and slowly bring BT a little earlier each night until you reach 7pm - 7am again.

Offline Lumukanda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 14:53:31 pm »
I'm sorry, I somehow missed your reply earlier - thank you sincerely for this wise advice!!! Will be trying all of your suggestions. I appreciate your insights so much.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 18:38:18 pm »
No problem.
Let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions :)

Offline Lumukanda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 23:13:45 pm »
Will do, thank you!