Author Topic: Nearly 12mo still waking all night - where to start?!  (Read 1028 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Nearly 12mo still waking all night - where to start?!
« on: May 21, 2015, 18:54:04 pm »
Hi

DS is nearly 1 and is still waking anywhere between 5 and I lose count some nights! We are in SUCH a mess and I just don't know where to start with sorting it out.

He is under a paediatrician for silent reflux - currently taking omeprazole and he has CMPI so is on WySoy formula and we are very gradually introducing cows milk into his diet.

His 'routine' is:
Wake between 5.30 and 6.30 depending on how bad the night has been
Nap usually between 9.30 and 10 depending on WU time. Has about 1.5-2 hrs. Usually wakes at least once and needs resettling.
Nap again about 4/4.30 depending on what time we're back from the school run and how dd is. Usually has about 30mins.
BT is about 7.30 although saying that, it's now 8.20pm and he's messing around in his cot.

NW'S are regular after that. He usually wakes upset and wants milk to settle back down - we try resettling in cot first, then pick him up, then milk if all else fails. I'm not so good in the middle of the night if I'm honest as I know he'll settle with milk. I'm wondering if this is from when his reflux was bothering him and milk would soothe it?

He is not an independent sleeper. Usually needs to suck my finger to go to sleep although this is getting a little less. That or he'll fall asleep on me. We always end up co - sleeping as he wakes so often.

I start a new job in about 6 weeks which is more hours and more demanding.  I NEED him to sleep better. I cannot go in having hardly slept.

I just don't know where to start??? Any advice would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 19:19:00 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: Nearly 12mo still waking all night - where to start?!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 21:50:31 pm »
I don't have any BTDT experience I'm afraid but I can hold your hand though it, and this post will give you a bump :) I think I'd tackle the independent sleeping first, but I have no experience of reflux so I don't know how that might affect things. Is the reflux under control?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 22:07:11 pm »
if you think reflux may be bothering him then I'd get him reflux meds reviewed rather than feeding him 5 times at night.

Do you think the cows milk is making things worse?

I would sleep train for naps and nights and then wean the night feeds once he has those self-settling skills.

I'd also start pushing that morning nap later so you can drop the CN and hopefully get a longer night.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 22:47:52 pm »
Hi Kate :)

Sadly, the way it reads to me is that the reflux is bothering him. Not being an independent sleeper clouds the issue a bit but TBH, I wouldn't think he'd be waking that frequently without discomfort playing at least a part.

The wakings in the first nap - usually 30min or 45 or something else? Just wondering if a tweak might help though I imagine it would be minimal given that he's looking for milk when he wakes. Its not really looking like a pattern of OT/UT loop.

What are your thoughts on the introduction of cows milk? DYT that could be making it worse? I presume that's under the direction of the paediatrician too so wouldn't say not to follow the advice of your doctor however if the nights are worse since introducing milk back into his diet, it could be worth mentioning to re-evaluate.

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46:51 am »
Thank you for your replies. He's on the maximum dose of omeprazole so not sure where we'd go from there? Can it become ineffective?
I agree that it seems to be discomfort waking him - I wish he could tell me!!

We are doing the milk ladder so he hasn't had raw cows milk yet - we have been starting with cooked milk in biscuits etc. And then very gradually moving up to raw cows milk. When he was really symptomatic when first diagnosed he had mucous and blood in his poo. There isn't any of that but his tummy might be sore I guess.

We aren't seeing the paediatrician for a little while but I can stop any cows milk and see if that helps

*Kate*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 10:20:11 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if they could just tell us!

Has the dose been adjusted for weight gain recently? I don't know a lot about the various medications - that may be a question for the CRC board.

How long since you started to re-introduce the cows milk? The damage to the gut takes a while to progress to symptoms of mucous and blood in the poo, I'd reckon, since he's likely healed up by now, no? I know with DS, it took a week or so before his gut healed but it took probably 6 weeks of damage to his gut before he was obviously symptomatic.

Hmmm... if it were me, I'd probably stop the milk and see if it makes a difference - are the  night wakings worse since you started it though?

Hugs xx Wish I could wave a magic wand for you to all get some sleep!