Author Topic: 2 year old - no nap?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Jemimah

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:09:48 am »
Hello,
It's been awhile since I have been here for advice.  DS2 is now 2. Day is 6.45-7.30 for the past while with 1.5 hr nap, and sleeps all the way through the night without a peep.  in the last two weeks, it has all gone downhill.  He was staying up later and later, so we would shorten his nap.  As of last week he was down to a 1 hr nap, and would go to bed at 7.30.  Then he missed a few naps as he wouldn't settle, and we would put him to bed at 6.30 and not hear from him until 7AM the next morning (that was quite lovely):)  BUT now if he has any nap at all, he stays up until at least 10PM!!  WHAT???  This is craziness. No nap at 2?  Can it be true?
And now we are at today.  No nap, and still awake and it's 9PM! UGH.  Did I mention the last two nights also involve jumping out of crib?  Anyone else out there with a munchkin doing this?  Is this normal? 

Nothing out of the ordinary in our lives either.  Developmental?

Any advice appreciated.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 2 year old - no nap?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:23:24 am »
There are usually developmental and growth spurts around birthdays and half birthdays! But also possible for a 2 yr old to nap drop..my 21 month old is pretty close to it, so we will probably in the same boat soon (she already skips naps at daycare a lot).

If he can climb out of the crib that is a bit of a safety concern...will he sleep in a sleep sack? I keep DD3 in one in the hopes that not being able to.lift her leg will stop her escaping!
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:49:23 am »
My DS was just over 2.5 when he dropped his nap but amongst his friends the same age there were lots who dropped their nap at 2yo, in fact it really felt we were the odd ones out needing to be home in time for the nap so that our entire day/week didn't get screwed up, many times we left play dates in time to get home for nap whilst the other kids all just continued to play all afternoon.

If a sleep sac doesn't help to stop those crib jumps I'd transition to BBB asap.

Offline Jemimah

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 14:11:37 pm »
Thanks Ladies very helpful.  DS2 is in a sleepsac, but takes it off, and his pjs (and his diaper for that matter) and crawls out of the crib.  Time for a BBB:)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 14:14:24 pm »
My DS started to drop his nap aged two, and it really was the best thing ever once we were done with it. Can you drop the nap and transition to a bed at the same time?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Jemimah

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 14:25:36 pm »
Yes, I think that is a great plan:) 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 02:46:05 am »
I agree...that way with no nap and a bbb he may be so tired at bedtime he won't be getting in and out of bed a lot!
Heidi